The Hermès game : should I keep fighting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By a very reasonable price, I meant half price of retail as covid made the prices of Japanese resellers extremely attractive. This summer, I bought a 28 sellier box kelly phw, year 2002 or thereabouts, mint condition, for 6100 usd; a 30 black barenia birkin, phw and a 30 gold swift Birkin, phw, for about 7K each; and a 2018 BB kelly longue wallet phw, mint condition, for 4K usd. (Note: always arrange for authentication and allow for serendipity; I was flexible re color of the kelly — it’s a cool toned blue grey, close to blue abysse IRL). Note: natural barenia and vintage gold box (as @QuelleFromage mentioned) and gold swift are darker and closer to noisette in color.

@maxroxxherhandbags and other members have mentioned elsewhere that the cost of customs makes it more difficult for those in the UK and EU to buy from Japan, but it may still be less than retail and VAT. I always arrange for a non Hermes Spa and weather treatment ( H will not weather treat) to encourage even patina of all of my box, barenia and VN, but this is NOT common practice here. When I was a boutique customer years ago, my preloved, non H spa-Ed bags were always accepted for service as the structural integrity and surface of the leather was never compromised. This was before Claude retired from Madison. The boutique experience today seems very different and different rules apply.

Once you quench the desire for particular bags, you can then play the H game or not with true enjoyment and no pressure.

@Garfunkel, it’s difficult to start a relationship long distance without first traveling to a boutique and clicking with a particular SA (as per @RT1). If you have a particular bag in mind for your wife, there is a list of recommended resellers on this forum (pls authenticate as per recommendations)
View attachment 4908412
Are you able to share which reseller you used?

Are you able to share which reseller you used?
Wide variety of Asian resellers (most on the recommended reseller list on TPF and/or formerly rakuten (a Japanese marketplace). ( I find my future purchases by doing an eBay search and then narrowing down my choices with advice from more knowledgeable sources). Some of my favorite ebay resellers are Brandoff, brand jfa, let-trade, but the summertime purchases 28 kelly and the 30 swift came from Japanese resellers that I had never heard of ( you should check out the TPF discuss reseller thread) This years 30 Barenia Birkin in need of restoration ( I send mine to @docride), came from a private seller that another tpfer helped me find.
I recently picked up a 32 purple box kelly, phw, and a 30 vache liegee birkin ( in need of handle lightening) for about 5K plus each. If you are fine with investing in aftermarket work there are lots of deals. you do have to add in customs fees and state sales tax ( if you are in the US) plus significant aftermarket restoration ( including professional color correction, handle lightening, etc etc). I love vintage for it’s price point; it’s workmanship; use of discontinued leathers, colors, materials (heritage leathers and barenia crinoline esp.) and the virtues of sustainable consumption. I love the idea of giving new life to an otherwise unwanted bag even when I can afford to buy NIB. And I love the idea of art project bags that I can share or give to my mom, aunts and cousins.
of course, it goes without saying, pls authenticate before purchase, and make sure that the bag is structurally sound. Apologies for OT and length of post :smile:

Last edited:
Omg! Which bag? Is it something you can’t get somewhere like Prive to source for you if a store won’t get it? The markup at price would probably be less that what you’d normally spend in 18 months. Or maybe the color you’re after is rested?
Hi I would like to ask if Prive Porter is legit? Are their bags brand new and authentic?

Reactions: Culoucou
I am one of the lucky ones who got an offer on my very first trip to a store with no buying history. I purchased a pair of sandals at another location previously only because I loved them and didn't even have them on. I carried my Dior Lady with me while visiting my best friend's local store. I struck up a terrific rapport with an SA by chance. She and I connected immediately and just clicked. I think we both knew that we would be instant friends. There was no one else in the store so we chatted for a very long time while my best friend dealt with a repair issue. After a while she flat out asked me what my dream bag was and I told her. Then she asked what I would say if she could make my dreams come true! It was thrilling and a bit scary, honestly! I wasn't ready for it lol. I think my luck of getting the offer was due to our genuine connection and she knew I wasn't playing any games.
My advice is this: If you truly love the pieces you are buying and don't mind waiting while happily growing your collection, then stay the course. If you feel taken advantage of in any way, then buy preloved. The relationship and the "game" needs to be good for you, too.

Last edited:
I am one of the lucky ones who got an offer on my very first trip to a store with no buying history.

I struck up a terrific rapport with an SA by chance. She and I connected immediately and just clicked. I think we both knew that we would be instant friends.

That’s lovely!! Aside from the bag offer that sort of treatment as a first time buyer even at Chanel or other luxury brands (H is the cream of the crop yes but for sake of comparison) is rarely heard of. I’m happy you had such a fantastic and genuine experience. Do you mind sharing what your dream bag was/is? :amuse:

Reactions: Culoucou and img
That’s lovely!! Aside from the bag offer that sort of treatment as a first time buyer even at Chanel or other luxury brands (H is the cream of the crop yes but for sake of comparison) is rarely heard of. I’m happy you had such a fantastic and genuine experience. Do you mind sharing what your dream bag was/is? :amuse:
B30 in orange. My color is Feu. I love it! Personally I've had terrific experiences at LV but only so-so at Chanel. I love my LV SA because we've been together for a very long time, but my connection to my SA at H was immediate and wonderful. We have become very friendly.

• Love
Reactions: 880
Status
Not open for further replies.