Trend? .. phasing out the City Style?

CeeJay

A BAL-enced Life!
O.G.
Dec 6, 2005
So, just in looking at various advertisements in Fashion Magazines and then a viewing of the Handbags on Balenciaga.com, it appears that the City bag is slowly but surely being somewhat phased out. Yes, there are a few bags with the scarves on the handles, but in general .. the MAJORITY of the bags are very different styles.

Could this be the end of the Moto-style bag entirely? Frankly, I can't say that I'm interested in ANY of the bags that I've seen .. thoughts?!?!?

i don't think they will completely discontinue the City, but most probably reduce the choice of the colours and limit the stock
will probably stick to black, grey/beige, maybe red, and offer one, or two seasonal colours, i have seen very nice yellow City online (Italist, probably?) the red and cobalt blue in the boutique, but what i see 'in the wild' are all grafitti, and some of the other models (Ville, ME s/mini, Papier). If i see any City, it's usually an oldie, well broken in, slouchy and "loved" :smile:

Reactions: SakuraSakura
Absolutely. Agree that the writing has been on the wall for some time. It is certainly about the structured bags now....and again! Sad that this group of obsessed Moto bag lovers has dwindled here, but I'm guessing those of us who love the soft slouchy leather bags, will always prefer them, certainly speaking for myself. The little boxy bags have been popular before. If you read the History of the Motorcycle bags, (thank you Corey at Real Deal) you'll see that their soft, used, look was not accepted at the time. Favored bags back then were the structured boxes that are on the upswing again.. It was only after the runway models fell in love with the bags that looked and felt like comfortable old friends, that Ghesquiere decided to try a single season. After that all else is history. It's just the swing of the pendulum. I'm just pleased that I and some simpatico souls have been able to acquire some beauties before they were gone. :drinks:

I have only been into high end designer bags for 5 years but I can definitely see the popularity decreasing during these years (I live in Sweden and trends are normally either a little late or earlier than rest of the world).

The second hand value of Balenciaga bags are often 30% of resale and if you are lucky as a seller you will get almost 50%. This is crazy since City bags are so expensive and very classic (in my opinion at least).

This is awesome for me since I love the City bag and have no problems buying second hand bags.

Reactions: SakuraSakura
The Balenciaga City is an icon and the demand will never go away completely!! I don’t use mine much anymore but can’t bear (oh goodness is it bare???) to part with them because they are excellent for vacation and many other occasions, convenient for arm carry, plus, they are beautiful!!! Unfortunately, I have never had a black city with regular hardware. Maybe now I will find one pre-loved at a reasonable price!

The Balenciaga City is an icon and the demand will never go away completely!! I don’t use mine much anymore but can’t bear (oh goodness is it bare???) to part with them because they are excellent for vacation and many other occasions, convenient for arm carry, plus, they are beautiful!!! Unfortunately, I have never had a black city with regular hardware. Maybe now I will find one pre-loved at a reasonable price!

That is the upside to all this! Now is definitely your chance to find that last holy grail and at a great price! Good luck!

You can DEFINITELY get pre-loved Cities at a variety of places online, and oftentimes at a great discount! When I think back to the days of buying many of my Bal bags at full retail, I kind of cringe now .. I definitely DO NOT do that anymore! It's kind of interesting that before Demna (especially when A. Wang was the Designer), the Balenciaga bags were what was keeping them in business. However now .. and for whatever reason ('cos I'm not a Demna fan), the clothing is keeping them in business along with some of the bags.

In 2010, Balenciaga did the special '10-year Anniversary' bags; wonder if they will do something for 2020?

Reactions: tatertot and Kmora
Absolutely. Agree that the writing has been on the wall for some time. It is certainly about the structured bags now....and again! Sad that this group of obsessed Moto bag lovers has dwindled here, but I'm guessing those of us who love the soft slouchy leather bags, will always prefer them, certainly speaking for myself. The little boxy bags have been popular before. If you read the History of the Motorcycle bags, (thank you Corey at Real Deal) you'll see that their soft, used, look was not accepted at the time. Favored bags back then were the structured boxes that are on the upswing again.. It was only after the runway models fell in love with the bags that looked and felt like comfortable old friends, that Ghesquiere decided to try a single season. After that all else is history. It's just the swing of the pendulum. I'm just pleased that I and some simpatico souls have been able to acquire some beauties before they were gone. :drinks:
Same here @Conni618 .. there aren't many of us 'original' Bal enthusiasts anymore (which can sometimes be a good thing re: snagging a rare bag)!!! :hugs:

Same here @Conni618 .. there aren't many of us 'original' Bal enthusiasts anymore (which can sometimes be a good thing re: snagging a rare bag)!!! :hugs:

Ha! Absolutely! Though there is a possibility that it's too much of a good thing for some of us. I have been able to buy three lovely, early oldies in the past year. Rare bags I've dreamed of but never had access to in years gone by. Downside is my purchases have created "doubles," in similar colors that really should be sold, but being a seller now, even for beautiful Bals is like being underwater in the last housing crash.

Realizing this is an obnoxious problem. No hate mail anyone please! I'm driving a 12 year old car.. :facepalm: