do you dress according to ur age

i_love_yorkie

and BAGS
O.G.
Apr 8, 2007
i think most people think asian women/girls look younger than their ages.
im asian, 21 years old and i love cute clothes. i like legwarmers, denim skirt....which makes me look like a 12 years old girl. yes, people asked me if im 12,lol.
my mom and friends always tell me to change..i should dress like my age.
what do you think?

haha. i think the question is, what do you think? i think they way we dress has to fit the way we are in the inside. who we are. age is a side issue. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i personally do not want to look 12. i am also in the habit of being taken for 10 years younger than my age. but i do not want to look like someone who is too old who is trying to look too young. i think if the way we dress is different from the norm, but true to ourselves, then we will look good no matter what. so, what makes you happy?

yeah, i know. i mean i dont dress like a 12 years old girl do. i dress like those AF/hollister. but i dont know why they say i look like 12. i mean.... + my face,lol. i def. not trying to look younger than i am.

I'm not sure what dressing for my age would exactly be (32), but I definitely stay away from a lot of the trendy "right now" stuff. I really try to stick with classic stuff. I would hate to embarras my kids someday showing up to school looking like I want to be a teenager.

Free society... dress as u you like as long as it is appropriate for the environment. E.g. you should not dress "club going" in a law office or a formal "evening gown" to a bowling alley... just out of place.

Everyone thinks I'm younger than I am, but I am at that ambiguous age where I can basically still wear whatever I want because I am young enough to pull it off, but old enough to have cultivated some sort of style.

it is so funny that you ask this... i am going through this style dilemma as well. i am asian as well and 25. i wear a lot of abercrombie cause i used to work there and people think i'm 18 (ex: getting carded at a rated R movie!). now that i've gotten my masters and have a career in front of me i decided that i should dress a little more refined. i'm having a hard time changing styles when all i've known is the comfort of uggs and abercrombie for the past few years. when i see other girls wearing uggs and abercrombie i don't feel like they look that young. i don't know why i come off being young by wearing those things..

Free society... dress as u you like as long as it is appropriate for the environment. E.g. you should not dress "club going" in a law office or a formal "evening gown" to a bowling alley... just out of place.

yeah, ITA w that. however, my problem is about dress and age,lol. recently, i read some post about Kate (tom's wife). people saying why is she trying to look older than her age by dressing...blah blah...
i see like....Forever 21/ wetseal style are older than AF/Hollister, IDK how to explain.

what is the max age for short denim skirt?

it is so funny that you ask this... i am going through this style dilemma as well. i am asian as well and 25. i wear a lot of abercrombie cause i used to work there and people think i'm 18 (ex: getting carded at a rated R movie!). now that i've gotten my masters and have a career in front of me i decided that i should dress a little more refined. i'm having a hard time changing styles when all i've known is the comfort of uggs and abercrombie for the past few years. when i see other girls wearing uggs and abercrombie i don't feel like they look that young. i don't know why i come off being young by wearing those things..

hehehe, my bf is 1 1/2 years younger than me, but when we are together, many people ask if he knows it is illegal to date me (they thought i was 13)

yeah, ITA w that. however, my problem is about dress and age. recently, i read some post about Kate (tom's wife). people saying why is she trying to look older than her age by dressing...blah blah...
i see like....Forever 21/ wetseal style are older than AF/Hollister, IDK how to explain.

what is the max age for short denim skirt?

I think as far as a short denim skirt goes, it more depends on how your legs look versus how old you are. That is a whole other discussion. A lot of people wear things that look to young on them because they don't have the body for it.

:confused1: This is a difficult question for me too. I'm 27 (ick!) and Asian and most people think I'm still in high school. (I think it's my razor bob haircut and being 5'2"). I get carded for trying to buy the lottery a few times. It's weird...

Anyway, now that I'm working full-time, I do want to project a professional image. Even though my work environment is pretty casual with no dress codes, I try to stick to muted, monochromatic pieces that are well cut but not revealing too much skin. I wear a lot of jeans, but not the frayed and faded styles. I also upgraded my shoes collection to include more pumps (helps to dress up jeans) and replaced tennis shoes with ballet flats. And of course, no graphic print tees for work. I save that for grocery shopping outings to be paired with a comfy hoodie. :P

And to answer the question about short denim skirts... I think people can wear them up to their 30s. It is dependent on the body type and how it fits with the whole outfit. IMO it would be weird to see a woman with heavy lined face wearing a denim mini. To me, that's a little trashy looking...

I'm 26 and I've been buying lots of classic dresses and pumps lately so I guess I'm dressing more maturely. But I'll never give up my Hello Kitty pj's :shame:

I guess I just wear whatever I like as long as it's appropriate for the occasion :shrugs:

I don't believe in hard and fast rules for dressing one's age. There are times when a young woman will want to appear sophisticated and perhaps older, and there are times when an older woman just happens to really look fabulous in an outfit one would normally see on a younger woman. As long as a person doesn't look like they are trying too hard or playing dress-up almost anything goes. We all just have to know our own bodies and styles and what works for us.

I dress differently depending on where I am going. I love wearing short dresses and tights going out with dh, but I generally wear a slightly longer dress and flatter shoes when going to pick the kids up at school. There are moms there who look very out of place wearing outfits that are far too sexy. I think that is a mistake, no matter if they are 22 or 42. Just like no one would wear gym shorts to work on Wall Street, short-shorts, barely there tops and stilettos just don't look appropriate for picking the kids up at school!