EU Dental Experience DJS + V-line

xyean

Jul 3, 2022
Consultation day
I had planned to do the surgery at EU for a long time due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews on PurseForum and online. My surgeon of choice was Dr Shin as I feel like he focuses more on a natural aesthetic which was what I was going for. When I arrived, they first made moulds of my teeth and took some X-rays and CT scans of my face. They then took me to a clinic across the street for a health check-up which cost 120,000KRW. The translator Sheila was with me the entire time and was super helpful.

Afterwards, I was taken back to EU for the actual consultation. It’s pretty straight forward – the surgeon discusses what he plans to do with your jaw. For me, since I had an underbite, he told me he would move the jaw back and shave around 6mm to shorten my face. He also told me I will be required to wear braces afterwards which sucked to hear as I had just come off them :sad:. He also goes over all your concerns and answers all your questions. Straight after the consultation, they told me they required the entire surgery fee on that exact same day. At this stage, I felt extremely pressured to pay up, even though I wanted more time to think. However, my surgery date was scheduled in four days, so maybe fair enough? However, a huge red flag to me was when they told me they would take away the costs of the pain medication if I wrote a review online. Since I didn’t have any plans to do it at any other place, I decided to cough up the money.

The entire consultation process took around four hours.

Pre-surgery
Each passing day, I felt more and more nervous to the point where I couldn’t even sleep. More and more questions kept popping up in my head. Two days before the surgery, I sent a barrage of text messages to the translator, telling her if I could schedule another consultation. I also said I wasn’t comfortable about doing the surgery and if there was any way I could change my mind. They responded to me back the next morning, asking if I could come straight away to the clinic for the second consult. I apologised for the trouble, and they said it was completely understandable.

Btw for those scared about nerve damage. Basically, at EU there are two surgical methods – SSRO and IRVO. There is a significantly higher chance of nerve damage occurring for SSRO since this procedure requires cutting where the nerves pass by. However, Dr Shin explained to me that if he finds the potential risk of nerve damage too high, he will switch to IRVO mid-surgery, which helped calm my nerves. It definitely feels as if EU cares about safety first and foremost (which is how it should be). I told him I would rather him be much more conservative than risk any sort of long-term complications. He laughed and said he does that for all his patients.

Day 1
Before the operation, they get you to sign all these documents.

I was taken to a [tiny] operating room where I was told to lie down. My heart was beating the entire time as I was super nervous and kind of regretting it. But I was already strapped to the surgical table so there was no getting out of it at this stage. They injected an IV into me and administered the anaesthesia. You know when you’re receiving it because it burns slightly. Not even five seconds later, I was completely out.

Next thing I knew I woke up in the recovery room super groggy with a voice telling me to wake up. It was honestly nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. There was surprisingly 0 pain, neither did I have any trouble breathing. However, I had mucus at the back of the throat from a previous, recent, cold which definitely added some discomfort. Note that I have sinusitis and often have to breathe through my mouth so it was more natural for me to do so. Your nose on the other hand is extremely blocked, so you will definitely have trouble breathing through there. My throat was not dry or painful at all. I had no nausea either, but I was shivering cold which is most likely from the anaesthesia. I was way too out of it though to fully process it.

Five~ hours later is when the discomfort REALLY began for me. My nose and mouth wouldn’t stop bleeding. There was constant blood pooling inside, along with blood dripping from my nose into my mouth. I would highly recommend bringing your own tissues or ask them for some if they have any. I downed like three packs on the first day alone. The back of my throat also started swelling rapidly for some reason. I would have to open my mouth as wide as I could in order to get a gap to breath. I was honestly scared for my life. I called for the nurse and she came immediately. She said she couldn’t do anything about it but did attempt to comfort me. She hooked me up to a machine to monitor my oxygen. Eventually, my throat did swell down but not even exaggerating, it was the scariest hour of my life. This happened again a few hours later.

The overnight care for the first day was atrocious. The nurse would ignore practically all my call bells, even though I was in extreme discomfort. I accidentally dropped my syringe on the floor sometime during recovery and was unable to pick it up as I was tied to a catheter. At the same time, my throat felt super dry along with my mouth being full of blood and mucus. I wanted to flush it down with water but I couldn’t. I also felt extremely dehydrated since the fluids were not turned on and I obviously couldn't drink (no syringe or water left). Only hours later when she came to check my blood pressure and change my ice pack is when I finally got the chance to ask. She also ended up leaving the light on as well after she left, so that made it extremely hard to sleep. Eventually, I couldn’t bear it any longer and untied the catheter so I could get up and do everything myself. She later chastised me for untying the catheter from the bed but lady what do you expect ??? I eventually managed to get a few hours of sleep.

Pain 0/10, discomfort 8/10

Day 2
I woke up with an extremely dry mouth and throat, which also felt disgusting as it was mixed with dry mucus and blood. I spent a good half hour trying to wash it away with water. My mouth had stopped bleeding for the majority, but my nose was still bleeding. I was woken up at around 8:30 to do some laser de-swelling.

Later on, Dr Shin disinfected my mouth and suctioned my nose which was probably the most painful part of the experience to be honest lol. I actually cried a little due to the pain. But it helps you breathe a lot easier since he gets rid of the gunk in your nose for you.

The second day is much more comfortable. The worst discomfort is probably the gross feeling inside of your mouth and it’s extremely hard to wash out.

I hardly felt like drinking anything. However, it’s extremely important to get some nutrition down, so I forced myself to chug down the NewCare that they provide. It tastes really good. For most of the day, I just rest in bed and played games on my phone to pass time.

The overnight care was also much better. The nurse actually responded to my call bell this time. She also gave me some medication to help deal with the phlegm when she heard me coughing. Well, instead of phlegm, it turns out it was this huge blood clot that was lodged in my throat. It was gross but it felt so satisfying to get out.

Discomfort 6.5/10

Day 3

I was woken up at around 8:30 again for deswelling treatment. I’m still slightly bleeding through my nose, but nowhere near as bad as the first two days. Around 10am, they took more scans of my jaw. I was discharged at around 11am. Sheila came down to the pharmacy with me to help pick up the medication which you are required to take three times a day. I also bought some Vitamin C tablets and protein powder (which are both extremely important for healing).

I was exhausted when I got to my hotel so I slept until 5pm. After I woke up, I decided to go to the shops to buy some groceries. Surprisingly, I still had enough energy, considering how much little I’ve had to consume. When I got home, I mixed high protein milk, yoghurt and NewCare together. I also bought myself a blender which is extremely helpful as you’re supposed to be on a liquid diet for at least a month. I also can’t stress enough of getting the right nutrients.

After the meal, I could manage to get the medication down easy enough, but the mouthwash has a really disgusting taste. You’re supposed to gurgle it for 20-30 seconds, but I couldn’t even last 10 before I started coughing and splattering. However, unfortunately you are required to use it along with the other pills after every single meal.

I’m still coughing up blood clots and mucus from my throat. It’s kind of satisfying in a gross way though since it feels so much better once you get it out.

Discomfort 6/10

Days 4-6
I kept getting more and more swollen.

The compression band was hurting my face, so I decided to take it off completely.

I noticed a large portion of my mid-line of my face was completely numb, along with parts of my chin, lips, and nose. The worst part of it is that when you’re itchy and try to scratch a part of the area, you can’t feel it so the itchy sensation still sticks around lol.

You’re required to sleep upright for at least a week. However, I could hardly sleep properly and kept waking up every few hours.

I had so many questions post-surgery, I felt like I was texting Sheila constantly. But she answered each and every question which was really nice and patient of her :smile: I would've been at my wits end, personally, haha.

Discomfort 4/10

1 week+
I went for a check-up with the surgeon. He disinfected my mouth again and checked my bite. They also used this extremely bitter liquid which tasted absolutely disgusting. It was pooling at the back of my mouth because I refused to swallow it lol. The second they finished I immediately spat it out. Dr Shin said he would remove my stitches the following week.

I am already sick of the liquid diet. Seriously, it’s tough. I couldn’t take it any longer. I had rice porridge and even snacked on chips and muffins. I would highly recommend not doing this and follow their instructions to minimise chances of complications occurring and let the jaw heal. It’s also a huge pain to clean the inside of your mouth, so potential risk of infection is higher. Do as I say, not as I do lol. However, after drinking smoothie after smoothie eventually I just had enough.

The swelling has also continued to go down. Even though I’m still swollen as a chipmunk, so far I’m really liking the results. My chin is definitely smaller, but it looks very natural, exactly how I wanted it to be. My face is also evidently shorter. However, my jaw seems more recessed than what it should be? Not sure if this is normal or not, but it's much too early to tell how remotely I’ll end up looking though.
I can also already feel sensation coming back to my face. My mid-line isn’t as numb anymore, neither is my chin or lips.

Sleeping is also so much easier. It took me a week to get a full eight hour sleep.

I’m still coughing up blood clots and mucus. My throat is so raw from doing so at this stage, it hurts to even speak at times.

Discomfort 2/10

I'll keep updating this post. I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone has any!

Last edited:
How long will you be over there? How long between consultation and surgery? Sorry I am going there at the end of the year and will go through Eu. Sorry just read that it was 4 days wow!

good luck with the recovery! I hope yoy Heal quickly

How long will you be over there? How long between consultation and surgery? Sorry I am going there at the end of the year and will go through Eu. Sorry just read that it was 4 days wow!

good luck with the recovery! I hope yoy Heal quickly

I'm here from 24th July to 2nd August :smile:

Some people decide to go back to their home country just a few days after their surgery, but Sheila highly recommended at least a month's stay in Korea since for stitch removal and check-ups, and also more imaging scans at the very end.

Reactions: smmerbby
How are you feeling today?
Great! Honestly, the hardest part is probably getting through day 1. After the first week, it gets so much easier to manage but day 3 I was already out and walking and doing normal people stuff. If you're about pain, there was literally none (for me, at least). Everyone has different experiences though. Nonetheless, you should still think hard and long whether or not you're willing to go through with it as it's still a highly invasive surgery with a long recovery time and risk of complications such as sleep apnea, infection, permanent nerve damage, sagging, and other issues. You're required to be on a liquid diet for a month, but won't be able to eat properly for at least three months. Talking is also an issue for the first month. You may also be required to get braces after which may be costly. It's not an easy decision to make and even on the day of the surgery I was having regrets lol.

Nonetheless, I absolutely love my results so far and if you're set on doing it, I would definitely recommend Dr Shin. As far as I'm aware he hasn't had any botched cases so far (or at least they say so). A lot of my sensation has already come back so I think he did a good job at avoiding the nerves, but it's still much too early to tell.

Last edited:
Week 2
I had my stitch removal today and it hurt so bad :crybaby:I was told it wasn't supposed to painful, but every time he took a stitch it stung like crazy. I have really low pain tolerance though. Thank god it was over in 5 minutes. I was told to come back in two weeks for my final imaging scans before I head off back to my home country.

I was also just given the go-ahead to chew soft foods which I'm so happy about!! I was expecting the liquid diet to last over a month which is what I was first told. However, it's still extremely tough to eat as I can only open my mouth about one finger wide so I've basically just been sucking in food like mad.

The swelling has gone down significantly and I'm really, really liking my results so far. My face is still extremely stiff however and I still have trouble talking. I'm not longer coughing up phlegm and blood clots at least. I no longer have issues getting to sleep either.

Great! Honestly, the hardest part is probably getting through day 1. After the first week, it gets so much easier to manage but day 3 I was already out and walking and doing normal people stuff. If you're about pain, there was literally none (for me, at least). Everyone has different experiences though. Nonetheless, you should still think hard and long whether or not you're willing to go through with it as it's still a highly invasive surgery with a long recovery time and risk of complications such as sleep apnea, infection, permanent nerve damage, sagging, and other issues. You're required to be on a liquid diet for a month, but won't be able to eat properly for at least three months. Talking is also an issue for the first month. You may also be required to get braces after which may be costly. It's not an easy decision to make and even on the day of the surgery I was having regrets lol.

Nonetheless, I absolutely love my results so far and if you're set on doing it, I would definitely recommend Dr Shin. As far as I'm aware he hasn't had any botched cases so far (or at least they say so). A lot of my sensation has already come back so I think he did a good job at avoiding the nerves, but it's still much too early to tell.
Week 2
I had my stitch removal today and it hurt so bad :crybaby:I was told it wasn't supposed to painful, but every time he took a stitch it stung like crazy. I have really low pain tolerance though. Thank god it was over in 5 minutes. I was told to come back in two weeks for my final imaging scans before I head off back to my home country.

I was also just given the go-ahead to chew soft foods which I'm so happy about!! I was expecting the liquid diet to last over a month which is what I was first told. However, it's still extremely tough to eat as I can only open my mouth about one finger wide so I've basically just been sucking in food like mad.

The swelling has gone down significantly and I'm really, really liking my results so far. My face is still extremely stiff however and I still have trouble talking. I'm not longer coughing up phlegm and blood clots at least. I no longer have issues getting to sleep either.
I’m sorry it hurt! It’s exciting you can eat now though do you have much numbness left? Wondering how much you paid again and if you tried to lower the price? Did you mention leaving the review for less or did you wait until there? Thanks.

I’m sorry it hurt! It’s exciting you can eat now though do you have much numbness left? Wondering how much you paid again and if you tried to lower the price? Did you mention leaving the review for less or did you wait until there? Thanks.
I still have extreme numbness on the left middle portion of my face (just underneath my eye) and specific areas on my nose but it's slowly healing. Other than that, all sensation has come completely back on previously numb areas. I would say the main issue right now is how stiff my jaw and face is and swelling which both make it hard to talk and eat. Technically I'm able to chew, but it feels practically impossible so I've just been mashing food with my tongue instead or cutting food into miniature pieces and simply swallowing it whole.

I was quoted 17.5M KRW for both DJS + V-line after bargaining the price. In the end I received a 30% discount due to a promotion they were having. If you agree to be a model, you're able to get a 20% discount. You're also required to pay for medication, hospital stay(?), etc which isn't included in the quoted price IIRC and adds to the cost. I also paid by card which adds 10% VAT. In total, I paid 19.25M KRW but I'll be able to receive 8% of that back at the airport. During the price rundown after the consultation, this is when they told me they would take off the price for the pain medication which costs 100,00KRW if I agreed to write a review once the swelling has gone completely down. I didn't mention anything about it if that's what you mean :P

Last edited:
I still have extreme numbness on the left middle portion of my face (just underneath my eye) and specific areas on my nose but it's slowly healing. Other than that, all sensation has come completely back on previously numb areas. I would say the main issue right now is how stiff my jaw and face is and swelling which both make it hard to talk and eat. Technically I'm able to chew, but it feels practically impossible so I've just been mashing food with my tongue instead or cutting food into miniature pieces and simply swallowing it whole.

I was quoted 17.5M KRW for both DJS + V-line after bargaining the price. In the end I received a 30% discount due to a promotion they were having. If you agree to be a model, you're able to get a 20% discount. You're also required to pay for medication, hospital stay(?), etc which isn't included in the quoted price IIRC and adds to the cost. I also paid by card which adds 10% VAT. In total, I paid 19.25M KRW but I'll be able to receive 8% of that back at the airport. During the price rundown after the consultation, this is when they told me they would take off the price for the pain medication which costs 100,00KRW if I agreed to write a review once the swelling has gone completely down. I didn't mention anything about it if that's what you mean :P
They quoted me 27 million krw… only 10% off if I do the model program. I’m not sure if I should try to get that lower because it’s a lot more than you were quoted. Has swelling gone down much? Have you been able to get out and do much around Seoul or not feeling up to it?

They quoted me 27 million krw… only 10% off if I do the model program. I’m not sure if I should try to get that lower because it’s a lot more than you were quoted. Has swelling gone down much? Have you been able to get out and do much around Seoul or not feeling up to it?
Yikes... that's definitely a steep price. I'm not sure why they quoted me so different. Maybe because it's becoming more popular? A lot of the times when I'm there the waiting room is pretty full. Maybe ask if there's any other way they can lower the price. It might even be worth consulting at another clinic.

The swelling has gone down significantly. Week 1 is when most of the swelling occurred for me. After that, it started decreasingly rapidly. I'm still very swollen but definitely a big improvement from the first week. Give it maybe 3-5 more days and I'd be comfortable going outside without a mask.

I was quite low on energy around the one week mark as I was unable to consume enough calories. At this stage I mostly stayed inside and rested. I'm completely fine now though. Yes, I've been able to get out and about! I've already visited quite a few places around Seoul during my recovery. It just sucks that I'm unable to properly enjoy the food here haha.

On another note, I have ever so slight pain around my jawline, but it's pretty negligible. Maybe a 1/10? More of an annoyance than anything.

Yikes... that's definitely a steep price. I'm not sure why they quoted me so different. Maybe because it's becoming more popular? A lot of the times when I'm there the waiting room is pretty full. Maybe ask if there's any other way they can lower the price. It might even be worth consulting at another clinic.

The swelling has gone down significantly. Week 1 is when most of the swelling occurred for me. After that, it started decreasingly rapidly. I'm still very swollen but definitely a big improvement from the first week. Give it maybe 3-5 more days and I'd be comfortable going outside without a mask.

I was quite low on energy around the one week mark as I was unable to consume enough calories. At this stage I mostly stayed inside and rested. I'm completely fine now though. Yes, I've been able to get out and about! I've already visited quite a few places around Seoul during my recovery. It just sucks that I'm unable to properly enjoy the food here haha.

On another note, I have ever so slight pain around my jawline, but it's pretty negligible. Maybe a 1/10? More of an annoyance than anything.
Did they remove your wisdom teeth at the same time? It’s good you are able to travel around! I an happy to hear you are ok now, have been getting so nervous. Did they give you anything to prevent nausea?

Have the surgeons been in touch much since you have left? I’m glad your swelling is decreasing quickly, I have been worried I will look like a balloon for months.

Did they remove your wisdom teeth at the same time? It’s good you are able to travel around! I an happy to hear you are ok now, have been getting so nervous. Did they give you anything to prevent nausea?

Have the surgeons been in touch much since you have left? I’m glad your swelling is decreasing quickly, I have been worried I will look like a balloon for months.

I had my wisdom teeth removed prior the the surgery so there was no need to. The surgeon creates a surgical plan based off the imaging scans, moulds, consultation, etc, and I do believe they take them out during the surgery if required/needed but you will need to double check as I'm not entirely sure. I hated getting my wisdom teeth out just as much as DJS even though it's supposed to be a minor procedure lol :doh:

As far as I'm aware, I received no other medication other than to deal with the pain (NSAIDs, not opioids) and phlegm. They may have given me other medication, but I'm not entirely sure. I was lucky in the sense that the only symptom I experienced post-op was feeling a little cold due to the anaesthesia. Therefore, no nausea, pain, sore throat, or breathing issues (other than the times my throat swelled up). Every person has different experiences.
Also I'm used to breathing through my mouth which is why I say no breathing issues, but your nose will be entirely congested so be prepared for that.

If you have any concerns or questions, your first point of contact will be the translator. Sheila will be able to promptly schedule an appointment with the surgeon if you want to see him again post-op for whatever reason. But after the surgery you have weekly checkups for the first two weeks. After your stitches are taken out the second week, you're required to go back two weeks later for another checkup with the surgeon + screws removal and imaging scans. Those are the only times you really see him other than day 1-2 post-op.

You won't look like a balloon for too long! During the first month, the majority of the swelling goes down. It's completely normal to be nervous~ It's a huge procedure after all and definitely give it more thought. Even I was regretting it on the day of the surgery. I really don't want to come off as if I'm promoting or recommending going ahead with it, rather I'm just telling you my experience. I'm just extremely grateful my recovery process has been smooth sailing so far. Some have it much worse than I do.

Last edited: