Screw the new bags- oldies anyone?!?

I have a 05 Black City, and an 07 Vert D'eau. My 05 Black is AMAZING! But I think that part of that is because its super broken in because I got her pre-loved. But then again, I loooove my verty because she is still a puddle of leather. She is super silky, soft, and smooth and thick and amazing! I think that I definitely am a color person over a leather person, and I love colors from every season! I would love to have some of the old colors back, like 04 rose, 04 pistachio, and 05 apple green. But then again, I love the newer colors too like electric blue, ink, plomb, jaune, and violet!

I would be willing to bet if every bbag girl on this forum took 2 minutes once a week to email Balenciaga and to repeatedly ask their SA's or manger of BNY for a repeat of the rh in pewter it would appear. I email Balenciaga once a week but I think it will take many people to make them listen.

mailto:[email protected]

:woohoo: Great idea powder!
TPF bombing!:wlae: I'm going to do it, too. I hope someone is going to read my e-mail!

i was also wondering if that rumor about the '01-'05' bags being limited edition is true?? i know that the '01 & 02's le dix firsts were limited but what about the later bags from '03 onward?? if it's true, maybe that adds to the elusiveness of owning of one these?? :shrugs:

I don't know.
But I think that at first there was not this mass production.
Now you can find Balenciaga moto line everywhere in the world and it's not so difficult to find a particular color of the season..
If now I wanted to buy a coral red, I would find it immediately, no waiting lists... So maybe the quantity of produced bags has increased and this makes the newer bags less coveted?
:shrugs: Maybe.
The LE mantain their value more.

Keep 'em coming, girls: I'm interested.
Between my bags I have to say that the best leather is the one of my marron 04 and my ink (06? don't remember). I can't judge 08 leather, since I still haven't used my EB... but the nature of the 04 leather looks totally different from the other ones. More durable definitely, smoother, silky. What has changed? :thinking:

I guess it's not so much more about the '04/05 vs. later leathers for me, but just that I Like broken in city bags more than brand new ones. To me, the leather from '08 and some of the other bags are pretty comparable to the '05 that I had.

I like a llot of the new colors and I can take or leave leather I jsut dont' want it veiny and my newere bags are not veiny at all. My newBPCP is divine not a cein in her. I like older colors too but I find them tougher to wear. I really use my bags so they have to work with my clothes and the newer colors work better with my wardrobe.

personally i have found bbags differ greatly ~ not so much from year to year but more like bag to bag! ~ also ~ what some think is a bad or poor leather others may love & vice versa ~ i don't get how some are willing to pay full wack or sometimes more for a bag that has been used to death just b/c it's an '05 ~ but that's omho ~ i am so impressed with the leathers on my newbies ~ my le madge is the best i've ever had ~ thick & smooth ~ my advice would always be to shop around & not to buy without seeing irl ~ :flowers:
I totally agree! The leather on these bags differ more not on the year but the bag itself! I had looked at alot of Truffle city bags till I found the color and leather I wanted, as they all were different, some did not even resemble a Truffle! I have a 08 black part time, and I love the leather on this bag, and have a vert Fonce with the most incredible leather I have ever seen! I agree, you need to shop around!

I have always loved the 04/05 leathers and some previous ones too...I am yet to see an -07 IRL but I am leaning towards buying maybe a vert d´eau (stunning colour) as I really think that the prices on older bags are a tad too much, and I do need to slow down unless I want to end up living in my bbags,LOL. I agree with Deco....some very gorgeous colours from -07!

I do love older colours but newer ones have potential too I think. I have 2 '07 which are very beautiful (aquamarine and violet) but I still prefer the softness of the older bags, probably because I dont use my bags much and the leather does not really break in yet

I am definitely a leather person. And an "older leather" fanatic.

No matter how beautiful the current leather is, or how lucky you can get, it just isn't like the 03 and 04 and s/s 05 leather.
I have had very broken bags from every season from 2003 until this current season, and they just can't compare. Two of my new-type leather bags had leather that cracked.
The glaze used on bbags now makes the bags very smooth. Even if the newer bags are very broken in and the glaze has worn off a bit, the leather is still mostly smooth and doesn't have the million tiny wrinkles that are characteristic of the older bags. Fall 2007 was the best leather season we've had since spring 2005, imo. As soon as those bags get really beaten up and broken in, that's when we'll be able to compare the old leather to the best of the new.
The older leather looks a lot more vintage and wrikly, maybe the glazed, smooth current leather is like that to have a more polished and stiff look to go with the blingy giant hardware. It doesn't even feel like Balenciaga to me, it's closer to MJ... But then, I'm not really a giant hardware fan :smile:

I know there's huge variation in every season nowadays,which the SAs use as an excuse mostly, but in 03-05 there was no variation in the greatness of the leather, it depended mostly on the level of broken in-ness.

Anyway, don't mean to offend anyone or sound snobbish when I say that they don't make them like they used to. It's just so different. You need to see an old bag irl to embrace its leather superiority. Just my opinion.

I totally agree! The leather on these bags differ more not on the year but the bag itself! I had looked at alot of Truffle city bags till I found the color and leather I wanted, as they all were different, some did not even resemble a Truffle! I have a 08 black part time, and I love the leather on this bag, and have a vert Fonce with the most incredible leather I have ever seen! I agree, you need to shop around!

I feel the same as you and viki, the leather differs from one bag to another, even for the same color same year. i've chosen my 07 black twiggy out of 6 twiggies same color same year and all the bags were different, the leather ranged from distressed to soft and plain without any wringkles. i chose mine because i like the vintage leather look of it. it was the only one that i loved among the 6 bags.
my vert foncé 07 weekender is the yummiest leather of all my collection and the most delicious texture i've ever touched and i go to the balenciaga store very often!!! ha ha ha
colorwise, i feel that the old colors were more tempting, more interesting, IMO. 05 Teal is still my favorite blue compared to the 08 sky blue, EB, 08 turquoise, FB, blue glacier.
but 2006 blue india is very close to teal.
and the leather of my 05 teal isnt as thick and soft as my vert foncé.
so i think it really depends on the bag, on the color and on your luck.
:smile:

No matter how beautiful the current leather is, or how lucky you can get, it just isn't like the 03 and 04 and s/s 05 leather.
I have had very broken bags from every season from 2003 until this current season, and they just can't compare. Two of my new-type leather bags had leather that cracked.
The glaze used on bbags now makes the bags very smooth. Even if the newer bags are very broken in and the glaze has worn off a bit, the leather is still mostly smooth and doesn't have the million tiny wrinkles that are characteristic of the older bags. Fall 2007 was the best leather season we've had since spring 2005, imo. As soon as those bags get really beaten up and broken in, that's when we'll be able to compare the old leather to the best of the new.
The older leather looks a lot more vintage and wrikly, maybe the glazed, smooth current leather is like that to have a more polished and stiff look to go with the blingy giant hardware. It doesn't even feel like Balenciaga to me, it's closer to MJ... But then, I'm not really a giant hardware fan :smile:

I know there's huge variation in every season nowadays,which the SAs use as an excuse mostly, but in 03-05 there was no variation in the greatness of the leather, it depended mostly on the level of broken in-ness.

Anyway, don't mean to offend anyone or sound snobbish when I say that they don't make them like they used to. It's just so different. You need to see an old bag irl to embrace its leather superiority. Just my opinion.

I agree 100%.

Here we are with the oldies fans.
So, maybe I'm a leather person, too.
I just have a 04 bag and I agree it's totally different from the other ones.
Yes, probably it's the glaze, but maybe also the nature of the leather itself.:confused1:
I only know that I keep drooling over older bags when I see them (and I would buy them all!) while with the new ones I'm a bit more rational and I would only buy if I need them...

I agree 100%.

I feel the same as you and viki, the leather differs from one bag to another, even for the same color same year. i've chosen my 07 black twiggy out of 6 twiggies same color same year and all the bags were different, the leather ranged from distressed to soft and plain without any wringkles. i chose mine because i like the vintage leather look of it. it was the only one that i loved among the 6 bags.
my vert foncé 07 weekender is the yummiest leather of all my collection and the most delicious texture i've ever touched and i go to the balenciaga store very often!!! ha ha ha
colorwise, i feel that the old colors were more tempting, more interesting, IMO. 05 Teal is still my favorite blue compared to the 08 sky blue, EB, 08 turquoise, FB, blue glacier.
but 2006 blue india is very close to teal.
and the leather of my 05 teal isnt as thick and soft as my vert foncé.
so i think it really depends on the bag, on the color and on your luck.
:smile:

You couldn't have said it any better if you tried!! Totally agree!!

Danae, I sure do hope you are right! Today's the first day I used my Jaune, and she is quite dry..Hopefully after moisturizing and breaking her in, it will get better!

:tup: ITA