2021 Resolution: Shopping my own bag and SLG collection. Any one else?

NOVEMBER ACTIVITIES

1. Bags by Brand Showcase!

Each week, share photos of your bags from the specified brands. Choose a posed “beauty” shot or get your bags out and about in action shots!

We highlight 3 brands per week: 2 premier and 1 contemporary in alphabetical order as listed on tPF. Any brands not listed are showcased in our last week. Brands change to the next set each Sunday.

Our first brand week starts now - Sunday, Oct 31. Please share photos of bags from these brands:
  • Bottega Venetta
  • Burberry
  • Alexander Wang

Tip: Grab your photos from last year in the 2020 resolution thread. Search your user name and the brand to find your photos.

2. Special Stories
Thanks @Claudia Herzog for the suggestion

Wear a bag that has a backstory involving a person, place, or opportunity for which you feel grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
COLOR WEEK BAG SHOWCASE!

• New color weeks start each Sunday
• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.
• Show bags individually or in a group
• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week
• For added fun, show pictures from previous years (2016-2020) or even just one photo from when you started your collection to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.
• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

COLOR WEEKS
Feb. 7: Red (including burgundy)
Feb. 14: Orange & Yellow
Feb. 21: Green
Feb. 28: Blue & Indigo (including turquoise & teal)
Mar. 7: Violet (including purple & pink)
Mar. 14: Black
Mar. 21: Gray
Mar 28: White & Cream
Mar. 31: Brown & Tan
Apr. 4: Metallic (gold, silver, bronze and more!)
Apr. 11: Jeweled and all other embellished
Apr. 18: Multicolored

If you have posted in previous years, you can search the previous threads to find old photos of your bags to share the journey of your curation.

So I did this thing... :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: View attachment 4976570
I love it! It’s a 70...perfect size cuz I can tie it on my bag if I get too warm. Found it in the first 5 minutes, but continued to look. Saw some beautiful scarves for another day and looked at bags too. Really like the Picotin. My SA, Cesar, was super nice without being phony and really generous and welcoming. I had a wonderful time!View attachment 4976573
Major congrats, the scarf is gorgeous!

Ta-da!
The bag I couldn´t resist buying last week arrived today. It´s much better than I had expected. The small traces of use looked so much worse in the listing photos. The only issue this bag has is the abcense of the Dior aroma. The bag smells faintly of French second hand shop - no wonder, that´s where it comes from- and more prominently of Febreze.
It already had some ozone and tomorrow will have tlc.
I´m really happy with my purchase!

IMG_20210201_181359238.jpgIMG_20210201_181419429.jpgIMG_20210201_181443348.jpg

But: oops VC... it´s not very clever to flat pack a soft bag like this one! Not even when it´s a lot cheaper than all the others you are offering...

BottegaV Pouch and Saint Laurent Niki, sold, and then got rid of two old bags found in the cellar, a no name clutch and a MiuMiu satchel.

Love your choices! and the bags...
What red lipstick you recommend? I always want to be that woman who has signature red lips, but have never managed...
Thanks doni! Congratulations again on your bag sales/outs!

Nerd Alert: Red Lipsticks
I have tried and rejected many red lipsticks over the years. I believe there is a shade of red for everyone.
1) Research
  • Colouring, Good old Google does not let me down, first I search for “how to choose a red lipstick for your skin tone.” This Allure article is pretty good, https://www.allure.com/gallery/the-best-red-lipsticks-for-your-skin-tone
  • Universal Reds, Second, there are “universal reds” that are supposed to look great on a number of skin tones. Glamour has a good article, I love the pictures with different models, https://www.glamour.com/story/best-red-lipstick
  • Format, Do you like a matte, satin or sheer feel/finish?
  • Application Type, Do you prefer a pencil, wand or tube?
  • Preference of Shade, Do you prefer coral, true red, brick red, etc.
  • Brand/Price, Do you have favourite brands you want to stick with? I have lipsticks from across the price spectrum. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a good lipstick.
  • More research, reviews, swatches, If you google the name of the lipstick you’re interested in, there’s a high likelihood you’ll be able to find a review. Look for someone who has similar colouring to yours and it will help you envision if you might like that shade. I also like to see swatches of the lipstick, in addition to colour it gives me indications of textures (glossy vs. matte) and it can help narrow down competing shades if I’m considering multiple shades in the same product line.
2) Buy It and Try It, If you are new to red lipstick, I might ask you to consider applying it and pressing your lips together with a tissue to reduce the intensity or apply a sheer layer with a light hand or add a lip gloss on top. If you like the look and want to go bolder add another layer. Resist the urge to toss a new lipstick after the first try. Try it a second time, using a lighter hand or blotting if it was too intense the first time. Take a picture of yourself and look at the picture to see if you like it.

Here are the current red lipsticks in my collection.
  • Maybelline 385 Ruby For Me Color Sensational Made For All Lipstick
  • MAC 640 Red Rock Matte Lipstick
  • Tom Ford 35 Sonja Lip Color Sheer
  • YSL 401 Rouge Vinyle Vernis A Levres Vinyl Cream
  • YSL 11 Rouge Gouache Rouge Pur Couture
  • YSL 46 Rouge Fusain Rouge Pur Couture
  • NARS Cruella Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
  • NARS Mysterious Red Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
  • Revlon 250 Standout Colorburst Matte Balm
I hope it helps. To everyone, what’s your favorite lipstick?

58CC3966-D9A2-41CF-9795-23D69CFCE48A.png5A194157-29F0-471F-AC77-23062B6A3C61.pngE03920AD-1F81-4DB6-99BF-2E74456899C1.png91D13DCE-EAFB-4FA8-BA98-383076695D12.pngEABF46B3-12A3-4570-BE66-D812C0FD78CE.png4F1D74EF-B7E1-43C4-9C6C-8E2935EEDF73.png5B56AFD6-9D98-48FF-8C9B-9906E88A9277.png5769ED3F-E29F-46C1-AFD7-EFEF5222E6E7.png0970781A-2093-4551-A53D-B2C82D08E3FE.png

Last edited:

I have tried and rejected many red lipsticks over the years. I believe there is a shade of red for everyone.
1) Research
  • Colouring, Good old Google does not let me down, first I search for “how to choose a red lipstick for your skin tone.” This Allure article is pretty good, https://www.allure.com/gallery/the-best-red-lipsticks-for-your-skin-tone
  • Universal Reds, Second, there are “universal reds” that are supposed to look great on a number of skin tones. Glamour has a good article, I love the pictures with different models, https://www.glamour.com/story/best-red-lipstick
  • Brand/Price, Do you have favourite brands you want to stick with? I have lipsticks from across the price spectrum. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a good lipstick.
  • More research, reviews, swatches, If you google the name of the lipstick you’re interested in, there’s a high likelihood you’ll be able to find a review. Look for someone who has similar colouring to yours and it will help you envision if you might like that shade. I also like to see swatches of the lipstick, in addition to colour it gives me indications of textures (glossy vs. matte) and it can help narrow down competing shades if I’m considering multiple shades in the same product line.
2) Buy It and Try It, If you are new to red lipstick, I might ask you to consider applying it and pressing your lips together with a tissue to reduce the intensity or apply a sheer layer with a light hand or add a lip gloss on top. If you like the look and want to go bolder add another layer. Resist the urge to toss a new lipstick after the first try. Try it a second time, using a lighter hand or blotting if it was too intense the first time. Take a picture of yourself and look at the picture to see if you like it.

• NARS Cruella Matte Lip Pencil

View attachment 4977015View attachment 4977016View attachment 4977017View attachment 4977018View attachment 4977019View attachment 4977020View attachment 4977021View attachment 4977022View attachment 4977023
Thank-you for this wonderful post @More bags ! I´ve never risen above going to the drugstore and smearing my hands and arms until I liked a colour...

My favourite lipsticks are from the cheap section:

Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink 50 Voyager (matte dark red)
Max Factor Lipfinity 100 Wicked Espiegle (shiny dark red) - unfortunately discontinued!
Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink 65 Seductress (my perfect nude)

1) Research

• NARS Cruella Matte Lip Pencil

View attachment 4977015View attachment 4977016View attachment 4977017View attachment 4977018View attachment 4977019View attachment 4977020View attachment 4977021View attachment 4977022View attachment 4977023
I got a sheer red Chanel gloss I love and a Makeup For Ever red lip crayon that looks good and stays on. Undertone, intensity and darkness of shade are the most important....I am a redhead who has worn red lipstick since high school and if I can find a shade, there is for for everyone. I tend to only wear it to dress up or on a day I need to “fake it til I make it.” The rest of the time a dusty peachy pink is my go to...but anytime I find one, it gets discontinued so I currently don’t have one because mine ran out during Covid and I am not in a rush to replace it since masks.

Thank you :hugs:
The pandemic has really shone a light on how many unsung heroes there are in society. From teachers and medics, to grocery store clerks and zookeepers, and all the random people performing little acts of kindness daily. I've been reminded of how hard custodial staff work day in and day out, particularly those in medical settings. Thinking about it gives me all the feels:hbeat:

Just wanted you to know you're not the only one who has experienced bad Coach service. But it has never stopped me from buying because I really like the leather on their 1941 line. :shrugs:

Thanks! Good to know I'm not alone. It also hasn't stopped me from buying Coach - I just buy online instead of in that boutique.

Reading quickly this morning, but on the subject of SAs and luxury shopping, to tell @BowieFan1971 that in my experience, Hermes SAs love selling scarves. It gives them a chance to show off their scarf-tying techniques. So much more fun than selling the handbags...
The first time I got a gavroche, I was in the store for a standard 90 cm carre. It was the SA who conviced me to get a small one after I liked one of the designs, by showing me the possibilities of tying it. Another time she went out of the way to convince the SM to take down a gavroche in display. So fear not, and expect a nice experience.

My stats this month:

Bags in: 0
Bags out: 4

Blazers in: 1 (I had to replace my leather blazer that has been stranded in Madrid since this COVID thing started...)
Blazers out: a few, as we have been tidying the basement and found some old specimens laying around...

That is great to know about SA's! I can see it would be fun for them to show off scarf-tying!

Great stats! :tup:

I forgot this update earlier. My SA called to say her other buyer changed their mind on the glam slam camera bag and I can have it if I want it.
I said no again! This time it hurt me because she needs the commission. :hrmm:
I can't justify another bag in that size and shape, though. And to prove the point to myself, I pulled out some of my camera bags that are around the same size and took a picture to remind myself of how redundant another would be. I actually think I have another 2 on top of the ones pictured that classify as camera bags...
I have too many bags but this glam slam is entirely unlike my others and is such a lovely grey. The universe insists on tempting me! :annoyed:

View attachment 4976348

Exceptional camera bag collection! :loveeyes: :loveeyes: :loveeyes: Thanks for sharing a pic!

I love it! It’s a 70...perfect size cuz I can tie it on my bag if I get too warm. Found it in the first 5 minutes, but continued to look. Saw some beautiful scarves for another day and looked at bags too. Really like the Picotin. My SA, Cesar, was super nice without being phony and really generous and welcoming. I had a wonderful time!View attachment 4976573

So happy to hear that you had a wonderful time! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: That scarf! :love: It looks great on you! :tup: And I love that you can tie it to keep the image on it a 'secret', but still show the lovely colors.

January Update, Stats and Challenges
  • January Challenges
    • Take the tag off and wear it- least worn bags
      • Vintage Black Snakeskin Clutch - 2x
      • Longchamp Le Pliage - 2x
      • Chanel Red Lambskin Wallet on Chain - 2x
      • Chanel Black Patent Coco Shine Small Flap -2x
    • Date Night Bag- wore four date night bags
      • Vintage Black Snakeskin Clutch - 2x
      • Chanel Red Lambskin Wallet on Chain - 2x
      • Chanel Black Patent Coco Shine Small Flap - 2x
      • Chanel Black Caviar Wallet on Chain - 2x
    • Empty the Larder/pantry/freezer - moderate, did some, needs more work
  • Carried 17 bags / 17
  • Wore 16 scarves/shawls
  • Read 2 books
  • Cleaned 3 kitchen drawers and 3 kitchen cupboard shelves with vinegar and water, replaced shelf liner where needed; need to continue through the remaining drawers and cupboard shelves
  • Exited 67 items: household items, clothes, etc.
Jan 2021 Stats
Bags - 0 in, 0 out
SLGs - 0 in, 0 out

Amazing job on the challenges! :tup: Well done! :tup:

@BowieFan1971 I really love your question about iconic pieces in our wardrobe. It is so thought provoking. I really enjoy the additional view into our Pocket Friends’ personality, style and lifestyle.

Here’s a few of my favourites -
  • Shoes - ankle boots are a staple through fall and winter, Loeffler Randall Kassidy Kitten Heel Bootie in Gold Textile, Frye Ellen Deco Buckle Short
  • Bottoms - jeggings, dark grey and dark blue
  • Tops - cashmere sweaters, black and grey
  • Blazers - Banana Republic Leopard Print Car Coat, Etoile Isabel Marant Black Tweed Blazer, Eileen Fisher Tweed Long Jacket
  • Scarves - so many ways to add a finishing touch, so many styles, colours and looks, Hermes Le Jardin de la Maharani silk 90 cm, Hermes Jaguar Quetzal Chale Cashmere CSGM
  • edited to add: I prefer jewel tones, in scarves, bags and wardrobe colours (thanks @Cookiefiend )
In the excitement of gathering items for the pic I forgot my favourite bags. :giggle: My current favourite bags:
  • Hermes Etain Bolide 31
  • Chanel Small Burgundy Quilted Caviar Lizard Coco Handle and today’s bag
  • Chanel Red Reissue 226
  • Chanel Black Reissue 226
Other elements that are part of my daily armour,
  • Red lipstick
  • Diamond stud earrings or gold hoops
  • Necklace, gold and diamond pendant or white gold and diamond pendant
  • Bracelets, David Yurman Rose Gold Renaissance Bracelet and Bvlgari Rose Gold B.Zero1 Bangle Bracelet or White Gold Diamond Bangle stacked with Hermes leather bracelets
  • Rings, engagement ring, wedding band, channel set diamond anniversary ring, Birks White Gold and Diamond Snowflake Ring, pinky ring for my profession
  • Watch, Apple Watch
  • Glasses, I am blind without them!
View attachment 4976624View attachment 4976625
Very chic and elegant iconic pieces! Whenever I see your Bolide, I get a craving for one! :biggrin:

What a beautiful scarf! It looks great on you, and suits you perfectly. I also enjoyed reading your notes about the day's experience. Sounds like a great day!

@880, seeing how nicely you styled the shorter jacket (picture 3) over the longer white shirt is making me re-think getting rid of all my shorter jackets.:biggrin: I put away three in a give-away bin, but kept one behind to re-consider. Loved your styling pics!

@jblended, happy to hear your mom tested negative!:flowers:

@cowgirlsboots, I'm glad to hear that the pretty Dior bag is in very good condition, and that you are happy with it.

I'm running behind and now need to catch up on all the posts in this thread -- it does move fast!