Food Falling back in love with sushi...but is it healthy?

i've had sushi from whole foods. they have really delicious brown rice salmon avocado rolls. they're really filling as well for just the 8 pieces. mmm...

i get my brown rice sushi from whole foods too! they have a great variety. i like the shrimp tempura brown rice rolls from WF, not as healthy because of the tempura but oh so good.

i haven't seen brown rice sushi at very many restaurants

I have two Whole Foods I go to. The one that is a little further away out in the suburbs usually has a sashimi combo that is really good with three different types of fish cut in small pieces. For some reason the closer Whole Foods never carries it and just sells the huge chunks of fish.

Sushi is very healthy! Instead of doing all those modifications, you can eat it less often and eat other japanese foods too. Also, there was a study that the cheaper the sushi is, the less mercury there is because it's most likely farmed and had a shorter life so had less time to accumulate mercury. Nobu was a worst offender, and whole foods was low mercury.

Dang!

All these talks about sushi makes me hungry! :drool:

Truly I love sushi, if I can afford it, I would eat it every single day...

I always think sushi is healthy *of course with the exception of the fried filling..however to read some posts here..I just learnt new things!
So thank you!

^^^

I know it tends to be expensive. I hate that! It seems like I usually spend $20 every time I buy it at whole foods. Why does it always cost more to eat more healthy? I could eat at McDonald's for $5.

I *love* sushi, and am up to try anything a Sushi chef hands me (which can be a good or bad thing :lol:). For my birthday we got a plate of Chef's choice Sashimi and Chef's choice Sushi - and tried just random pieces of raw fish - including Octopus :Push:, which I thought was rather good! :yes:

I've always wanted to try the uni (sea urchin) because it looks so creamy and delicious. The sushi man describes it as being a "delicacy" with a "nut-like" flavor. My SO is hesitant - it's on our "goal list" for vacation, lol
feb0df7fb66a33fb_m.jpg

^^^ has anyone tried this? What's to good word? :graucho:

And then this - ikura (salmon roe, I believe):
nama-ikura4.jpg

It looks so interesting!! They look like beautiful shiny orange marbles - but while my SO has no problem eating raw Octopus, this one really grosses him out. Again - a goal of things to try on our "goal list" lol. :lol:

ooo I am a huge lover of octopus! octopus salad, spicy octopus on a bed of seaweed, spicy octopus noodle - there are so many ways to have delicious octopus hehe

I've not had uni yet because we don't carry it at my sushi restaurant but the salmon roe I'm not too huge on - it always catches me off guard when that burst of liquid hits my mouth lol

we love sushi, my son's favorite is the ikura (like the photo above!) the chef's always tease him, because his sister always gets upset...she thinks they are the eggs from Finding Nemo. always drama at our table.

not very adventurous, but a rainbow roll is pretty darn close to heaven for me.

i don't know like u..but i never tried sushi before.until last week ....
i was on dinner with my bf ..we went in to the sushi bar..and that food look so delicious on the small plates going around u..but after few bites..we didn't like it at all...maybe my expectations was too high or something...

I dont really like fish, if I eat it has to be well done. So I have never tried other than California sushi roll :shame: I love it with brown rice. Sometimes I make my own with canned tuna. Its so good. I was told once that sushi is very healty if made properly.

I know it tends to be expensive. I hate that! It seems like I usually spend $20 every time I buy it at whole foods. Why does it always cost more to eat more healthy? I could eat at McDonald's for $5.

you are so right!

Sushis are my life, love them to death.

Brown rice is definitely healthier than white, however I am not sure how sushi would taste like with brown. I just could not care coz I love sushi (or I should say Japanese food) soooooooo much.

we love sushi, my son's favorite is the ikura (like the photo above!) the chef's always tease him, because his sister always gets upset...she thinks they are the eggs from Finding Nemo. always drama at our table.

not very adventurous, but a rainbow roll is pretty darn close to heaven for me.

lol ... and I bet she hollers every time he puts an egg into his mouth

for the past few days I've been after the seared albacore with a dab of ponzu sauce. I just can't resist it :smile:

Brown rice is definitely healthier, but white rice does taste better IMO. My mom makes rice with half brown and half white. Actually it might like 3/4 brown now, I'm not sure. But there really is a benefit by eating brown rice. Try eating some sushi without the soy sauce..they still taste good! :tup: If you still want to eat with the soy sauce, just try to eat the low sodium ones. Sushi is delicious! ;)