Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

I change my mind every day :biggrin:

Not ideal, but I like a bit of pomp and circumstance occasionally. Plus, the thought of the horror that could replace it often sounds worse.

If I was a US citizen though, I would be incensed H&M are given media time/space to spout crap at regular (make that near-constant) as though their GB-given status counted there more than any other average American.

As an American, I see them as another set of random celebrities that have a platform just because they're XYZ trait usually having nothing to do with real achievement. :/ Incensed is not the right word when you see it all the time. I don't even blink.

Jan Moir on Charles: Patch-Up Prince Charles isn't a paragon of thrift
At the age of 71 the heir to the throne is in a fashion magazine actually talking about fashion. His clothes. His wardrobe. What he wears and how he wears it.
Move over Meghan
On the subject of royal fashion warrants ... Decided I needed a barn style coat - that is what Ralph Lauren would call it, AKA Barbour coat. Barbour is a UK brand that has three warrants , QEII, PC and PP. Photos of the 3 of them in Barbour are all over the internet

Barbour coats are very nice casual jackets for mucking out the stables, grouse hunting or gardening but they retail for about $500 and up
They are (mostly) dry clean only, made of waxed cotton exterior - you brush off the mud, but don't wash it EVER whereas I would toss Ralph Laurens in the wash
Totally different paradigm for coat maintenance, harkens back to the 1930s - see Gosford Park - when your valet brushed off your clothes from the days hunt

Some people - these days - would consider a non-washable muck-about coat is a contradiction in terms

Anderson & Sheppard (sp?) also has a royal warrant from PC - Savile Row tailor where a bespoke pair of trousers is about 2000 POUNDS - not dollars - the trou are absolutely TDF though

So, royal fashion and warrants correspond to a very interesting niche in the LUXURY goods market - we are not talking M&S clothing - we are talking items in the Birkin/Kelly stratosphere of fashion - you will have B or K forever, but, acquisition cost is not for everyone

@marietouchet Excellent observations.
This is exactly where the criticisms of PC, et al. start and stop. He is an entitled prince, never had a real job, all costs for everything are paid by the taxpayer. That means housing (multiple), utilities, staff, clothing, travel, cars (!and they do have some guzzlers - still putts putt in the rolls), right down to his personal items — all paid for and shopped for by someone else. Sure sure he has his duchy, his gardening, his painting, etc. Again, very little of his lifestyle reflects the lifestyle of his subjects. Very little. Are PChas, H&M really the only messengers the UK has? He may be a nice guy, I have no way to know that, but there is a huge gap between his lectures and his life. That’s true for H&M and all the other billionaires. One word - entitled. That is why no one paid close attention in the 60/70s to his lectures and why he is not a great choice now. Same for H&M. Entitled people are hypocrites. Wearing sloppy clothes (H&M) makes them laughable. They really ought to let the highly educated professionals do the talking.

This article is from 2015, perhaps other things have been added- https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/51922/11-things-prince-charles-does-his-time

On the subject of royal fashion warrants ... Decided I needed a barn style coat - that is what Ralph Lauren would call it, AKA Barbour coat. Barbour is a UK brand that has three warrants , QEII, PC and PP. Photos of the 3 of them in Barbour are all over the internet

Barbour coats are very nice casual jackets for mucking out the stables, grouse hunting or gardening but they retail for about $500 and up
They are (mostly) dry clean only, made of waxed cotton exterior - you brush off the mud, but don't wash it EVER whereas I would toss Ralph Laurens in the wash
Totally different paradigm for coat maintenance, harkens back to the 1930s - see Gosford Park - when your valet brushed off your clothes from the days hunt

Some people - these days - would consider a non-washable muck-about coat is a contradiction in terms

Anderson & Sheppard (sp?) also has a royal warrant from PC - Savile Row tailor where a bespoke pair of trousers is about 2000 POUNDS - not dollars - the trou are absolutely TDF though

So, royal fashion and warrants correspond to a very interesting niche in the LUXURY goods market - we are not talking M&S clothing - we are talking items in the Birkin/Kelly stratosphere of fashion - you will have B or K forever, but, acquisition cost is not for everyone

I have 2 Barbour coats from the 80's, still in great condition. A few years ago I sent them both to be rewaxed, they came back as good as new!

Note to the Grifters: So much for being "woke." Seems more like people "woke up" to the fact you are a couple of fatuous twits with little to offer.

In today's Daily Mail:

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'aren't selling when on the cover of magazines, despite beautiful pictures' amid popularity plummet, Majesty editor-in-chief claims
  • Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'aren't selling when on the cover of magazines'
  • Majesty editor-in-chief Ingrid Seward remarked on Royally Obsessed podcast
  • The royal biographer said it came amid the couple's popularity plummeting

Is climate change and the need for the world to find better options really that political though?

I completely understand that implementation is rift with difficulty (how do we re-train, how do we bring up countries who rely upon or have not benefited from the use of polluting materials and systems for as long as others have etc). But is it really controversial to say, if we keep going as we are, we are going to be overrun by garbage and pollution?

Or is this just an issue of walk the walk before talking the talk?

Is climate change and the need for the world to find better options really that political though?

I completely understand that implementation is rift with difficulty (how do we re-train, how do we bring up countries who rely upon or have not benefited from the use of polluting materials and systems for as long as others have etc). But is it really controversial to say, if we keep going as we are, we are going to be overrun by garbage and pollution?

Perhaps this is an issue for a different forum IMHO. I read these forums to get away from the daily bombardment of 'issues'.

No, it is not political, IMO. These 3 are the wrong messengers. They do not ‘walk their talk’. As with many billionaires these days, it is too much holier-thou and not enough ‘put their money where their mouth is‘. If they want us to support theit causes, they ought to do more than show up in a Rolls and wave.

ETA: oops. Did not see your comment, @bellecate. Let me know if I should delete my comments. I view this topic the same as all the others. The grifters continue to prove their hypocrisy, their entitlement, etc. Same stuff on every aspect of their lives. IMO.

musings ...
feeling bad I almost ever contribute here to the consumerism threads anymore - not buying stuff in 2021
But I have noticed something REALLY GOOD ...
If we are NOT talking about everyone's bag purchases, we are sooooooooo much more well behaved ....
Thanks to all on this thread , in the days of COVID, I appreciate your good humour, wit - you guys make me laugh !!! Thanks
HA!! .. same here, really haven't bought anything worth noting and don't plan to in 2021! One reason, is that I haven't been working for some time (Corporate America simply does not want an older "experienced" female, they want young, male & cheap). As such, no need to buy "work" clothing .. and the pandemic really kind of brought to light that I have way too much to begin with and it is time to start paring down. I've been selling quite a bit of stuff (most consignment, some eBay) and it feels good! What has surprised me, is that there are DEFINITELY buyers are out there; they KNOW it's a buyer's market right now .. so if you have something that's been sitting in your closet but you don't use and don't really "love" anymore, think about selling it! However, be prepared .. unfortunately, things are selling for a lot less, so it's very unlikely that you will get close to retail and especially over retail. But, as I always say, if it's not being used and not as 'loved', it's money in the (that should be) in the Bank!