What do you think the new "IT" bags will be in 08?

Dec 19, 2007
What does everyone think the new "it" bags and designers will be in 2008? I think the Cartier bags especially the Marcella have been picking up steam. Also I think mulberry is a brand to watch out for, I've noticed the resell prices of them on ebay have been inching up pretty quickly, I think their Bayswater Bags are really great. Also has anyone seen the new Green Crocodile Gucci Pelham? It cost $22K! But the color is out of this world. I think a lot of the newer less gawdy Gucci bags are really nice, they seem to be putting out a lot more leather styles and less of the monogramed canvas. Also I like the YSL uptown bag, I think its really sleek and classy looking it has a timeless look to it.

I have no idea what the next 'It' bags will be, but have found that usually these bags are not for me anyway. Too often they are handbags, while I exclusively carry shoulder bags, and even if the 'It' bag turns out to be a shoulder bag it'll be one with a very short strap. But appearance is another thing that usually doesn't appeal to me in 'It' bags - I rarely find them attractive. I agree with Balihai88 that a big determining factor is which celebrity the designer's pay to conspicuously wear and be photgraphed with their bags.

very true, there seems to be a lot of celebs toting Balenciaga again, there for a while it seemed not a lot of celebs were carrying but now its back in vogue amongst hollywood so I bet there will be a price increase to match

I dunno.. call me crazy, but I tend to agree with some of those articles saying that the whole "it" bag craze is dying down.

Buy what you like! Make it your own "it" bag. ;)

I have no idea what the next 'It' bags will be, but have found that usually these bags are not for me anyway. Too often they are handbags, while I exclusively carry shoulder bags, and even if the 'It' bag turns out to be a shoulder bag it'll be one with a very short strap. But appearance is another thing that usually doesn't appeal to me in 'It' bags - I rarely find them attractive. I agree with Balihai88 that a big determining factor is which celebrity the designer's pay to conspicuously wear and be photgraphed with their bags.

God, you sound exactly like me! :nuts: :yes:

The only difference is that I carry clutches, as well as long-strapped shoulderbags. :yes:

Great article! I think the "it" bag phenomenon is on its way out....I also think the proliferation of counterfeits is part of the reason. I just don't want to carry a bag that everyone else has.

Not really into "it" bags as they date easily. Meaning, they're GREAT for one season and the next season its "so last season." :lol:

On the flip side of that, if there was an "it" bag that I fell in love with then I would get it and carry it regardless of its "last season-ness." There just haven't been any that I've truely loved enough to buy. I'm a classics girl.

I've never been one to go for the 'it' bag, although it's always fun to see what earns the title from different magazines.

I love bags that aren't commonly seen, often undervalued or under-media-exposed designers whose price tags don't require a mortgage payment or forking over a kidney to pay for said bag.

For example, I love my Coach leather bags but am enamored with my new Belen Echandia Love Me in dark grey--I get so many compliments, though people don't know the designer. It's like my own well kept secret!

I love quality handbags and am willing to pay a good price for them, but am incredibly insulted by handbag designers who keep raising prices on loyal customers just to see how high they can go--there's no extra value for our hard earned money in that equation.

Ooh--sorry for my mini-rant... :okay:

I would guess that the next handbag will gain acclaim by being photographed by a well known celebrity, who was likely given the bag for free!:P Isn't it funny that the people who have the most money often don't pay for the bags so that the rest of us regular working folk WILL pay for them? :nuts:

I do admit to enjoying reading magazines to see what is up and coming; few things are as much fun as finding your own 'it' bag, whatever it may be!

It does effect me in a way. I passed a lovely prada in the sales last week, not because I didn't like it but because of it's 'so last season' feel. I usually just buy whatever I like, 'it' or not. I've been carrying my spy for over a year non stop and I still use my f/w 2005 Prada logo flap bag and my novak's. It's too expensive to keep up with the latest thing-the designers are pushing the prices up just because they know we're all buying no matter what the cost. When I first got into this game with the Paddington I thought 1000 euros was a whopping amount of money for a bag, and I bought my first prada in the sale for 425 euros, also quite a substantial amount. But now I'm easily spending 1500 on a bag and it doesn't bother me. My parents, who were quite shocked at first, are getting used to it too-when I bought the spy for 1400 they were like 'oh, now that's nice, and quite reasonably priced as well'. It's insane!
I'm trying to get into non-it models (like the Mulberry Bayswater, which I'll get somewhere in march when my finances are a bit better - I'm a student!) or less exposed brands like Bottega, Ferragamo or Marni. It's a stupid game those designers are playing!