Is it possible for a diamond to look whiter in the right kind of setting?

missD

O.G.
May 29, 2006
I recently got my hands on my bf's inhertited diamond from his grandma. It was purchased in the 20s and sadly it has a slight yellow tinge to it.

Its very sparkly and I do love the history behind it so i was wondering what types of setting will help and what types should be avoided?

here's some pics:

PC160748.jpg

PC160750.jpg

PC160726.jpg

any advice would be great! :okay:

Wow... it's a stunning diamond, even if it does have a tinge of warmth on it...you can't even tell~! I don't know too much about settings.. but it's beautiful~! What a nice heirloom~!

Wow!!! What a fantastic heirloom!!! You can see a trace of color,but only in the pic that seems darker than the others,I'm thinking that irl that it may come out as a J/K color,which actually for a stone that size is really not too bad!!!

Mine is an I color,we had it set in a four claw platinum setting,very plain and as I don't wear it next to any other diamonds it does look quite white!

Wow!!! What a fantastic heirloom!!! You can see a trace of color,but only in the pic that seems darker than the others,I'm thinking that irl that it may come out as a J/K color,which actually for a stone that size is really not too bad!!!

Mine is an I color,we had it set in a four claw platinum setting,very plain and as I don't wear it next to any other diamonds it does look quite white!

Yes Chaz, the eye perceives color as a relative thing.

So either set a colored diamond next to same/ similar or no other diamonds to down play the color. Dont set it next to much whiter stones! Also I like white gold regardless of the stone and I dont necesarily think that yellow gold helps the diamond look whiter as many do believe.

Yes Chaz, the eye perceives color as a relative thing.

So either set a colored diamond next to same/ similar or no other diamonds to down play the color. Dont set it next to much whiter stones! Also I like white gold regardless of the stone and I dont necesarily think that yellow gold helps the diamond look whiter as many do believe.

I agree with that,yellow settings in my experience do enhance any tintedness in a stone, especially if they are set in claws,the inside of the claws reflects straight back into the stone. The stone in these pics looks to have a very large table and is a touch shallow,so it would let reflections in the back for sure. But if its set in white,with the inside of the setting highly polished any residual reflections will be white and glossy and help to lift the stone enormously!!! It is a firey stone,and it will look fantastic in a sympathetic setting!!:tup:

I don't even see much color either- it faces up pretty white in your photos. I think it is lovely. What about putting it in a halo setting- you could even do colored stones, like sapphires or colored diamonds in the halo and maybe make the white of the stone come out more, b/c of the proximity of the two colors- for your concern re: tinge of yellow?

IMO it faces really white as well. Color is difficult as we can't tell if it's simply reflecting something in your background. All but one photo looked nearly colorless to me:yes:
That said, I'd set it in a 6 prong tiffany style setting or soemthing similar. most of the color will only be detected from the side view, which almost no one will ever see. 6 prongs or another setting could help block a little of that exposure.

It looks like a beutiful stone!

Oh, before you set it, I'd take it to an independent appraiser just to get specs on it, good for insurance and pice of mind:yes:
Also, you'll find out exact color and weight of this as well.

IMO it faces really white as well. Color is difficult as we can't tell if it's simply reflecting something in your background. All but one photo looked nearly colorless to me:yes:
That said, I'd set it in a 6 prong tiffany style setting or soemthing similar. most of the color will only be detected from the side view, which almost no one will ever see. 6 prongs or another setting could help block a little of that exposure.

It looks like a beutiful stone!

Oh, before you set it, I'd take it to an independent appraiser just to get specs on it, good for insurance and pice of mind:yes:
Also, you'll find out exact color and weight of this as well.

Thats a bloody good idea!!! You can have it certificated while its unset,and as Swanky said that is super useful for insurance!!!
I sometimes wish I had had mine certed,but I had it weighed and as I'm a grader did the rest myself and got a diamond merchant whos a good pal just to double check it for me. (he thought my color grade was quite harsh at I and swears his reputation it should be a H,but I did'nt want the insurance company thinking I was being too favourable as its my own stone,maybe I will have it unset and certed at some stage)

THaNKS so much for all the great advice ladies!

Does anyone know what type of cut it is from just looking at the pics? It does not look like today's modern round brilliant, so I was thinking Transitional cut maybe?

you'd have to post clearer, closer photos for me.
Turn it over on a white piece of paper, that will help you see how much warmth is actually in it.
A halo could help it, I'd stay w/ it's same color or go only slightly whiter so there's not really any contrast.

I may be getting my upgrade this week. . . am dying to get it certed before hand but DH already thinks I'm WAAY over analyzing this deal! LOL!

It can take up to 4 weeks to have a stone certed depending on how busy the lab is,and with xmas looming it will probably add a week or so on. But it really is a good idea to have it certed,if you can stand the wait!!!!

Its a round brilliant,and as Swanky says put it on a peice of paper upside down and then,either put a fold in the paper or hold a nother peice of paper behind it,look through the bottom facets to where they go to a point, side on, thats how grading for color works,the only thing is you will be using tungsten light which is quite yellowy,and if you try and do it in natural daylight chances are there will be a bit too much glare,but have a go it'll be interesting for you!!