Valuable Articles Insurance

but that is clothing not bags...

I was told they all went into the same category (personal effects, or something like that) -- bags, shoes, clothing. The $10,000 I quoted was the standard amount of coverage with my policy. I had to purchase additional for anything beyond that amount. So I purchased additional to cover shoes and bags. China was an additional expense -- they only covered a 'standard' amount for household items (don't remember the number for this, though). I remember fur being an additional purchase as well (though I don't own any).

^ I don't understand the limits because the more your insure, the more the companies can make money with a higher insurance premium.

LaVan -- perhaps I'm being unclear. Sorry! Basic renters' insurance only covers up to a certain amount. If you believe your closet/collection is worth more than that amount, you would have to purchase additional insurance to cover it. That's what I was referring to -- having to purchase additional coverage beyond the standard renter's policy.

fatefullotus - Can you imagine ... if you have 2 Chanel suits that's already 10,000 lol!

LOL I wish! I own precisely ONE Chanel jacket... which I received through my aunt's Lending Program. :shame: I purchased additional coverage for my clothing, but that's really to cover my miles of DVF dresses and the like. I wish I had more Chanel suits to cover. One day! :love: And you'll be the first person I tell, La Van! :yes:

looking at mine..it says nothing about limits on clothing...but..

1,000 limit on theft of jewelry, watches and fur garments....and garments trimmed with fur...precious and semi-precious stones.

and I know I moved my 1k limit up for misc jewelry.

^--- I have rows of DVF dresses because they're flattering on my less than perfect form and they're foolproof. :sweatdrop: I just picked one up for the summer actually, that now makes me think would be perfect for you for one reason. No, make that 2 lovely reasons! :yes:

NMT1L4V_mn.jpg

looking at mine..it says nothing about limits on clothing...but..

1,000 limit on theft of jewelry, watches and fur garments....and garments trimmed with fur...precious and semi-precious stones.

and I know I moved my 1k limit up for misc jewelry.

Strange! I'm going to take a look at mine tonight and let you know what it says exactly. I remember the jewelry section, and I recall that being higher than $1K. Perhaps the difference is due to geography? :shrugs:

OMG!!! This is gorgeous and will look perfect for my Kellys ... Pinko and even Tokyo Orange! I wonder if you can hem the length since I'm tiny, which website is this?

^--- I have rows of DVF dresses because they're flattering on my less than perfect form and they're foolproof. :sweatdrop: I just picked one up for the summer actually, that now makes me think would be perfect for you for one reason. No, make that 2 lovely reasons! :yes:

NMT1L4V_mn.jpg

I take pictures of my bags and put one copy with the original receipt in our safe and send another photo with a copy of the receipt to our insurance agent. I do the same with my jewelry and any clothing item more than $500. (I don't want to send photos of everything I own to the insurance guy!) I do the same with my scarves, but I wait until I have 4 or 5 new scarves ... I don't send him a pic of every scarf!

I also have photos of everything on a photo sharing site (I use shutterfly). That way they're on "someone else's" server in case something happens to the photos on my computer. I've put photos of the receipts on shutterfly, too, but of course that all is password-protected ... I want friends and family to see photos of us and our daughter -- not evidence of my raging H habit!

One thing folks may wish to consider is thinking of their H (or other luxury items) as a collection. Our agent has suggested getting a seperate rider (sp?) for my handbags because he sees them as a collection much like others collect Lladros or model train stuff. I am in the process of taking pics so I can do this.

Last edited:
Last edited:
One thing folks may wish to consider is thinking of their H (or other luxury items) as a collection. Our agent has suggesting getting a seperate rider (sp?) for my handbags because he sees them as a collection much like others collect Lladros or model train stuff. I am in the process of taking pics so I can do this.

I wanted to do that but you can't on a renters.