Louis Vuitton Price Increase Master Thread

Thank you for posting about the price increase. As I haven't been purchasing as many bags this year as I did last year, I have not been keeping up with much news about releases, price increases, etc. I woke up at 3:00am EST the day of the price change, found this thread and immediately ordered the Speedy Bandouliere 25 in Damier Ebene that I've had on my wishlist for the past year (before the price change went into effect on the US website). I'd been holding out on getting it in hopes of my SA finding one made in France, and just not being in a rush to get it in general. I'm still crossing my fingers that the one I get is made in France, but at this point, I care more that I got it before the price increase.
Same dilemma here!!!

I hope the resale market crashes. Some people are really beyond reason. See attached picture - someone bought a PSM in Singapore just to resell is at a profit of around 15%.

Makes my eyes roll.

Beyond reason? Are you aware that a re-sellers pays 15% or MORE in fees to sell a bag on most sites. If the item is a rare and collectible item, I can understand someone wanting to get most of their purchase price back on a newly purchased, never used, or extremely sought after bag. In the US, most states charge close to 10% sales tax, so a 15% markup to cover seller fees, would still result in a 10% loss for sales tax.

True collectors or serious bag lovers look for bags from re-sellers to complete their collection or find a unicorn bag that may have gotten away. Not everyone is willing to pay above retail for a sold out item, but there ARE many people out there who are willing to do so. Have you seen the pricing of the Watercolor, Cerises, Moca/Murakami, Monogramouflage line? LV has had some pretty great collections that are very difficult to find at this point in time. Does this make the Monogramouflage line more valuable? Only a willing buyer can decide. Any item, be it a bag, a car, a piece of art,, or a house on beachfront property is worth exactly what another person is willing to pay for it! That is why we have bidding wars on houses in America! Be it buying OR selling .... commodities make the world go round!

73305310_1000500226971396_2608155290343833600_n.jpg 74345568_750717122009031_877986770950553600_n.jpg
Supposedly the Speedy, Alma and Neverfull are going up tomorrow according to FoxyLV’s Instagram.

I can unfortunately confirm this price increase ! :sad: There has been two price increases for the ALMA BB this year. In 2018, I purchased mine for $1640. A few months ago it was $1740 and now its $1840. That's a 13.4.% increase. It's been unavailable to purchase online in Australia for months now. I haven't seen it in store for a while either. :sad:

Reactions: Sparklemum88
Beyond reason? Are you aware that a re-sellers pays 15% or MORE in fees to sell a bag on most sites. If the item is a rare and collectible item, I can understand someone wanting to get most of their purchase price back on a newly purchased, never used, or extremely sought after bag. In the US, most states charge close to 10% sales tax, so a 15% markup to cover seller fees, would still result in a 10% loss for sales tax.

True collectors or serious bag lovers look for bags from re-sellers to complete their collection or find a unicorn bag that may have gotten away. Not everyone is willing to pay above retail for a sold out item, but there ARE many people out there who are willing to do so. Have you seen the pricing of the Watercolor, Cerises, Moca/Murakami, Monogramouflage line? LV has had some pretty great collections that are very difficult to find at this point in time. Does this make the Monogramouflage line more valuable? Only a willing buyer can decide. Any item, be it a bag, a car, a piece of art,, or a house on beachfront property is worth exactly what another person is willing to pay for it! That is why we have bidding wars on houses in America! Be it buying OR selling .... commodities make the world go round!
I agree. I still buy many of my bags preloved and most of them have been discontinued or limited editions that I missed or wasn’t interested in until recently. Also, I prefer to buy bags that have been used because I prefer a little patina on my bags and don’t want my LV’s to look brand spanking new. Not everyone who uses the resale market is looking to make a quick buck (and I question how often some of those “bag scalpers” are successful in making a reasonable profit after fees), and not everyone is willing to pay those exorbitant prices. Sure, I’d love to own a Cerises Speedy or a Cherry Blossom Retro but I’m not willing to pay the prices people want for them.

Agree that when it's a collectible piece, prices over retail can be justifiable because they are COLLECTIBLES. But not when the bag is STILL available and STILL obtainable - and they do appear on the site or even in stores. The people who are reselling them are simply cashing in on an opportunity, brought about by LV's inability to fulfil the demand.

I rather the pieces go to people who truly value them and not because they represent an opportunity for profiteering. Unless you all would love the stocks being snapped up by resellers and then we have to buy them at above retail prices ?

View attachment 4575014 View attachment 4575015

I can unfortunately confirm this price increase ! :sad: There has been two price increases for the ALMA BB this year. In 2018, I purchased mine for $1640. A few months ago it was $1740 and now its $1840. That's a 13.4.% increase. It's been unavailable to purchase online in Australia for months now. I haven't seen it in store for a while either. :sad:

I have not seen an Alma BB mono appear as in stock once in the last 6 months, and I check everyday. I bought a Damier one back in 2018 also for $1640. I wish I could go back in time and buy them both because they did have them in stock that day but now at nearly $2000 I’ll pass and put that money towards something else.

Reactions: lightwithin18
it's a joke. It's called the scam bag because the pieces separately cost less than buying the multipochette.

How so? In the US, pochette is $525, mini pochette is $310, round coin purse is $260, strap is $495....adding these up and subtracting from the price of MP($1640), that makes the gold chain $50.

not only is it more than worth it; one needs to account for the fact that both pouchettes are larger in size (mini actually fits my 7 plus phone) which is an added plus and would cost a few dollars more; besides the fact that the round coin purse has a hook which can be used as a bag charm which would also cost more. :biggrin:

Agree that when it's a collectible piece, prices over retail can be justifiable because they are COLLECTIBLES. But not when the bag is STILL available and STILL obtainable - and they do appear on the site or even in stores. The people who are reselling them are simply cashing in on an opportunity, brought about by LV's inability to fulfil the demand.

I rather the pieces go to people who truly value them and not because they represent an opportunity for profiteering. Unless you all would love the stocks being snapped up by resellers and then we have to buy them at above retail prices ?

I personally do not believe that most re-sellers snap up stock to resell above retails prices. At least not at 15%. Re-selling is A LOT of work and huge hassle in the big scheme of things. In addition to having already paid for the item, most sellers take a LOSS with a sale of taxes and fees.

Re-selling an item such as a designer handbag means that the purchased item has been paid for. The seller must take photos and list the item on one or more resale sites. This is very tedious and time consuming. Once the item sells, they pay fees and then spend more time packing and shipping with insurance, which is quite costly. Sellers then wonder if the buyer will have have buyers remorse, complain about manufacturing issues, alignment or a plethora of other details a seller is not necessarily responsible for. Buyers often try to negotiate partial refunds or ask to return an item after "using/renting" it for a week. Returns are very costly for sellers, often resulting in up to an additional $100 loss.

The truth is, clients who maintain good relationships with their CSA and have an excessive purchase history with LV are often OFFERED rare/hard to find items the minute they arrive in the store. So although these items may STILL be obtainable, they are often sold to preferred clients first. LV SA's simply send a text to their preferred customer list and the bag will sell, resulting in very little time/effort on the part of the CSA. Preferred customer status = Buy More = Offered More. These clients often make purchases and decide something doesn't quite work for them. It may be capacity, organization, straps length, magnetic closure, interior fabric, etc. At this point, a return can be offensive to the CSA. In addition, LV keeps a very close eye and precise records on returns. Too many returns and you can be banned. Many people find that reselling is easier than damaging the relationship with their CSA or being watched for excessive returns.

I personally am grateful for re-sellers. I have found many rare and limited edition items in brand new condition through re-sellers. I am happy to have these pieces in my collection and grateful there was a way to obtain them. All I'm saying is don't be so quick to judge. If something isn't for you, it's OK for you to pass on it, but there may be someone else out there that is most grateful to have found it!

Last edited:
I personally do not believe that most re-sellers snap up stock to resell above retails prices. At least not at 15%. Re-selling is A LOT of work and huge hassle in the big scheme of things. In addition to having already paid for the item, most sellers take a LOSS with a sale of taxes and fees.

Re-selling an item such as a designer handbag means that the purchased item has been paid for. The seller must take photos and list the item on one or more resale sites. This is very tedious and time consuming. Once the item sells, they pay fees and then spend more time packing and shipping with insurance, which is quite costly. Sellers then wonder if the buyer will have have buyers remorse, complain about manufacturing issues, alignment or a plethora of other details a seller is not necessarily responsible for. Buyers often try to negotiate partial refunds or ask to return an item after "using/renting" it for a week. Returns are very costly for sellers, often resulting in up to an additional $100 loss.

The truth is, clients who maintain good relationships with their CSA and have an excessive purchase history with LV are often OFFERED rare/hard to find items the minute they arrive in the store. So although these items may STILL be obtainable, they are often sold to preferred clients first. LV SA's simply send a text to their preferred customer list and the bag will sell, resulting in very little time/effort on the part of the CSA. Preferred customer status = Buy More = Offered More. These clients often make purchases and decide something doesn't quite work for them. It may be capacity, organization, straps length, magnetic closure, interior fabric, etc. At this point, a return can be offensive to the CSA. In addition, LV keeps a very close eye and precise records on returns. Too many returns and you can be banned. Many people find that reselling is easier than damaging the relationship with their CSA or being watched for excessive returns.

I personally am grateful for re-sellers. I have found many rare and limited edition items in brand new condition through re-sellers. I am happy to have these pieces in my collection and grateful there was a way to obtain them. All I'm saying is don't be so quick to judge. If something isn't for you, it's OK for you to pass on it, but there may be someone else out there that is most grateful to have found it!

Are you serious??!! Look at previous collections such as Supreme or Vetements where the items were on eBay in a flash and some at nearly a 100% uplift! Other brands experience this same phenomena for hard to get pieces, the demand is artificially increased by those that have no intention on keeping the item. The sad things is as long as there are people willing to cough up the ridiculous reseller prices the practice will continue. Personally I refuse to pay above retail for anything and if I don’t get lucky enough to find that hard to get piece from the store for the RRP then it wasn’t meant to be and I move on.

Reactions: ambrose1985
I have a question why is this new bag called the scam bag ? Because it’s just old pieces thrown together as a crossbody ? I actually like it but not for FP prices and it seems to be unavailable anyway so oh well
yes-it's a nickname

edit-I see someone explained it better than me. And I think some of us old-timers remember paying WAY less for those individual pieces, so sold altogether it seemed like a scam.

Last edited: