What is Wrong with Kelly Handles lately !

I didn't notice the round arch until this thread I saw today. I went back to pictures I have taken from my K28 sellier I myself got from the store (so authenticity isn't a question) earlier in March before the lockdown and it is definitely more round. See my bag.View attachment 4781379

your bag look amazing :nuts: the handle arch is round but beautiful . And it's not that round really . The other pictures I posted look way worse .

And if you look at the other thread on bags offered, some of the Kelly bags also have more rounded handles
yes this is what I am talking about . A Kelly handle is iconic and I don't like how it looks on some bags . If hermes doesn't consider this as a defect what should we do ? just inspect your bags closely ? I don't want to judge hermes craftsmanship but ...

My etain k28 purchased in nov 2018 has this problem too. The handle is not symmetrical and “leans” to one side. It bothers me but not enough to reject the bag.

As long as you are happy with the bag :heart: enjoy it . I just wanted to spot the light on this matter and look for an explanation or an answer . When spotting a Kelly fake, it's handle is an indicator . But now it might be hard to do so . And some reputable resellers might get some comments that a bag they are selling is not authentic just because it came like this fresh from store .

I wonder if those handles can be corrected over time? The round part doesn’t bother me as much as they’re asymmetrical. I wonder if this is a “signature” of a certain or group of artisans.

Reactions: aisham
I dont believe its a defect. I have one birkin I bought recently from the store, it was too tightly packaged (Shrink wrapped when brought out from the back) the handles are like pressed against the inside of the box hence more curviness

Reactions: aisham
I think we all have to remember that these are handmade bags.
They are made by an artisan rather than cookie cutter factory style so there WILL be variations between bags and some details like rounded or more arched handles probably depend very much upon the eye of the individual craftsman and whether he veers towards the aesthetic of one sort of handle over the other.
I'm ashamed to admit that if I was in a position to purchase a new K or B from the store I wouldn't scrutinise that kind of detail I'd worry more about the colour or the leather of the bag being right.
I would also assume (I say assume as not having owned a new Hermes top handle bag I dont actually know this as fact) that carrying things in the bag would make the handle become slightly more arched over time?
I think its a matter of personal taste and I do agree that the more arched rather than round handle does look somehow more chic but then again If I saw a new Kelly in the shop and the handle was round it wouldn't bother me greatly.
With a SO bag perhaps one could ask to have the handle re-made if it really did jar with you visually?

And to add that if you are offered a bag in the leather, color, and hardware you like, it's hard to say no or else you won't know how much longer you have to wait. I was offered a B30 in togo noir ghw and although I prefer less long veins on the leather, I got it as my SA told me she didn't know how long the wait will be for a next one ......

I wonder if all these rounder handles were made by the same artisan. Would be interesting to compare the artisan stamp as some may install the handle in a different manner than another. While these are not cookie cutter bags, they should have some form of standard. This is not new though if you notice older vintage Kellys have different slope on the sides. Some are more 'A' line while others are straighter. No one ever would critique Hermes quality when customer gets it directly from the store and sometimes sucks it up since they feel lucky to be even offered for the bag but if it shows up in a reseller market, the authenticity of the bag comes into question immediately.

Well said, chkpfbeliever. I was thinking exactly that about my K28 Sellier bought from the store - the slopes on the sides are a bit too straight to my liking but since I was offered one, I got it.

Reactions: adb
It would be interesting if the Artisan marks on those bags could be compared to see if perhaps one (or more) person has produced several of them. If a person had depth perception problems with their vision it might skew the shape to one side. And would likely be repeated as bags are sewn. Just a random thought......

I have another question about my Ks handle. So I managed to damage the handle on my Epsom K and it had to be replaced in Paris. Got my K back and noticed that it‘s very difficult to attach the strap because the metal parts where you attach the hooks are lying flat on the leather and are not standing up like on my other Ks. I need to push them up to attach the strap. And the hooks on the strap will definitely leave dents on the leather. Anyone else has this problem? Is this a defect?
Here are 2 comparison pics.
New handle:
7853DFA4-4E3B-420A-8842-FF86459A3ACD.jpeg
Old handle when I first got my K:
4D9CFE3F-4747-48DF-A31C-C94B3F116696.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Joyceshing
I have another question about my Ks handle. So I managed to damage the handle on my Epsom K and it had to be replaced in Paris. Got my K back and noticed that it‘s very difficult to attach the strap because the metal parts where you attach the hooks are lying flat on the leather and are not standing up like on my other Ks. I need to push them up to attach the strap. And the hooks on the strap will definitely leave dents on the leather. Anyone else has this problem? Is this a defect?
Here are 2 comparison pics.
New handle:
View attachment 4782571
Old handle when I first got my K:
View attachment 4782572
I am not sure . I trust Luxlexicon and evclaireatelier . But I don't know if the pictures I posted are of authentic bags or not and that was why I didn't post pictures in the first post . I am not questioning the authenticity of the bag I saw , because my friend got offered a bag just like them . I am afraid more bags will be offered just like that . And what if an SO arrive , it has a handle like this. Am I the only one that is bothered by this ? :lol:
OK, I never really paid much attention to the shape as being more "round" but I see what you mean now. Personally I don't mind it being a bit round and I am more troubled by the asymmetrical handles. But given the fact that these are hand made and the Kelly handle is the most difficult part of the bag, it will inevitably have some variations.

@xxDxx I absolutely would not accept the flat D rings, which I have seen on many bags like yours. You can't attach the strap easily on a flat D ring. I would send it back and ask it to be redone.