COLOUR or Leather TEXTURE - which seals the DEAL for you?

Which seals the DEAL for you?

• COLOUR

• Leather TEXTURE

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted for colour as well, BUT the leather texture also plays a big part. Alot of my bags I have to buy sight unseen, so I hope for the best in terms of leather, but the ones that I am able to see photos ... if the leather looks amazing, I'm alot more inclined to buy!

It's a combination for me BUT I guess the deciding factor is the color. For me it's like if I were to sell off a bag with great leather now I'm more confident that I can get another bag with even better leather in the future. However if I were to sell off a bag that is of a color I LOVE, I'm not as confident that I can get back the exact same shade, KWIM?

Leather for me. Except for one color.....vg. I find that vg's are difficult to find with leather I like (wrinkly without marbling). But I'm willing to try a smoother leather for this color. I love it.

Good question. I've sold bbags because I didn't like the leather. I once got an 03 red city with pewter hardware that I would LOVE to have kept, but the leather felt kinda waxy, like it had been treated or something and I had to sell it - even though the colour was gorgeous.

I can't keep a bbag if I don't like the leather. I'd rather swap it out (hence me recently parting with my black PT). I'd rather wait for another one. These bags cost way too much $$$ to compromise.

Also, in reverse, I have sold a bbag if the colour just doesn't seem to work on me. I did this again for an 05 bbag. INCREDIBLE leather but the colour washed me out and 'clashed' so I sold it off. I can't keep it just to pet it every few days and put it back in the closet.

The bags I always keep are the ones that are good in both catergories. If a bag feels really wax like, I'll never keep it.

When I buy a bbag, I think the color is the first thing I consider. Then within the same color, I'll choose the one with the best leather. So I do agree with many here that it's a combo thing, not only one factor or the other.

However, in terms of selling, I guess perhaps things will be a bit different as I assume that all the color you have should be something that you like at one time or the other. So perhaps at this moment leather stands out more.

Sorry to hear Miss Sienna is not fitting in well with your wardrobe! I also agree with the rest that its part colour and part leather. For me I would say 60% colour and 40% leather. I usually know which colours are the ones I go for, and so far it seems that all the bags I've received I like (in terms of colour), and even if it's not love at first sight I usually grow to like them pretty quickly, guess I'm quite easygoing that way. However if the leather is bad, out it goes. Like my Pale Magenta city.... nothing I've used keeps it moisturised for long. Right now it's worse than elephant hide, I have no idea how I'm going to get rid of it but I just can't bring myself to use it anymore!

wow am i the only one voted for color?
i just felt as long as i love the color and it works well with my wardrobe, i'd get it even though it's not all thick and smooth (which i do prefer)

No, you're not the only one, I voted for color too. First I have to like the color, then the search begins for that color with great leather. I want the total package and I have no problem sending them back until I get one with beautiful leather.

The ones that I really didn't care for were some f/w 2006. It's like they had so many complaints of thin, papery, veiny s/s 2006 that to me, some of the f/w 2006 were too thick, too heavy and too smooth. I ended up selling several of them on Ebay. I'm sure when they are broken in they will be gorgeous, but I didn't want to wait 2 years to get the distressed look that I like.

Leather is more important to me. Even if I like the color, if the leather isn't nice I just don't enjoy using the bag as much. Which is why I stick to older bbags mostly, as I much prefer the older leather (and this works out fine as I am more attracted to the older bbag colors anyway).

Hmmmm ... at first I thought "hands-down the LEATHER texture ...", but as I thought about it more it's really the color first and then the leather texture. For instance:
  • I'm not really into the Blue or Green colors, I much prefer the BRIGHT colors (Red, Yellow, Pink/Magenta, etc.), so that would be my first choice
  • HOWEVER ... once I find the color, then I am super-duper picky about the Leather. For instance, I really want the '08 Fluorescent Yellow, but I looked at 3 City Bags last weekend and nixed all three because the leather texture was not up to my standard. Does that mean I won't get one ... possibly, but I really won't get one if I don't like the leather (it was just too dry and the dye seemed uneven).
So ... I guess it's kind of a 50/50 split for me!

i think it's a given that for those of us who buy our bags unseen the leather factor has to be compromised. who does not want the best of both worlds? when you're not near any of the stores that sell at retail and not 30%* above retail, what's a girl to do, eh?

*estimates for a rh city in singapore's bal store vs buying from aloharag

Color is the first factor I consider when buying a bbag, but leather texture seals the deal for me. When I purchased my 08 turq p.t., I had two bags to choose from. The bag I eventually picked was slightly less saturated in color than the other one, but had better leather. The more saturated bag had mismatched leather on the front side. One half had smooth leather while the other half had veinier leather. I prefer leather that is more consistent and even, so I picked the less saturated color in the end. The color difference was fairly minimal, so I was still happy with my purchase in the end.

Ok, so first and foremost when I'm looking to BUY a bag, or looking to GET RID OF a bag, I look at color first. If I can't make the color work with my lifestyle or my wardrobe, I won't get it. If I like the color and want it, but don't like the leather, I won't get it; I'll wait to find a bag in the color I want with the leather type I want. Sorry not really sure if that helped!