Dooney Deals and Sales Chat

Not a good sign if you like shopping Dooney on HSN. All bags are on clearance and there are no Dooney shows scheduled. I have a feeling HSN is going to stop selling Dooney. At least for now you may see a bag you like at a good price.

Not a good sign if you like shopping Dooney on HSN. All bags are on clearance and there are no Dooney shows scheduled. I have a feeling HSN is going to stop selling Dooney. At least for now you may see a bag you like at a good price.
Hmmm. Not a good sign at all.
Maybe QVC and HSN have decided that having the same vendors on both channels doesn't work as well as they thought.
HSN seems to have a lot of handbag offerings.... many of them at much lower prices because they are not all leather, like most of the Dooney bags. Maybe HSN is trimming their handbag brand
shows.

Or maybe it's just an end of season thing and updates and new shows and new bags will appear.

I ended up returning my Salmon Cameron from HSN...the leather tag didn't look centered to me...compared to my other Cameron's....HSN did not take care to package it well. Just ruined it for me.

• Sad
Reactions: RuedeNesle
Hmmm. Not a good sign at all.
Maybe QVC and HSN have decided that having the same vendors on both channels doesn't work as well as they thought.
HSN seems to have a lot of handbag offerings.... many of them at much lower prices because they are not all leather, like most of the Dooney bags. Maybe HSN is trimming their handbag brand
shows.

Or maybe it's just an end of season thing and updates and new shows and new bags will appear.
I'm hoping the same thing, that's it's just end of season warehouse cleaning, or one of those "Clearance on All Dooney" Sales. But what concerns me is they've removed the previous Dooney shows from the guide search (but it has been a while since the last airing and I don't know how far back the history goes), and they're showing several upcoming Patricia Nash shows through September, which includes a TS on September 17th, but when I search Dooney it says "Sorry we couldn't find any matches for Dooney". It could mean there are no shows scheduled before September, but all the signs are pointing in the direction of no more Dooney on HSN. If that's the case they'll reduce prices even more as inventory shrinks.

I'm hoping the same thing, that's it's just end of season warehouse cleaning, or one of those "Clearance on All Dooney" Sales. But what concerns me is they've removed the previous Dooney shows from the guide search (but it has been a while since the last airing and I don't know how far back the history goes), and they're showing several upcoming Patricia Nash shows through September, which includes a TS on September 17th, but when I search Dooney it says "Sorry we couldn't find any matches for Dooney". It could mean there are no shows scheduled before September, but all the signs are pointing in the direction of no more Dooney on HSN. If that's the case they'll reduce prices even more as inventory shrinks.
RN: for longtime Dooney collectors, the HSN shows and offerings rarely enticed or measured up.
We were spoiled by the inventory on QVC, as well as the knowledge of (most) of the hosts and
the Dooney brand ambassadors. Even after well over a year, the HSN hosts weren't
knowledgeable about the brand, although the Dooney brand ambassador did a much better job.
And the Dooney styles on HSN seemed to be several years old, or remakes in less expensive leathers.

Still, I often had the thought that I could be the host or the expert, since I am much
more familiar with the bags than anyone on HSN appeared to be. Yes, I know doing on air
presentations is much harder than it looks, and I'd probably do a terrible job.... but sitting at home,
in my comfy chair, I could easily describe each handbag, all the features, the leather, the pros and
cons, the organization, the size, the colors, and the myriad of ways one could use the bag.
And yes, I know the history of the brand too! :biggrin: I often yelled at the TV when they forgot to
mention something important (like the 3 part strap) or made some error in the presentation.

HSN may be refocusing it's handbag offerings on other brands. Or it may just be a seasonal
pause as they clear the warehouse and wait for shipment of the new fall styles and colors.
Supply chain issues are still a problem in so many areas, not just electronics and chips.
And they could also elect to have the brand online, but not give them air time.

I look forward to every opportunity to see Dooney handbags presented, so I hope they
come back to HSN.

Hi @lavenderjunkie

I agree. I cringed when I watched the very first show and Amanda didn't know why Dooney uses the Duck emblem. But I've been watching her grow into that job and I think she has really improved.
My pet peeve is when I hear a QVC host say something like, "Dooney bags never go on sale.", or "This is only place you'll get to pay for a Dooney in installments." Those are false statements and shouldn't be said. There has to be a better way to sell Dooney without misleading people.
Have I ever purchased a bag on HSN? NO. :lol: But I love watching the shows. I guess watching doesn't pay the bills. Amanda had another baby last year, Sue Clifton's husband passed suddenly last year, and Ashley Bellman is pregnant. Maybe the changes are because of a combination of events.

Reactions: BadWolf10
Hi @lavenderjunkie

I agree. I cringed when I watched the very first show and Amanda didn't know why Dooney uses the Duck emblem. But I've been watching her grow into that job and I think she has really improved.
My pet peeve is when I hear a QVC host say something like, "Dooney bags never go on sale.", or "This is only place you'll get to pay for a Dooney in installments." Those are false statements and shouldn't be said. There has to be a better way to sell Dooney without misleading people.
Have I ever purchased a bag on HSN? NO. :lol: But I love watching the shows. I guess watching doesn't pay the bills. Amanda had another baby last year, Sue Clifton's husband passed suddenly last year, and Ashley Bellman is pregnant. Maybe the changes are because of a combination of events.
RN: guess we will see what happens. I've missed Sue. Ashley and Adrian do a good job on QVC
representing Dooney.... but...it's hard to replace Sue Clifton in my eyes.
QVC has had a lot of Dooney shows lately, lots of things on sale, lots of Flo styles brought back.
I'm waiting for the book shelves of colors to reappear. And if we ever see the small,
now called regular, Flo satchel in 15 or more colors at the same time, I know we will
be back to 'normal'. One can hope.

Rode to the outlet in Livermore with my DD for back to school shopping. I couldn't leave without stopping in Dooney. If anyone is interested in the new Western collection it is already at the outlet at 25% off. I took two pictures and accidentally deleted the best one. :sad: They also had a variety of colors of nylon, pebble leather, and Florentine satchels, totes, and crossbody bags. @lavenderjunkie they had two nylon Layla bags for $91.50, blue, and I forgot the other color. I liked seeing it IRL! It's still on my shortlist but I'm in my satchel/zip top phase now and I know I won't use it anytime soon.
20210813_155811.jpg

Reactions: BadWolf10
RN: thanks for the update. Glad you had fun with your DD. The leather on the Western Collection
intrigues me.... but.... the horse shoe design detailing isn't for me. Guess that's good news...
I need more reasons not to buy another handbag. :biggrin:

I miss going to the outlets and the Dooney boutique (before they closed it). Seeing and touching
the handbags in person is very important. I can get good prices online,
not always the best, but I don't get to see the new bags and decide if they are right for me.
As a result, I tend to reorder different colors of those leathers and styles that I already
know and love.

As for the Layla, I think it's a great bag, I use it as a satchel (hand carry, sides snapped closed), it will also fit over the shoulder). But I'll probably never forget
the fact that I paid more for my nylon one than I should have. Half off seemed like it made
sense until they dropped the price so much more. I decided not to return it and go thru
the reorder hassle, etc. But I'm not as happy as I should be, and the bag is so stunning in
black leather with tan trim that I couldn't send it back. I also have 2 Layla in pebbled leather
that I got at great sale prices.... a yellow and another color (mauve? oyster? dusty blue?)...
it's buried in my handbag mountain. Time to dig it out. (Note to self: when you can't remember
which color handbag you own, it's time to stop buying more!!!!)

While we are on the subject of Dooney nylon, I saw a YT video recently where someone
was comparing the Dooney nylon (old school, not Wayfarer) to a well known brand,
(brand that specializes in nylon totes)....
their conclusion, the Dooney was far more substantial and superior in quality of fabric
and structure and overall quality.

Reactions: RuedeNesle
RN: thanks for the update. Glad you had fun with your DD. The leather on the Western Collection
intrigues me.... but.... the horse shoe design detailing isn't for me. Guess that's good news...
I need more reasons not to buy another handbag. :biggrin:

I miss going to the outlets and the Dooney boutique (before they closed it). Seeing and touching
the handbags in person is very important. I can get good prices online,
not always the best, but I don't get to see the new bags and decide if they are right for me.
As a result, I tend to reorder different colors of those leathers and styles that I already
know and love.

As for the Layla, I think it's a great bag, I use it as a satchel (hand carry, sides snapped closed), it will also fit over the shoulder). But I'll probably never forget
the fact that I paid more for my nylon one than I should have. Half off seemed like it made
sense until they dropped the price so much more. I decided not to return it and go thru
the reorder hassle, etc. But I'm not as happy as I should be, and the bag is so stunning in
black leather with tan trim that I couldn't send it back. I also have 2 Layla in pebbled leather
that I got at great sale prices.... a yellow and another color (mauve? oyster? dusty blue?)...
it's buried in my handbag mountain. Time to dig it out. (Note to self: when you can't remember
which color handbag you own, it's time to stop buying more!!!!)

While we are on the subject of Dooney nylon, I saw a YT video recently where someone
was comparing the Dooney nylon (old school, not Wayfarer) to a well known brand,
(brand that specializes in nylon totes)....
their conclusion, the Dooney was far more substantial and superior in quality of fabric
and structure and overall quality.
I'm sorry for the delay in replying. It was a crazy day of back to school shopping for the grandkids. I envy my DD's energy! I never had to shop for three kids at one time (Elementary, Middle, and high school). When we finally got back I was wiped out! :sweatdrop:

You're welcome for the update! It was nice getting the vapors of the outlet again. And I seriously think this was my first Livermore outlet trip when I didn't go to the Coach store. I usually don't buy anything there but I always stop in.

The Western collection is not for me either. I do like the fun lining but that's all. I hope one day you'll be able to carry your nylon Layla without thinking about the price, but to be honest, if I had Layla in pebbled leather I probably wouldn't carry a nylon Layla. I've been looking on the resell market for a leather Layla and they are hard to find in good condition, or reasonably priced.

Thanks for the info on the youtube video!

What kind of leather is on the western Dooney's? I can't tell? Is it a smooth leather?
Hmm, I don't know. I took pictures but never looked at them closeup. It does look like smooth leather. I watched the presentation on QVC of the hobo bag. All the host said is, like the Florentine line they started with a smooth leather and added the horseshoe. I think her point was to compare the quality of the leather to Florentine.

What kind of leather is on the western Dooney's? I can't tell? Is it a smooth leather?
This is a quote from the Dooney site:
" The leather used in the Western collection has not been specifically treated for water repellency. Thus, the leather will temporarily darken when wet, and return to the original tone once completely dry. The waxed surface may assist in staving off some dirt. With continued use, a lovely shine or patina will develop, only enhancing the beauty of this leather. It is also characteristic for lighter colors to darken with use over time, and with exposure to light.
Minor abrasions may be removed or lessened with the use of a very soft cloth and a gentle buffing action"

So, yes, it sounds similar to Florentine, but also similar to Alto. I don't think it's smooth, in the sense
that the surface hasn't been buffed. But it may be fine grained smooth like Alto and some Florentine.
Note the comment about the surface being waxed.... that's included in the description of Florentine and Alto.

I've learned that understanding the leather means not only how the surface looks, but also how it was tanned, treated, dyed, and the thickness of the leather. They can make all the difference to the end product to me. It's hard to get enough information about these things, so we are left to make our decision based on whether the leather/style appeals to us.

Some of the Dooney smooth leathers have a coating on them.... I thought I loved the Beacon and Emerson collections. I've been using a wallet, and find I don't love the feel. It's a smooth leather, and it's got substance/thickness, but I think it must have some kind of coating. I love the look, and I didn't notice the 'feel' in the handbags, but since a wallet is handled a lot more, I began to notice how the leather felt in my hands. Yes, I'm a leather snob or maybe just weird.

Last edited:
Thanks LJ...I am intrigued with the type of leather it is....I love florentine...Hate that plastic saffiano....just not sure about this western wear...the interior tho is not for me.