Trend? .. phasing out the City Style?

Unpopular opinion: I think the city bag is making a low-key comeback.

I've yet to buy anything from Balenciaga and the small / mini (still deciding) metallic edge style is on my radar for the first time ever. Something about it just seems edgy yet timeless to me, and I love that it can be a casual everyday bag but still dressed up for evenings/weekends. I wasn't even looking for that bag and spotted it last year at my local Nordstrom, held it, snapped a photo, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since.

Also, I recently read this article (not sure how legit it is, but I found it interesting nonetheless): https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/07/238888/vintage-designer-handbag-trends-2019. "Balenciaga's City style has seen a steady 18% sales increase YOY."

Also, a close girlfriend of mine works in fashion in NYC and said she's seeing them more and more lately, and highly recommended I get that style (she helps me make smart luxury decisions before I get caught up in a hot trend moment. See: Fendi Baguette).

Unpopular opinion: I think the city bag is making a low-key comeback.

I've yet to buy anything from Balenciaga and the small / mini (still deciding) metallic edge style is on my radar for the first time ever. Something about it just seems edgy yet timeless to me, and I love that it can be a casual everyday bag but still dressed up for evenings/weekends. I wasn't even looking for that bag and spotted it last year at my local Nordstrom, held it, snapped a photo, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since.

Also, I recently read this article (not sure how legit it is, but I found it interesting nonetheless): https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/07/238888/vintage-designer-handbag-trends-2019. "Balenciaga's City style has seen a steady 18% sales increase YOY."

Also, a close girlfriend of mine works in fashion in NYC and said she's seeing them more and more lately, and highly recommended I get that style (she helps me make smart luxury decisions before I get caught up in a hot trend moment. See: Fendi Baguette).
NO .. not an unpopular opinion at all; glad to hear what you and your friend have to say!!!! To a certain degree, I also think that given Balenciaga's price point (especially pre-loved ones), it's the way many folks can get their first 'designer' bag (let's face it, Chanel and many of the other brands are a lot more $$$).

NO .. not an unpopular opinion at all; glad to hear what you and your friend have to say!!!! To a certain degree, I also think that given Balenciaga's price point (especially pre-loved ones), it's the way many folks can get their first 'designer' bag (let's face it, Chanel and many of the other brands are a lot more $$$).

I should edit to *Uncommon opinion! Ha!

Regardless, I'm excited to own one in the coming months as it will be a fall bag of choice!

Reactions: RT1
66CCCE4E-AAAE-4B4E-A469-06364F26C842.jpeg I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question. If it’s not then please delete the post. I was doing some balenciaga research and realized I love the moto-style coin purses. Does anyone know if they still sell this style in boutiques? (Picture was taken from google)

View attachment 4526693 I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question. If it’s not then please delete the post. I was doing some balenciaga research and realized I love the moto-style coin purses. Does anyone know if they still sell this style in boutiques? (Picture was taken from google)
No, Balenciaga stopped making many of the "accessories" some years back (the exception being Wallets). I always thought it was odd because they used to sell out like hotcakes, but I think it was went A.Wang headed up Bal that they stopped making them. As such, the only place to find them is in the resell market!

No, Balenciaga stopped making many of the "accessories" some years back (the exception being Wallets). I always thought it was odd because they used to sell out like hotcakes, but I think it was went A.Wang headed up Bal that they stopped making them. As such, the only place to find them is in the resell market!
Sigh...this reminded me of how sad I am when they stopped it. I didn’t know it back then ...I would’ve bought many many many more! They’re so light, squishy and adorable, not to mention super practical.

Sigh...this reminded me of how sad I am when they stopped it. I didn’t know it back then ...I would’ve bought many many many more! They’re so light, squishy and adorable, not to mention super practical.
Same here; I still have my '04 Rose and my 2011 Holiday (Burgundy) Hamilton .. and you bet I use them, especially when I travel. They can store a TON of stuff, so sad when they stopped making them and STILL so kicking myself for not keeping the '05 Lime Green one!

Reactions: viewwing
I think it's interesting that Balenciaga would choose to discontinue their moto bags while someone like Rebecca Minkoff is coming out with essentially that same style with her Regan collection.

I live in NYC and do see a lot of women carrying motorcycle Bals as well, myself included.

I think it's interesting that Balenciaga would choose to discontinue their moto bags while someone like Rebecca Minkoff is coming out with essentially that same style with her Regan collection.

I live in NYC and do see a lot of women carrying motorcycle Bals as well, myself included.
There's no indication that they're discontinuing the City. RM did a bag years ago that was a mixture of Bal's City and their old multi zip, it's what made me start looking at Bals in the first place.

Reactions: RT1 and Kimbashop

I agree, I see lots of Bals! I think it is still going strong!