What is Wrong with Kelly Handles lately !

OK, I never really paid much attention to the shape as being more "round" but I see what you mean now. Personally I don't mind it being a bit round and I am more troubled by the asymmetrical handles. But given the fact that these are hand made and the Kelly handle is the most difficult part of the bag, it will inevitably have some variations.

@xxDxx I absolutely would not accept the flat D rings, which I have seen on many bags like yours. You can't attach the strap easily on a flat D ring. I would send it back and ask it to be redone.
Thank you for your opinion. I will bring the bag back to the store and will see what they say. It‘s a little frustrating because they already exchanged the handle twice. There was a problem with the first exchanged handle and now again!

Thank you for your opinion. I will bring the bag back to the store and will see what they say. It‘s a little frustrating because they already exchanged the handle twice. There was a problem with the first exchanged handle and now again!
Send them a photo of your bag's original handle, the 2nd one in your post. Tell them that you want it to look at that.

I have another question about my Ks handle. So I managed to damage the handle on my Epsom K and it had to be replaced in Paris. Got my K back and noticed that it‘s very difficult to attach the strap because the metal parts where you attach the hooks are lying flat on the leather and are not standing up like on my other Ks. I need to push them up to attach the strap. And the hooks on the strap will definitely leave dents on the leather. Anyone else has this problem? Is this a defect?
Here are 2 comparison pics.
New handle:
View attachment 4782571
Old handle when I first got my K:
View attachment 4782572
Now this would definitely bother me.

Reactions: xxDxx
I wonder if the size impacts the handle as well. My k35 has a very extremely circular handle :biggrin:

I also think that in order to make a handle not circular, it will have to take up more vertical space. For a k35, the handle already takes up a lot of space and bumps into my forearm a lot when I shoulder carry.

I have another question about my Ks handle. So I managed to damage the handle on my Epsom K and it had to be replaced in Paris. Got my K back and noticed that it‘s very difficult to attach the strap because the metal parts where you attach the hooks are lying flat on the leather and are not standing up like on my other Ks. I need to push them up to attach the strap. And the hooks on the strap will definitely leave dents on the leather. Anyone else has this problem? Is this a defect?
New handle:
View attachment 4782571
View attachment 4782572
This is not acceptable and should be redone. You wonder why no one will do QC on this before leaving H and considering the repair cost, it should not turn out like this.

New handle:
View attachment 4782571
View attachment 4782572
The D rings on your new handle are unacceptable. What is going on over at Hermes?

New handle:
View attachment 4782571
View attachment 4782572

:wtf:That should have never been given to you back like that. That would bug the heck out of me. Im sure they will fix it but why oh why do you even have to ask them to fix it in the first place. Even if you sent the bag in for a complete overhaul with 20 things needing to be done, this oversight would still not be acceptable. But it seems like you sent it in primarily for handle repair and they didn’t catch that flaw? :tdown: Major quality control fail here.

Last edited:
:wtf:That should have never been given to you back like that. That would bug the heck out of me. Im sure they will fix it but why oh why do you even have to ask them to fix it in the first place. Even if you sent the bag in for a complete overhaul with 20 things needing to be done, this oversight would still not be acceptable. But it seems like you sent it in primarily for handle repair and they didn’t catch that flaw? :tdown: Major quality control fail here.
Thank you all! The background story: The first time it was sent to Paris because I somehow scratched the handle and wanted it to be repaired. They said that it can‘t be repaired (I think because of the Epsom leather) and they need to replace it with a new one. The bag came back after 7 months but the new handle had a flaw so they exchanged it again. It took 6 weeks and came back like this with the flat D rings! This means it needs to be sent back a third!! time. So frustrating!

I will never cease to be amazed by the quality! the grande dame is stunning!
:heart: She's a classic. I rarely carry her - maybe to more "indie" style events - but I found her for a more than fair price (she had a pen mark which I was able to remove) and yes, the quality is impeccable. I have NOT spa'd that bag and I do not believe she was ever refurbished in any way.

• Love
Reactions: keodi and 880
The flat d ring would bother me bc I would worry it will cause wear on the leather. The second Time the handle was redone almost looks a bit too big for the bag. (I’m not an expert though, pls don’t shoot me) perhaos the way it was photographed. And, when I first started on TPF, i forget now if it was 2008 or so, there was definitely a group of TPFers who preferred vintage kelly bags from a certain decade. . . And, no I don’t remember which decade. . . re the sloping sides like an A, I found that this is most pronounced with smaller kelly bags 28, being the largest and the 32s and up seem more boxy/briefcase. This doesn’t seem to be the case with vintage exotic skinned bags that also seem to be a bit less deep (skinnier;) JMO. The reason to have a kelly (versus a birkin) is to have the graceful sloping sides (especially obvious in sharp sellier lines) and smooth arched handle. . .

Reactions: xxDxx