The Hermès game : should I keep fighting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my experience in the Dallas Boutique.
I went in carrying a pre-loved B 35 and wanted to see an Evelyne.
I purchased the Evelyne that day, along with an Oran Sandal bag charm.
A couple of weeks later, I had the same SA (whom I absolutely LOVE :hugs:) and purchased a Garden Party, along with two twillies for the handles and an Orange H Shopping bag charm.
I let my SA know I was interested in purchasing a new Birkin and she said she would take note of this.

I also have to mention that I have always been treated like a VIP in this boutique. My SA has introduced me to all the employees, including the assistant manager and the store manager.
It's like I'm going home when I visit this boutique since I know everyone and it's all on a first name basis. :yahoo:
Along the way, I guess I formed a "bond" with my SA and later went back and purchased a scarf and looked at a Picotin 22.

Another week goes by and I receive a telephone call from my beloved SA saying she had my bag for me.
I went to the boutique and there was a Gold Togo B 35 with my name on it.

I've since purchased some more charms, twillies, along with a book, and a Calvi to send to my best friend and put in a mention that I really wanted a Kelly bag. :hbeat:
She said she would do what she could for me in that regard.

She texted me on Thursday saying she had a Rodeo bag charm waiting for me and some other things she thought I might like.
I also told her that I was interested in purchasing a Picotin 22 and wondered if she had one available in stock.
She said they had a large shipment coming on Tuesday and to be prepared.
So, I'm going to the boutique this Wednesday and see what she has in store for me.

Don't give up hope. :no: Develop a really good relationship with your SA and things just might appear before you know it. :yes:

What a beautiful and positive experience :loveeyes: ! So, having the perfect SA is definitely the key of everything :smile:.

The leather I want for my K28 is a sellier box leather (the patina of the box leather seems really gorgeous throughout the years, I feel I would still love the bag at 60). It's a shame the preloved market price for Hermès quota bags are so high, compared to the boutiques. The SPA after buying preloved is a good idea, thanks, I will take a closer look :smile:.
I don't think Box in Gold is in production. I have a Gold Box Calf bag from 1952 and it's also very different from today's "Gold" color, it is more like Noisette.
The good news though is that in general sellier box, as long as you are OK with noir, bleu marine, or a few other colors, is MUCH less expensive preloved than at boutique. I have seen sellier box K28 in past couple weeks, but it was black with PHW and it was nearly $13K before tax. Honestly, except for mini Kelly, I don't know that I would pay boutique price for a Box calf Kelly.
Good luck with your search!!

I would say yes you can travel and build profiles in different stores, but Quelle Fromage seems to be VIP and long-time client. If you don’t have a large budget and just buy here and there, I think it may be better to focus on one place.
She’s totally right about Hermes not being a bakery, haha.

I am a longtime client (at this point, about ten years, five or six in Europe) but I am no VIP :smile: It does take time to establish a relationship. The important thing is to love the brand and to be good to people.

At least your SA was truthful and said it would be a long time. It’s better than being strung along making purchases in the hopes of scoring your dream bag. I wanted a very coveted bag and was strung along for 18 months (including a major milestone birthday.) No bag. Then COVID hit.
i’ve accepted that I won’t get the bag. It’s OK. I have many others.

My advice to you is to play nice with the SA that you have the most rapport. Buy what you like and want. But keep an eye on the vintage resale market. Older bags are more finely made than newer ones.

Good luck on your hunt!

Omg! Which bag? Is it something you can’t get somewhere like Prive to source for you if a store won’t get it? The markup at price would probably be less that what you’d normally spend in 18 months. Or maybe the color you’re after is rested?

• Love
Reactions: keodi and RT1
OP, my Hermes strategy was to get my 1 or 2 everyday must haves from reseller (brand new, full set) so that I could thereafter play the H game without the anxiety and really enjoy the brand. Once you have your must haves, if there are others on your list you won’t be as anxious about which one you’ll get offered first and when etc and can enjoy the game, your SA and the brand

Wait, did you ask your SA for a K28 Sellier Box in Gold color with GHW? Because I don’t think that even exists (or at least haven’t seen any in my four years of following H) which would explain why they said it would be a very long wait...
Oh...That's exactly what I have asked (through the London wishlist system) ! I have seen one IRL in Noir at my local boutique in France and when I asked to my London SA the same (heritage box but gold color), he put it in his phone. Maybe he has just selected "heritage leather" rather than box and didn't explain to me...I will check after the lockdown.
But indeed, that would explain everything :amazed:. Thanks for noticing me.

Oh...That's exactly what I have asked (through the London wishlist system) ! I have seen one IRL in Noir at my local boutique in France and when I asked to my London SA the same (heritage box but gold color), he put it in his phone. Maybe he has just selected "heritage leather" rather than box and didn't explain to me...I will check after the lockdown.
Sellier Kelly in Fauve Barenia is out there in sizes 28 and 25. Quite different from Box but if I were your SA that's probably what I would look for.

Hi,

I hope you are all well ! I'm currently questioning my Hermès game methodology (because I’m starting to loose hope) and would be happy to read about your opinion or your own experience :smile:
(to the mods : if I’m out of the rules, do not hesitate to delete my post).

I fell in love with Hermès a while ago and bought four B35s in the preloved market during the 2010s. However, I have started to play the « Hermès game » in 2020 only (so I'm pretty new here!) mostly because I’m dreaming of a Kelly 28 in Gold with GHW. But this game is so hard to maintain :biggrin:. I have built relationship with three SAs, one in my hometown store in France and two in London, UK (I do live in London). They know about my wish. In maybe five months, I have bought two bags (Picotin 26 and Evelyne 29), sandals, scarves and tons of twillies. I also use to visit the website like 10 times a day to check if there’s something new (I have missed a cute Mini Lindy in Rouge de Coeur and GHW btw…). To conclude, I’m 100% focused on Hermès now and have even sold most of my other luxury brand pieces for financing this.

Unfortunately, for now, I haven’t been offered anything and one of my SAs told me it's gonna be very a long wait. However, I’ve read here and there (Instagram, Youtube, this forum…) that some newbie customers in Europe seem to get offered quota bag quite « easily » this year (with, for instance, just buying one scarve).

I feel I’m not playing the game the right way…What do you think ? Do you think I’m trying too hard and just need to cross my fingers, rather than buying, buying…?

I would also be happy to read your own (good and bad) experiences about the Hermès Game :smile:.

Many thanks and stay safe.
In my local hermes store, purchases of Picotin 26 and Evelyne 29 wouldn't count towards a quota bag (the kelly you are looking for) I will recommending buying jewelerry, jackets, watches etc. think hard to sell items. That usually does the trick

I spoke to my SA about going on the wishlist for a bag in the leather and Spec I wanted -I dont have the money to buy new-possibly never will but as my SA said 'why not put in wish-no harm done someone else would buy the bag if you're not ready'.
Turns out there isn't even an option available for those specs on the wishlist So I rather suspect that you may be in the same boat with your request .
By the way-I wanted a black Barenia 35 Birkin-didnt mind HW but preference would be brushed palladium.
I think your dream bag may be a unicorn so you may need to compromise

Actually I like the heritage leathers so yeah, a K28 in barenia would be perfection. I've seen someone with a K28 in Tadelakt Etoupe, she could have wear pyjamas, she still would look very classy :lol:

I think we may finally have realised why you waited so long for your dream Gold Kelly. Smooth Barenia Fauve 28 is likely the most possible option. Box Kelly Selliers are being produced in Black. I know Box is also available for bags such as the Constance in Black, Rouge H and maybe Bleu Marine. My Paris SA told me last week he hasn't seen smooth Barenia bags come in for the last few months, Barenia Faubourg is a different story. FSH offered me a Barenia Ebene B25 about 2 years ago so I know that’s around but Black Barenia is currently not being produced either. I shop in Paris, London and Asia, it's been for more than a decade so my SMs/ SAs know my preference for Heritage leathers. I wish you much luck and I hope London receives the right bag for you.

Last edited:
The leather I want for my K28 is a sellier box leather (the patina of the box leather seems really gorgeous throughout the years, I feel I would still love the bag at 60). It's a shame the preloved market price for Hermès quota bags are so high, compared to the boutiques. The SPA after buying preloved is a good idea, thanks, I will take a closer look :smile:.
Box is a Hermes heritage leather so not so easy to "score" (i hate that word too). But you can buy beautiful vintage Kellys in box and you can find them very nicely aged especially in many Japanese consignment stores. Good luck ~

May be unrelated.... I'm shopping for my wife. Had no idea that you couldn't simply place an order.... Although this does give us something to talk about as certain watches and even cars are the same. I love both but not the demographic that gets invited to spend money on these things. How does one get the relationship when there is no local boutique?

By a very reasonable price, I meant half price of retail as covid made the prices of Japanese resellers extremely attractive. This summer, I bought a 28 sellier box kelly phw, year 2002 or thereabouts, mint condition, for 6100 usd; a 30 black barenia birkin, phw and a 30 gold swift Birkin, phw, for about 7K each; and a 2018 BB kelly longue wallet phw, mint condition, for 4K usd. (Note: always arrange for authentication and allow for serendipity; I was flexible re color of the kelly — it’s a cool toned blue grey, close to blue abysse IRL). Note: natural barenia and vintage gold box (as @QuelleFromage mentioned) and gold swift are darker and closer to noisette in color.

@maxroxxherhandbags and other members have mentioned elsewhere that the cost of customs makes it more difficult for those in the UK and EU to buy from Japan, but it may still be less than retail and VAT. I always arrange for a non Hermes Spa and weather treatment ( H will not weather treat) to encourage even patina of all of my box, barenia and VN, but this is NOT common practice here. When I was a boutique customer years ago, my preloved, non H spa-Ed bags were always accepted for service as the structural integrity and surface of the leather was never compromised. This was before Claude retired from Madison. The boutique experience today seems very different and different rules apply.

Once you quench the desire for particular bags, you can then play the H game or not with true enjoyment and no pressure.

@Garfunkel, it’s difficult to start a relationship long distance without first traveling to a boutique and clicking with a particular SA (as per @RT1). If you have a particular bag in mind for your wife, there is a list of recommended resellers on this forum (pls authenticate as per recommendations)
2EB79CD7-5706-4EFF-9C2F-4C65C9F2F177.jpeg

Last edited:
By a very reasonable price, I meant half price of retail as covid made the prices of Japanese resellers extremely attractive. This summer, I bought a 28 sellier box kelly phw, year 2002 or thereabouts, mint condition, for 6100 usd; a 30 black barenia birkin, phw and a 30 gold swift Birkin, phw, for about 7K each; and a 2018 BB kelly longue wallet phw, mint condition, for 4K usd. (Note: always arrange for authentication and allow for serendipity; I was flexible re color of the kelly — it’s a cool toned blue grey, close to blue abysse IRL). Note: natural barenia and vintage gold box (as @QuelleFromage mentioned) and gold swift are darker and closer to noisette in color.

@maxroxxherhandbags and other members have mentioned elsewhere that the cost of customs makes it more difficult for those in the UK and EU to buy from Japan, but it may still be less than retail and VAT. I always arrange for a non Hermes Spa and weather treatment ( H will not weather treat) to encourage even patina of all of my box, barenia and VN, but this is NOT common practice here. When I was a boutique customer years ago, my preloved, non H spa-Ed bags were always accepted for service as the structural integrity and surface of the leather was never compromised. This was before Claude retired from Madison. The boutique experience today seems very different and different rules apply.

Once you quench the desire for particular bags, you can then play the H game or not with true enjoyment and no pressure.

@Garfunkel, it’s difficult to start a relationship long distance without first traveling to a boutique and clicking with a particular SA (as per @RT1). If you have a particular bag in mind for your wife, there is a list of recommended resellers on this forum (pls authenticate as per recommendations)
View attachment 4908412

Wow, such fabulous finds and great advice. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.