what are your thoughts between e/w and the classic medium flap?

I think it depends on what you want to use it for and your lifestyle and of course which style of e/w you're considering vs. which style of medium flap. Btw - they're actually the same size in length. Hold the bottom of the two together and you'll see they're the same. The size difference is only in the height.

The pricing definitely differs though. The pre-increase price of a caviar e/w I believe is $1350 USD(or it could be $1395 can't remember exactly) and the pre-increase price of a caviar medium classic flap is $1995USD. As of Nov 1st latest they'll be more expensive.

The e/w typically only has a single chain and there is no double flap. The bijoux chain is a double chain. It also has no back exterior pocket or front pocket. As such there's less nooks & crannies for organization, but really unless you're using those spots to hold papers/cards and can't imagine not having that organizational flexibility you won't miss those pockets. If you only put one layer of items into your flap then the e/w and caviar medium flap really pretty much holds the exact same amount of items. If anything I find it easier to fit slightly more into the e/w or at least have less tight a fit due to the fact that the sides of the e/w can be 100% expanded meaning the sides are 90 degrees perpendicular to the front/back. Whereas the back of the side of the medium flap is actually stitched to the back so you lose a bit of room on both sides.

If you're only going to have one flap ever I'd go with the medium classic flap just cuz it's eternally classic.

After I got my first medium classic flap I got an e/w to diversify a bit and I LOVE it to bits. Really really :heart: it. It's easy to get in and out of - I don't have to worry about the inner flap. The one I got has the bijoux chain so it gives me the flexibility to wear it messenger style. The bag is also incredibly light.

If at all possible - I'd go to a dept store or boutique and try out the different styles in the different leather. Sometimes you just gotta rely on that gut feeling and see what you totally fall in love with.

As for colour - if you want anything remotely light coloured I'd stick with caviar. I loooove the feel of the lambskin but so far have only dared to get it in black.

Anyways, hope this was helpful and good luck with your choice! :flowers:
Wow that was a really informative post! :tup:

I guess the E/W just looks longer because proportionally it's shorter so ... ya. did that make sense?

I prefer the medium/large to the e/w due to the double chain as well as that it is the "classic" design. I went through the same dilemma and got the medium/large in black. I was tempted by the east/west price, but thought I might regret it.

Both are very cute :smile:

Thank you all for your replies, i had been wondering for days and taking my time to decide between these two until its getting clear that if i still dun make my decision, i am gonna have to pay much more later on!!!

I saw in some of the pics that the medium flap seemed to have e sides "poking" out and nw i know why.
all thanks to jadecee for your wonderful explaination =)

The price difference, i feel, is quite great and i actually do think that i may get both someday but one at a time first.
Its the first time i am getting a chanel and its just so overwhelming cos i realised that i like everything.
haha

tough choice!

now, i am more or less decided on the e/w.

is the new chain better or the old one with the leather better?

the thought of it being able to act as a sling bag is sooo tempting to me!

The e-w is a great choice and I know you said you have pretty much decided on getting it. If you THINK you may want the medium flap, I would encourage you to go ahead and get if if you can now since it will be about the price of a jumbo after the increase. You have to get what is right for you, though and you can't go wrong with either one. None of the cruise bags really jump out at me and if I don't like the S/S bags (or can't get a purple or red reissue) then the e-w flap is next on my list.

I own both styles in several colors. They fit the same amount inside. The only thing I miss on the e/w is the outer back pocket, which I understand the new ones have the pocket. My first Chanel was the black lamb with gold hardware. I've taken it to weddings, funerals, (sometimes synonymous), dinner, shopping. A great bag. I could say the same for a black e/w being able to go those same places. The single chain on the e/w makes for a very light, easy to carry purse -- and the chain is adjustable!! Don't think you could go wrong with either style -- and I consider the e/w a classic design.

Thank you all for your replies, i had been wondering for days and taking my time to decide between these two until its getting clear that if i still dun make my decision, i am gonna have to pay much more later on!!!

I saw in some of the pics that the medium flap seemed to have e sides "poking" out and nw i know why.
all thanks to jadecee for your wonderful explaination =)

The price difference, i feel, is quite great and i actually do think that i may get both someday but one at a time first.
Its the first time i am getting a chanel and its just so overwhelming cos i realised that i like everything.
haha

tough choice!

now, i am more or less decided on the e/w.

is the new chain better or the old one with the leather better?

the thought of it being able to act as a sling bag is sooo tempting to me!
The old chain leather is more "classic" IMO.

Although I just got a white jumbo today and I would have preferred to get it with the new bijoux chain, but they didn't have it and I don't want to wait.

I bought the medium claassic flap and the E/W at the same time. The medium classic flap can be a little heavy at times for me due to the double chain. I also feel like it's a little small for my frame (5'7" and about 125 lbs.) and it doesn't really fit my long Coach wallet very well. The E/W I feel is a lot lighter, fits my wallet, and looks a bit more proportionate to me. I also like how the E/W chain drop is longer. I know you can adjust the chain on the medium classic flap to one chain but I get really nervous doing this (thinking it might just snap). I honestly think you need to just go to the store and try both on at the same time. See which one suits your body better. GL !

I'm gonna agree with the ladies who said they like the proportions on the medium classic flaps better! I tried on both the e/w and the medium, and the medium just looked better for my taste.

thank you for all replies =)
The thing is, i am in Alabama now because of bf's work and the nearest store is in Atlanta... i feel like kicking myself because 2 weeks ago when i went to NM in Atlanta, i was so disappointed with one particular balenciaga that i saw and was excited about my new lv bag that i completely forgot to check out on the Chanel!!
so now, all i have are pics and pics of you ladies carrying the awesome bag.
I was told by SA at NM that the price increase would start tml midnight so i will need to tell her by tomorrow.
so, if i were to get the e/w and later find it unsuitable, i will have to pay increased price for the classic flap and if i get the classic flap and wish to change it for the e/w, i will also have to pay the increased price.
ahh.....
thank you for listening to my grandmother story.
you ladies have been most helpful to the most fickle-minded person in the world.
ps: why din i discover chanel earlier?????

^I know how you feel...if I had discovered Chanel earlier than 6 months ago I could have had a jumbo for $1650 instead of $2250!!
Anyway, either flap is great. I bought the e/w and the medium at the same time and loved them both for different reasons, however...ended up parting with them because they weren't getting used enough and I opted for the jumbo. The e/w is so sleek and simple yet the medium just looks "better on" IMHO. They fit the same amount...it just really sucks that there is such a LARGE price difference. Good luck tomorrow!!!

I took both home and I was deciding between the two. Here is my take. For a $600 difference between the two, it's best to go with the E/W which now by the way sports the back pocket!!!! It's definitely more of a nightime bag but it's just sooo sleek and pretty...younger looking too. I think the Jumbo is the better bag between that and the Medium. The Medium is only $250 cheaper than the Jumbo so you may as well get the Jumbo being it holds 10x more stuff. See what I mean? So I say go with the E/W being it fits the same as the Medium and is soooo much cheaper. Plus the chain is adjustable where it can be made long and short and even be made into a clutch! It's great! If you could have two flaps, go for the E/W and the Jumbo. The Medium is just too pricey for what it is in my opinion. Good luck!!! :smile: