Screw the new bags- oldies anyone?!?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I feel sorry for those who won't even consider an 07 over an 04/05 used bag...

KDC, they are so delish!!! :drool::drool:
You make me want one!!

All,

Thanks for your responses! I read through them all. I don't check the forum that frequently-- I have a 6 month old baby at home, and she keeps me super busy!

I've concluded that it is a matter of taste/style. I love vintage looks but tend to buy new clothing that looks vintage. I love rick owens, demeulemeester, mike & chris, mayle, etc. The sheen of the new bags doesn't fit with my wardrobe in the way I would like. There is something about the GH that screams trophy wife or something (I can't put my finger on what exactly turns me off). I'm guessing it's the glaze and the veiny-ness. I actually prefer thinner leather to the thicker. I loved that my bbags would puddle when put on a flat surface. Once they stopped doing this, I pretty much stopped buying new bags. I did however, buy the LE magenta and a GGH truffle. I rarely use either. I also have vert gazon and french blue.

Also, I am definitely a color person vs. a leather person. Apple green and eggplant are perfection IMO. Also, I would be willing to pay big for a decent condition seafoam. I understand this is all a matter of preference.

It does HURT to pay over retail for these bags. It just feels wrong, but I can't help myself. I'm now wondering if I should scoop up some of the newer bags in case they end up being collector's items.

My goal here is to build some sort of balenciaga collection. Whatever that means. I've already posted my collection, but I will post again. Eggplant is missing, maybe I can post her separately at some point. So is sky blue. Again, another time.

Attachments

• bbags.jpg
    bbags.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 137
its def a matter of taste.

My heart will always be for the older leathers w rh because its what I originally fell for and still do. They still turn my head more than a GH bbag could.

I think that Balenciagas choice to introduce GH was a huge risk for its core/loyal customers because the GH almost goes against everything loved about the brand: descreet hardware, non flashy/blingy and a real rock chick vibe in a casual way to showcase the signature soft leather.

GH is like the grown up Park Avenue version of their moto bags and personally there's only a small handful that I like with it.

I've owned bags from every season since 04. Yeah, the 04/05 leathers were different from 06 onwards because less glazing was used back then. The benefits of a few layers of extra glazing is remarkable for the longetivity of leather. You will see how gorgeous the well worn in glazed leathers look when the most sought after season in years to come will be 2007. I agree the anti-climax of the 06 leathers compared to the 05 was pretty sad, but 2007 certainly made up for that. If you want to stick with the old leathers, then good for you. Personally, I am tired of paying well over retail for supposedly "mint" 04/05 Bbags and when you see it IRL, the tassels are crap, the leather loops that hold the all important handles or shoulder strap are fraying at the edges, almost all of them have cracking sealant paint and most have an odour of some sort. From a very seasoned Bbag lover, I can assure you the 2007 leathers have impressed me so much and will be sought after in the future. 2008 is looking to be a fantastic year of colour. I think Bal does a great job of coming up with new colours. I am sorry for you that you haven't been excited since 04 Marigold (it seems). It's such a hard job to keep everyone consistently happy and Bal keeps me happy most of the time. Even if I don't like a certain season, I still enjoy looking at everyone's latest buys. Good luck to you. Perhaps you could excite us with pics of your vintage collection? We all thoroughly enjoy looking at the older Bbags!

You said a lot, and I "ditto" it all!!:idea:

for me i think its bag to bag. i have seen amazing bags from all years... and some newer ones that just have no personality. so i look for bags with character, and dont fuss so much over the year it was made. however the older bags seem to possess the most character. Is it because they are so broken in? also i have two black works. a silky 05, and a thick fw 06 which is more like the 07s.. and i thought about selling the 06, but think i want to keep it because its more durable than my 05...

It's totally bag to bag. But the only difference is the older ones were more consistent leather wise .. although I suppose the newer ones have more variety of leather for different tastes. KDC your 07 bags are gorgeous. I was looking forward to 08 magenta but have been been disappointed by the general dryness... other colors are really nice though like petal and thyme.

But I would take a good leather new bag any day over an abused oldie. And more or less at this point many of them are. toni, that's a good point about durability.

In terms of color, all of my favorites are from '05 and '07. I just recently aquired an '05 Olive City (thanks again, Bridget and Kristina!) and I think it's much more beautiful than Vert Fonce, although I only have the VF makeup so it's hard to compare the leather. My first bag was an '05 Chocolate Twiggy and it has to be one of the most beautiful browns ever- amazing color and scrumptious leather. It has also held up beautifully considering the way I abuse my bags. :s
I also have an '04 Khaki that is equally stunning.
None of the '08 colors appeal to me and I will never understand the appeal of the GH- just not my taste at all.
I think '04 was one of the best years for color, just not colors I think I could get a lot of wear out of.
All my bags are black, dark brown, or olive- I wear a lot of color in my clothing and don't like my bags to compete. ;)

BUMP! ;)

I'm still interested in reading comments about 04 versus recent leather and colors...
I don't want to pay way too much over retail for an abused bag. I also like my recent bags... but why am I so fascinated by the "oldies"?
I even wanted to sell my newly aquired EB first to buy a 03 mastic! Then I decided to stop.
So, what do you think? Also if 07 leather and colors were so beautiful and some 08 colors are so interesting, aren't you still going to prefer a 03-04 bag? And why?

I haven't seen bbags from '03-'05 IRL but i think the colors they made back then are STUNNING!! i also loved, loved the silver RH hardware!! i adore your collection sunspark, it is my total dream bal collection!!
i think balenciaga came out with some very interesting colors over the past few years, for example the '06 ink. it seems to me like no color before that collection had so much variety and would change from bluish, to purlple'ish hues. they seem to have experimented more within the past few seasons, which i think is really great! the first few season of color production seemed more "safe" KWIM?
my most coveted HG's are still from the early bal times though. the '05 RT and the '04 S/S Gris Fonce. nothing up until now has topped these to colors IMO
it seems like bal tries to recreate some colors, to a different extent of success. for example i think they did a great job with the '07 vert d'eau "replacing" the '04 seafoam!! from what i've heard, the vert's all have great leather as well!! but no caramel/camel color has come out that's as gorgeous as the '03 caramel or '04 (?) caramel!!
i really, really don't understand why they won't bring back the frikkin' silver RH though! that bugs me the most!!

i was also wondering if that rumor about the '01-'05' bags being limited edition is true?? i know that the '01 & 02's le dix firsts were limited but what about the later bags from '03 onward?? if it's true, maybe that adds to the elusiveness of owning of one these?? :shrugs:

I will always love the old leather. I've never been a fan of the newer leather ever since they changed it to that thin, veiny, shiny leather. The only newer (07) bag I've found that has leather that I like (because it looks and feels like the old leather) is my Vert D'eau Day.

I rememer when Balenciaga bags never hit the shelves at Holt's...I bought my Pistachio First because I had my name on a waiting list and they pulled it out of the drawer when I arrived at the store, it was so exciting! Now the shelves are filled with bbags that have leather that, in my opinion, doesn't compare to the way it used to be.

Ii really, really don't understand why they won't bring back the frikkin' silver RH though! that bugs me the most!!
:shrugs:

I would be willing to bet if every bbag girl on this forum took 2 minutes once a week to email Balenciaga and to repeatedly ask their SA's or manger of BNY for a repeat of the rh in pewter it would appear. I email Balenciaga once a week but I think it will take many people to make them listen.

mailto:[email protected]

I would be willing to bet if every bbag girl on this forum took 2 minutes once a week to email Balenciaga and to repeatedly ask their SA's or manger of BNY for a repeat of the rh in pewter it would appear. I email Balenciaga once a week but I think it will take many people to make them listen.

mailto:[email protected]

I am TOTALLY doing this!! thanks for the mail address! off to send my first one now! :P