Please post your VCA turquoise piece Of jewellery

I love love love that my earrings has sparked a debate/discussion about TQ and VCA's source or supply thereof. Thank you, @BigAkoya and @baghagg for contributing.

I don't know much about their sources or how much of a stash they have, but I really wouldn't be surprised if indeed they are keeping a stash to replace heritage items like mine, ie. several decades old and for the super wealthy clientele's HJ lines.

Would love to see more TQ experts chime in with their thoughts on this topic.
Exactly! I love your earrings and the turquoise color is gorgeous. Today, your earrings are called Heritage/Vintage. But when they were first produced, I am certain it was high jewellery!

Exactly! I love your earrings and the turquoise color is gorgeous. Today, your earrings are called Heritage/Vintage. But when they were first produced, I am certain it was high jewellery!

Ooooh, I had a discussion with some VCA fan friends about this. We weren't certain if mine were HJ but I would be absolutely chuffed if indeed they were sold as such. ***doing a little dance*** :lol:

• Love
Reactions: 880 and BigAkoya
By the way, is the metal WG or platinum?

That's an excellent Q. I don't know. But I will ask the boutique manager. It should be Pt...I just found this information!! Your post prompted me to look at the work order, and somehow I completely missed this very important piece of information (duh, Lien!! lol). You were absolutely spot-on!! Incredible!!:tup:

1618636509902.png

And, I found out also that the Maison's flagship workshop is actually based in Switzerland, not Paris as I'd thought. I don't know, however, if my earrings were serviced at the workshop in Paris or in Switzerland. Another Q to ask my boutique manager.

That's an excellent Q. I don't know. But I will ask the boutique manager. It should be Pt...I just found this information!! Your post prompted me to look at the work order, and somehow I completely missed this very important piece of information (duh, Lien!! lol).

View attachment 5057965

And, I found out also that the Maison's flagship workshop is actually based in Switzerland, not Paris as I'd thought. I don't know, however, if my earrings were serviced at the workshop in Paris or in Switzerland. Another Q to ask my boutique manager.
I knew it! High Jewelry! Here is why I asked about your metal. I am a big fan of fine jewelry and gemstones (not just VCA). Platinum is my metal of choice. I had asked if they would actually make an Alhambra set for me in platinum and they said no.

I attended L’ECOLE, VCA’s jewelry school when it came to NYC. I asked them at class why they would not do a SO Alhambra in platinum, and the response was platinum is usually reserved for high jewelry.

Congrats on your high jewelry piece! Woo hoo!

I knew it! High Jewelry! Here is why I asked about your metal. I am a big fan of fine jewelry and gemstones (not just VCA). Platinum is my metal of choice. I had asked if they would actually make an Alhambra set for me in platinum and they said no.

I attended L’ECOLE, VCA’s jewelry school when it came to NYC. I asked them at class why they would not do a SO Alhambra in platinum, and the response was platinum is usually reserved for high jewelry.

Congrats on your high jewelry piece! Woo hoo!

You were absolutely spot on!! Woooow! I wonder if that school exists in SG. I'd love to attend it. Yes, when you asked about the metal, I knew what you were asking:smile:, hence prompting me to look a bit more closely at the work order. My very first HJ piece! Yaaaay!! I only bought them on the basis that they were a heritage item. Little did I know that I was venturing into HJ, haha.

Woooo hoooo indeed!! :yahoo::happydance:

Yes, it does to me too. But, I didn't want to drag this conversation out, so I did not comment on the rough piece.
I think the rough shown in the photo is also Sleeping Beauty. It is so pure. It just has not changed in color. I personally think VCA still has a stash of Sleeping Beauty on reserve, for replacement of older pieces especially high jewellery. They just don't have enough to make mass produced pieces such as Alhambra as part of a current line.

My rationale for this is VCA created some beautiful high jewellery using turquoise. Every high jewellery collection it seems has turquoise. They surely would have thought ahead that some of these pieces might need to be replaced as they would be chipped or the color changed. The stash is for this purpose. Their high jewellery clients woudld be majorly disappointed if they needed a turquoise piece replaced and VCA said, "sorry, we can't do it".

As FYI... I have turquoise pieces from Tiffany. My pieces have definitely changed color over the years. The piece I "touch" the most are my earrings. My "well moisturized silky soft hands/fingers" are all over the turquoise stone when I put my earrings on, and the turquoise has turned greenish due to the oils. I actually had Tiffany replace them once which they did. We all know turquoise is very sensitive to chemicals and oils. Turquoise is now stabilized, but even so, it will change color over the years if worn often, especially against skin. I am not surprised the earrings turned green. There is no other way to put on earrings without fingers being all over the stone.

I may be totally wrong, and I am certainly not a gemstone expert, but that's my theory on turquoise at VCA... the secret stash. :smile:
Maybe they can convince the owners of Sleeping Beauty to open up the mine again for turquoise, but I think mining copper was more profitable.

ETA: Oh, and since you know about Sleeping Beauty, if you look at @Lien original post of her new earrings, you would swear those are Sleeping Beauty stones. So beautiful! They just have this robin's egg blue glow that is hard to beat.

i love sleeping beauty. My mom has a chunky cabochon ring with this stone and it’s just perfect - although surprisingly the color has not changed at all (although maybe that’s because she never wears it). I was surprised to discover when I went to Utah in December that there are stillpieces made with Sleeping Beauty that are available for sale in the western/Native American shops...expensive but not insane...so it’s still out there somewhat.

You were absolutely spot on!! Woooow! I wonder if that school exists in SG. I'd love to attend it. Yes, when you asked about the metal, I knew what you were asking:smile:, hence prompting me to look a bit more closely at the work order. My very first HJ piece! Yaaaay!! I only bought them on the basis that they were a heritage item. Little did I know that I was venturing into HJ, haha.

Woooo hoooo indeed!! :yahoo::happydance:
I am so excited for you and your gorgeous piece!
On the metal question, yes... it's so funny. All I wanted was an Alhambra set, but instead of using WG for the metal, I asked them to use Platinum (I know, no one will know if it's WG vs. Platinum, but I will know). Horrors! What? You want to use Platinum for the casual Alhambra line? I now know that's what they were thinking, but the gentlemen was very polite and explained "No Madam, Platinum is usually reserved for our High Jewelry". :biggrin:
I am sure there are exceptions of course.

On L'ECOLE, there are two permanent schools and three travelling schools. A travelling school is where they come to the location every few years. The travelling schools are in NYC, Dubai, and Tokyo. The two permanent schools are in Paris and... Hong Kong! Yes... HK... just a hop and skip away from you!

They do exhibitions as well as hold classes. If you are interested, I would suggest you take a week and sign up for classes back to back and just enjoy the week there. I did that when L'ECOLE came to NYC. I just packed in as many classes as I could during that week. It was so worth it.

Regarding Switzerland vs. Paris, I am almost certain their main workshop is at Place Vendome in Paris. It's been there since VCA opened at Place Vendome in 1906 (hence their logo is the Vendome Column). VCA was bought by Richemont (same owner of Cartier) in 1999, so based on what you asid, I wonder if Richemont opened a workshop in Switzerland. I would love to hear what your SA says about a workshop in Switzerland, and if it's true, is it for any Richemont brand (e.g. VCA, Cartier, Buccellati...) or specific for VCA?

Here is the link to the L'ECOLE so you can browse overall. Then scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the HK school. Wow... you are so lucky you are close to a permanent school.
Homepage | L'ÉCOLE School of Jewelry Arts (lecolevancleefarpels.com)

By the way, I travel a lot on business (well, used to) and used to fly to Asia. SG is beautiful, but soooo hot! I was in suits, dying of heat. :nuts: During my business trips, I often went to SG, but I would do a quick hop over to HK for the weekend. I think it's only a little over 4 hours, but that's a short flight when you're talking travel in Asia as I am sure you know. Take a look at the website and classes and see if any interest you. I really enjoyed them and plan to take more classes when L'ECOLE comes back to NYC.

I am sure you're going to love this piece even more knowing it's high jewelry!
I went back to your original post and it's gorgeous. Please post mods shots if you're not shy.
So happy for you! :tup:

On the metal question, yes... it's so funny. All I wanted was an Alhambra set, but instead of using WG for the metal, I asked them to use Platinum (I know, no one will know if it's WG vs. Platinum, but I will know). Horrors! What? You want to use Platinum for the casual Alhambra line? I now know that's what they were thinking, but the gentlemen was very polite and explained "No Madam, Platinum is usually reserved for our High Jewelry". :biggrin:

On L'ECOLE, there are two permanent schools and three travelling schools. A travelling school is where they come to the location every few years. The travelling schools are in NYC, Dubai, and Tokyo. The two permanent schools are in Paris and... Hong Kong! Yes... HK... just a hop and skip away from you!

They do exhibitions as well as hold classes. If you are interested, I would suggest you take a week and sign up for classes back to back and just enjoy the week there. I did that when L'ECOLE came to NYC. I just packed in as many classes as I could during that week. It was so worth it.

Regarding Switzerland vs. Paris, I am almost certain their main workshop is at Place Vendome in Paris. It's been there since VCA opened at Place Vendome in 1906 (hence their logo is the Vendome Column). VCA was bought by Richemont (same owner of Cartier) in 1999, so based on what you asid, I wonder if Richemont opened a workshop in Switzerland. I would love to hear what your SA says about a workshop in Switzerland, and if it's true, is it for any Richemont brand (e.g. VCA, Cartier, Buccellati...) or specific for VCA?

Here is the link to the L'ECOLE so you can browse overall. Then scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the HK school. Wow... you are so lucky you are close to a permanent school.

By the way, I travel a lot on business (well, used to) and used to fly to Asia. SG is beautiful, but soooo hot! I was in suits, dying of heat. :nuts: During my business trips, I often went to SG, but I would do a quick hop over to HK for the weekend. I think it's only a little over 4 hours, but that's a short flight when you're talking travel in Asia as I am sure you know. Take a look at the website and classes and see if any interest you. I really enjoyed them and plan to take more classes when L'ECOLE comes back to NYC.

I went back to your original post and it's gorgeous. Please post mods shots if you're not shy.
Thanks for reminder on the Hk school. I was going to sign my daughter up last year for one of the kids classes but then covid....should be all open now!

Thanks for reminder on the Hk school. I was going to sign my daughter up last year for one of the kids classes but then covid....should be all open now!
Wow... you live in HK! I am sure your daughter would love those classes for kids!
Yes, it is open as I received an email they opened again. There is also a gold exhibition going on now, so that would be nice plus. Here is the L'ECOLE HK link: Homepage | L'ÉCOLE School of Jewelry Arts (lecolevancleefarpels.com)

And... in case you like tea, Fortnum & Mason opened in HK! You are so lucky, so many great places.
Fortnum & Mason is also at K11 MUSEA/Victoria Dockside (where L'ECOLE HK also is), so maybe you and your daughter would enjoy afternoon tea: Hong Kong - Fortnum & Mason (fortnumandmason.com)

Last edited:
Yes, it does to me too. But, I didn't want to drag this conversation out, so I did not comment on the rough piece.
I think the rough shown in the photo is also Sleeping Beauty. It is so pure. It just has not changed in color. I personally think VCA still has a stash of Sleeping Beauty on reserve, for replacement of older pieces especially high jewellery. They just don't have enough to make mass produced pieces such as Alhambra as part of a current line.

My rationale for this is VCA created some beautiful high jewellery using turquoise. Every high jewellery collection it seems has turquoise. They surely would have thought ahead that some of these pieces might need to be replaced as they would be chipped or the color changed. The stash is for this purpose. Their high jewellery clients woudld be majorly disappointed if they needed a turquoise piece replaced and VCA said, "sorry, we can't do it".

As FYI... I have turquoise pieces from Tiffany. My pieces have definitely changed color over the years. The piece I "touch" the most are my earrings. My "well moisturized silky soft hands/fingers" are all over the turquoise stone when I put my earrings on, and the turquoise has turned greenish due to the oils. I actually had Tiffany replace them once which they did. We all know turquoise is very sensitive to chemicals and oils. Turquoise is now stabilized, but even so, it will change color over the years if worn often, especially against skin. I am not surprised the earrings turned green. There is no other way to put on earrings without fingers being all over the stone.

I may be totally wrong, and I am certainly not a gemstone expert, but that's my theory on turquoise at VCA... the secret stash. :smile:
Maybe they can convince the owners of Sleeping Beauty to open up the mine again for turquoise, but I think mining copper was more profitable.

ETA: Oh, and since you know about Sleeping Beauty, if you look at @Lien original post of her new earrings, you would swear those are Sleeping Beauty stones. So beautiful! They just have this robin's egg blue glow that is hard to beat.

Totally agree with all you said! I have Sleeping Beauty turquoise Elizabeth Locke earrings and I felt the same when I saw Lien's new pictures. They definitely have to keep a supply both for limited pieces, a few odds and ends like the Perlee Turquoise, and replacing turquoise in existing pieces.

I also agree on the platinum. I understand the use of wg in Alhambra with the exception of the pave pieces. I'd much prefer platinum for my pave VA pieces. I always choose platinum for my white metal jewelry when it's an option.

I personally think VCA still has a stash of Sleeping Beauty on reserve, for replacement of older pieces especially high jewellery. They just don't have enough to make mass produced pieces such as Alhambra as part of a current line.
100% agree I've thought this for years!

Ps. Wanted to attend the classes in NYC but was primary caregiver for an elderly relative at that time. That must have been so interesting and very special!

Last edited:
100% agree I've thought this for years!

Ps. Wanted to attend the classes in NYC but was primary caregiver for an elderly relative at that time. That must have been so interesting and very special!
I agree with you! How can a luxury jewelry house not have a stash of stones, if only for repairs? And for their top clients, if a client wants to commission a piece with turquoise in it, I am sure they will do that for the client.

I loved L'ECOLE NYC. It comes back every few years, and it should be soon. I plan to go again and take other courses. I think you will love it. You can subscribe to the L'ECOLE NYC school newsletter to get updates:

Hahaha, I literally LOL'ed at the bolded part.

The point you made about the workshop being in Switzerland as a result of the Richemont group acquiring VCA makes a lot of sense. All I know is this. It looks like Richemont must have opened one there. I will relay your Q to my boutique manager when I see him on Wednesday.

1618713431592.png

Thank you for the information re the L'ECOLE and Fortnum & Mason. I love F&M. Used to live in London and frequented them quite a bit. And it looks like I am going to HK when borders open up....wheeeeee!!!

Q please: where have you posted your collections? I'd love to see.

I'd love to meet up next time you're in Singers or even HK. As you said, HK is just short plane hop away.

ETA: I am for sure posting mod shots:smile:.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 880 and BigAkoya
Hahaha, I literally LOL'ed at the bolded part.

The point you made about the workshop being in Switzerland as a result of the Richemont group acquiring VCA makes a lot of sense. All I know is this. It looks like Richemont must have opened one there. I will relay your Q to my boutique manager when I see him on Wednesday.

View attachment 5058682

Thank you for the information re the L'ECOLE and Fortnum & Mason. I love F&M. Used to live in London and frequented them quite a bit. And it looks like I am going to HK when borders open up....wheeeeee!!!

Q please: where have you posted your collections? I'd love to see.

I'd love to meet up next time you're in Singers or even HK. As you said, HK is just short plane hop away.
Wow... there is a Switzerland workshop! I never knew. I guess it doesn't matter that it's not "Paris"... everything is so international now anyway. I would not be surprised if they open up a workshop in HK. My collection is small compared to yours and many others here, and I'm not a big mod shot gal (camera shy). I am getting a couple of pieces this coming weekend though, so maybe I'll post those for fun. I love F&M too and it was a must-go destination when I visited London. I still order from there and have it shipped to the US. Shipping is so easy now that the world is so small, and travel to purchase items in person are no longer needed.

I think you'll love taking some classes at L'ECOLE HK. I really hate a great time and hope L'ECOLE comes back to NYC soon.