Food Falling back in love with sushi...but is it healthy?

i love sushi. my boyfriend is a sushi chef...

it'll be really rare to find a sushi place that has brown rice.... maybe only at a specialty food store.

sashimi would be the best option.. cause theres no rice and its all fish.

low sodium soy sauce isnt great for you, but better than regular soy sauce any day

try the rolls with the soy wraps (yummy) instead of seaweed, cause the seaweed is a little salted.

as penance said.. try the cucumber wrapped rolls.

ohh yeah stay away from the sauces (usually mayonnaised based)!

you can always have things substituted in the rolls or have the chefs make you something special with specific requirements or restrictions.

If you are on a specfic diet/ health concerns please be aware that many of the sauces contain:

eggs, ketchup, soy sauce, wasabi, fish, oyster sauce, mayo, eel sauce, lemon

so ask your chef/wait staff if it includes the above.

I love sushi! I lived in Hawaii for 3 years and thus began my love affair. I love all kinds! Sashimi, nigri, and even the infamous deepfried western junk food sushi. I eat it at least 3x a week. I sometimes (but rarely) make my own but I'm not that good at it. LOL it ends up being like a taco. I live right down the block from an all you can eat sushi bar for 30$!!! so i go there a lot! I hope i don't die from mercury poisining. LOL

Best sushi in Seattle: I Love Sushi...............3 locations all great. Also Shiro in Belltown. Never order any of the rolls that have mayo or fried stuff and use the low sodium soy sauce. Whole Foods tuna was shown to have too high amounts of mercury (king5news.com) so get the salmon. I highly recommend the Sashimi salad at I Love Sushi.....just don't eat the fried shell thing they have for decoration!

I recently read an article where they found several sushi restaurants were serving fishes with high mercury content. I guess if you're not pregnant or allergic, once a week would be ok !!

I found a site that has some general nutrition info for sushi, but of course it will vary from place to place.

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

Overall sushi is a healthy food. It's not processed and it's made with fresh nutritious ingredients. Like someone else said, it's still 1000x better for you than fast food! I usually get 2 rolls and I never feel guilty about eating them!