The Different Mulberry Leathers: A Guide

584c3369-41ad-4454-b74e-84915e03000a.jpg

7aab70e0-ea1c-4a41-aba0-bc82e16a11f8.jpg

Can any of the lovely ladies here tell me what leather is this?

Hi ladies, please could someone help me? I’d love a black Lily but in a matte, grainy leather, rather than glossy goat. I believe mulberry made the medium in soft grain but they say they never made the regular in that one. I’ve just found this review of a Lily, on YouTube, and it’s exactly the combination I’m after. Does anyone know the name of this leather so that I can go ISO it preloved, please? https://youtu.be/VMRhzF6vrm8

Hi ladies, please could someone help me? I’d love a black Lily but in a matte, grainy leather, rather than glossy goat. I believe mulberry made the medium in soft grain but they say they never made the regular in that one. I’ve just found this review of a Lily, on YouTube, and it’s exactly the combination I’m after. Does anyone know the name of this leather so that I can go ISO it preloved, please? https://youtu.be/VMRhzF6vrm8
I have a black medium Lily in soft grain and the leather in that video looks very similar to mine.

Last edited:
I've recently discovered Mulberry and would like to learn about more about the different leather options. I've read through this thread but have not had a chance to go to the boutique yet. Please share your experience and wisdom! Thanks!

Heavy grain (bovine) vs small classic grain (cow)
  • Is there a noticeable difference in weight for the same bag style?
  • Is there a noticeable difference in the thickness of leather?
  • Does one soften up and become more pliable more than the other in the long run?
Leather quality vs LWG rating
It is wonderful to see that they source from tannery that are members of the Leather Working Group. There is a variety of country of origin, e.g. Germany, Spain, and Italy, and their LWG rating, e.g. gold, silver, bronze and no rating. I am not familiar with the LWG rating. Does the LWG rating reflect the quality of the leather?

Congo

This was their original leather along with the Scotchgrain I think. It is very shiny and looks reptile like. It is easy to care for (as long as you spray!) and looks very classy - I will always have a soft spot for the Congo. A few years ago this was thought of as Mulberry signature leather.

Darwin

This is what the classics have generally been made of. Think Kate Moss's Bayswater, Scarletts Roxanne. It is heavy (wearing and weight!) and is supposed to have a vintage look. It ages beautifully!!

Glove

This is a lighter leather (Not half as heavy as the Darwin) doesn't age like the darwin but not dissimilar. Bayswaters can be made of this but are generally made of Darwin

Scotchgrain

This is again an older mulberry style. Completely hard wearing and so easy to maintain (I use babywipes!) My Scotchgrain have lasted for years and still look new.

I hope this helps - feel free to add:smile:
Hi, I know this is an old thread - I wondered if anyone can help me! I picked up an EW Bays and the seller said it is Congo leather. Can anyone confirm this? When did Mulberry stop producing Congo leather? What's the difference between Congo and the later printed leather? thanks alot!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-07 at 07.45.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-07 at 07.45.06.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 7
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-07 at 07.45.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-07 at 07.45.05.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 7