Style Bags of celebrities 40 plus -- please post info and photos here

One should assume *anything* a celeb is wearing has been comped! Except, of course, in this case: Monica Botkier (L) with one of her own bags:

mbotk.jpg

All the ladies of whom I've posted pics are 40 or over (though Tamara Mellon just turned 40 a few months ago!). To paraphrase Gloria Steinem, that's what over 40 looks like! :smile:

Edited to reply to: Sassenach's post

I wonder how many of these bags were comped, and carried for one occasion only?

Thanks to the starter of this thread. It's so nice to see different celebs and their handbags. I am a bit tired of seeing Britney, Linsday, Hayden and Vanessa's bags over and over.

Let me start off by saying I love celebrity culture - it's so fun, and I love seeing what celebs are wearing/carrying. But, most are comped. I do P.R., and one of our clients is a a design house, and it's shocking how many celebs are given whatever they want. They have their assistants call, and swoosh, five handbags or pairs of shoes are sent over to them. Somtimes there is an understanding that the company/designer will be informed when they wear it in public, so photos can be taken, etc. Most design houses 'gift' many of these women, and celebs often receive "swag" at events by magazines, award shows, etc. including handbags. Trust me, Lindsay Lohan has pretty much never bought any handbag that she carries. Some of these celebs are known by these houses as being kind of greedy and obnoxious in their demands. Most clothing, jewelry and accessories at award shows is either comped or borrowed. Very rarely do these people pay for their own clothing for these things. Celebrities expect to be given clothing and accessories. I've seen some obnoxious things over the years. I'm not sure if you read in the OK! magazine article about Britney's ill-fated shoot, but she and her staff stole clothes, and OK! staffers literally ripped clothes out of the hands of her posse as they tried to walk off with expensive borrowed designer clothes. This attitude is sad, but common.

The same goes for celebs and beauty products. They are often gifted what they want. Most of the time when you see in a mag that such and such a product is used by <insert celeb name> it simply means the company sent products to the stars stylist or manager, which in turn means the company can say the star uses the product. There are all kinds of businesses that exist that do "celebrity seeding", meaning getting products into celeb hands so the companies can claim stars use them. It's rare but does happen when a celeb honestly uses a given product and promote it in the media, such as Drew Barrymore for Sonya Dakar, or Gwenyth Paltrow for Tracie Martyn. One company we work with got products to a celeb -- her stylist sent them to the celeb, the celeb's assistant sent a thank you, and BAM, the company could say the star used those products, and it was all over the fashion mags. Who knows if the star actually saw those product or if her housekeeper and assistant ended up using them. Stars sell products. It's a reality, so companies have to play this less than honest game, and publicists and magazines carry it out. We once worked with a known actress for a NYC charity event, and she said, "If I used every product they (the mags) said I did, I'd do nothing but stay home all and apply products to my skin."

Ummmm, yes, we know that celebs get this stuff for free and may not even use products they "endorse." But I still :heart: this thread. Very tired of all the pics of 20-something celebs I've never heard of with fab bags.

Here's a couple of Madonna with a YSL Muse and Downtown (borrowed from the "Celebs & YSL" thread in the YSL subforum) ...

attachment.php

attachment.php