Van Cleef in action!

I love your comments so much. I always struggle with the answer, so unless someone specifically asks for the brand, I just thank them for the compliment and don't volunteer it. If they do ask, I just say Van Cleef. Not many people in my area have a clue what that is, so similar to when I'm carrying an Hermes bag and the supermarket check-out person compliments it, I take it as an appreciation for the design, independent of any bias of perception based on the brand.
And that's the way it should be!

Sorry to confuse, but those pearls are not mine; I just posted a photo as an example.
I do have pearls (my first love is pearls!), and yes, I do layer. However, when I layer, I like to layer long strands, not short strands.

A layering short story...
The worst offence I have done in layering is wearing four strands at once. It was at a formal event, and I was wearing a red dress. I decided to pile it on with four strands of pearls. So... imagine a very clean, slim, red column dress with four strands of pearls piled on, layered from 18" to 52". It somehow worked, at least to me it did! :yes:

So yes... if you like pearls, pile it on! No one knows if your pearls are AAA top quality or fake glass. Only I knew my pearls were real and how much I paid (and perhaps a few pearl connoisseurs). If I had to guess, I would think most people thought they were fake as pearls are ubiquitous. However, that in itself was the beauty... it was not about the value of my jewelry, it was about the fashion look of my simple red column dress, dripping in ropes of pearls.

I love pearls... they always make a statement.
Pearls to me are quiet elegance, a fashion statement, not a money statement (unless a person really knows about pearls).

If you are thinking of getting pearls or adding more pieces to pile on, go for it! :biggrin::heart:
I love love love pearls! They will make you glow!
Hey--you can't go wrong with layers of pearls. I'm sure your layers were beautiful Think Coco Chanel. My mother certainly did.
My beautiful mother at 90!

image_provider.jpeg

IMG_2255.jpeg

Pearls! - 1.jpeg

Pearls! #2 - 1.jpeg

Pearls! #3 - 1.jpeg

This is a bit off topic and may sound like a strange question but are you a writer? If not, you should be (I also think @BigAkoya has talent for this) because I just enjoy reading your posts so much no matter how short or lengthy and admire not just your fashion style & collections but writing style as well! Apologies for fangirling I just had to mention this.

I’ve also had people come up to me to ask what pieces I’m wearing (usually my Cartier JUC or VCA pieces) and they are so kind in their compliments but I’m always a bit anxious to say the wrong thing. I don’t want to be rude and I worry that if I’m vague they would think I’m trying to gatekeep information or being snobbish by not mentioning the store/brand name.

I know you must have replied to her in the most gracious way but I do feel when I say the brand names it sounds a bit pretentious and I don’t want to alienate people who don’t know the brand. Some people who have asked have been strangers or friends who don’t know the brand. I wonder if there’s a happy medium response to the question of “where did you get it from?” that doesn’t come off as information gatekeeping nor pretentious.
My thoughts here on how to respond to "where did you get it?"....

This is just my opinion of course.
To me, pretentious is not what a person wears; it's the person's attitude. There are very wealthy people who drip with money, yet they are the kindest and most gracious people. There are also people who wear one little piece of luxury logo jewelry, yet they act high & mighty.

I feel that by downplaying what we wear and being vague in our response, we are indirectly being pretentious. The question asked is a simple question, yet we are immediately assuming the other person cannot afford nor does not know about the finer things in life. As they say, there is always a bigger bear, and I never assume I am the bigger bear.

For me, when complimented and asked "where did I get it" or "what brand is it", I respond with a big humble grin and say "thank you so much, it's a brand called Van Cleef & Arpels." If the person knows VCA, they will say so. If they do not know VCA, they will go and google. I try and come across as humble and kind. Being kind is different than being friendly. Being kind is being courteous and considerate.

I am a believer of learning from others as each of us has so much knowledge to share.
I want to be exposed to and learn about the finer things in life. Yes, it's a shallow comment, but it's relevant here in the context of this conversation about luxury goods.

I came from humble beginnings. I worked as a waitress on the weekends in high school. I worked through college as well, and I did not know much about the finer things in life, much less desire them.

I had a best friend in high school who's father was a jeweler. He sold very high end jewelry and custom pieces. My best friend would get amazing gifts for events. Eight gifts for Hanukkah, every year, and most of the time, it was bling! :nuts::heart:

I knew nothing of bling. I was a poor kid, but my friend and her father kindly showed me fine jewelry, told me about Cartier and other brands. They did not see me as a poor kid nor tried to hide it from me. They graciously shared with me what they knew.

This opened my eyes, not only to bling, but to life, the finer things in life. It gave me ambition, to want to be more than what I was.

Hence, my view is... when someone asks, tell them the truth, but be gracious and kind.
The more we know about life, the more we grow as a person. It is then our decision if we decide to run with that knowledge or not.
Without that knowledge however, we do not know what wonderful things are out there in the world.

Hence, for me... when asked, I say that my piece is VCA or whatever brand I am wearing...
The little girl who hears about VCA may google and realize... "nah, that's just for 'rich' people" or "wow, I want to own these pieces when I grow up, so I better do well in school and start working for it." I hope it's the latter. She may be inspired; she may be tomorrow's CEO who piles on VCA. :biggrin: :heart:

Sharing information and knowledge is a good thing. Just my thoughts I want to share for another point of view. :yes:

Last edited:
20 wg chalcedony for sure. I’ve tried it on and was so struck by it. It’s the most beautiful VCA non-hj piece I’ve tried on. It just doesn’t work *on* me, but to me the chalcedony 20 is exquisite. BigAkoya said it better below and has expressed helpful thoughts on metal vs stone 20s before, but the chalcedony 20 is the clear winner to me (always)
We should just dive in and get some chalcedony! :nuts::heart:
It's such a lovely stone, and every time I see it in the case, I just stop to stare. It always catches my eye!

All this talk of chalcedony is inspiring me to try it on, again, for probably the 5th time. :yes:

Sorry to confuse, but those pearls are not mine; I just posted a photo as an example.
I do have pearls (my first love is pearls!), and yes, I do layer. However, when I layer, I like to layer long strands, not short strands.

A layering short story...
The worst offence I have done in layering is wearing four strands at once. It was at a formal event, and I was wearing a red dress. I decided to pile it on with four strands of pearls. So... imagine a very clean, slim, red column dress with four strands of pearls piled on, layered from 18" to 52". It somehow worked, at least to me it did! :yes:

So yes... if you like pearls, pile it on! No one knows if your pearls are AAA top quality or fake glass. Only I knew my pearls were real and how much I paid (and perhaps a few pearl connoisseurs). If I had to guess, I would think most people thought they were fake as pearls are ubiquitous. However, that in itself was the beauty... it was not about the value of my jewelry, it was about the fashion look of my simple red column dress, dripping in ropes of pearls.

I love pearls... they always make a statement.
Pearls to me are quiet elegance, a fashion statement, not a money statement (unless a person really knows about pearls).

If you are thinking of getting pearls or adding more pieces to pile on, go for it! :biggrin::heart:
I love love love pearls! They will make you glow!
Thanks for this, @BigAkoya. I like to layer my opera length pearls and my mother's medium length strand of bigger pearls, and i always feel a little extra when I do that, but I love it too!!! Now I am off to shop for slim red dress.... :smile: