Resizing Cartier trinity ring

Hi All!
I purchased a Rose Gold Trinity Ring that was a tad too small because it was the last one available globally. I asked Cartier to resize it 1.5 up, one day after purchasing it, so the ring showed no signs of wear.

I picked the ring up today after three weeks, and I noticed some quality issues upon inspection once I returned home:

1. There is a thick grey line on each ring, where they presumably broke the ring to resize it

2. There are two deep scratches on the ring, that I know weren’t caused by me because I submitted it for resizing the morning after purchasing it

3. The trinity ‘mechanism’ appears to be somewhat distorted, as in, the three rings don’t sit as nicely together as they did before

I immediately rang my SA when I noticed this, and she said that I should bring it back in, so that they can send it back for a proper polish.

Polishing won’t change the fact that there are scratches on the ring, and resizing it appears to have distorted it somewhat.

Would it be unreasonable to demand a new ring in the correct size (not sure how this would work as it has been discontinued), or a refund, as I see no point whatsoever in sending it back to their workshop and I am already frustrated and disappointed.

(P.S: it’s hard to show this in pictures because the rose gold is very bright)

Reactions: Noyerx
Hi All!
I purchased a Rose Gold Trinity Ring that was a tad too small because it was the last one available globally. I asked Cartier to resize it 1.5 up, one day after purchasing it, so the ring showed no signs of wear.

I picked the ring up today after three weeks, and I noticed some quality issues upon inspection once I returned home:

1. There is a thick grey line on each ring, where they presumably broke the ring to resize it

2. There are two deep scratches on the ring, that I know weren’t caused by me because I submitted it for resizing the morning after purchasing it

3. The trinity ‘mechanism’ appears to be somewhat distorted, as in, the three rings don’t sit as nicely together as they did before

I immediately rang my SA when I noticed this, and she said that I should bring it back in, so that they can send it back for a proper polish.

Polishing won’t change the fact that there are scratches on the ring, and resizing it appears to have distorted it somewhat.

Would it be unreasonable to demand a new ring in the correct size (not sure how this would work as it has been discontinued), or a refund, as I see no point whatsoever in sending it back to their workshop and I am already frustrated and disappointed.

(P.S: it’s hard to show this in pictures because the rose gold is very bright)

Not sure how well this shows in the photos, but there is a gape between each ring, making it look slightly lifted, whereas before, I found that it lay flatter on my finger.

Attachments

• C68BB033-8913-402C-BC6A-646E201AE55D.jpeg
    C68BB033-8913-402C-BC6A-646E201AE55D.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 256
Not sure how well this shows in the photos, but there is a gape between each ring, making it look slightly lifted, whereas before, I found that it lay flatter on my finger.
....I would think the ring would require gaps in order to “roll”. The ring looks beautiful on you and I would think they could buff out the scratch and sizing seam. If you really feel the ring is just not right then return it because you’ll never be happy with it. Good luck!

Thank you darling, I understand that there needs to be a gap between each ring, but what I’m trying to say is that there is a gape between each ring and my finger, as in, each ring is slightly lifted away from my finger. Not sure whether this is a result of it being slightly bigger than before, but I would have thought it would lay flat, with gaps for movement. I’ll see what they say tomorrow, but I’m definitely never buying a small ring again. :’)

Reactions: Noyerx
I'd take it in and compare it to an unsized Trinity ring - if there is a difference in the way that your ring sits it would be easy spot. The resizing seams shouldn't be visible and I wouldn't be happy with it either. Also, you want to avoid polishing if possible, especially this early on, because you'll lose a tiny amount of gold each time and the hallmarks won't look as sharp.

I'd take it in and compare it to an unsized Trinity ring - if there is a difference in the way that your ring sits it would be easy spot. The resizing seams shouldn't be visible and I wouldn't be happy with it either. Also, you want to avoid polishing if possible, especially this early on, because you'll lose a tiny amount of gold each time and the hallmarks won't look as sharp.

Whoops, forgot to quote ya!

I would get the ring polished. Yes, you lose a little bit of gold but you aren’t buying Cartier for the gram weight. You’re buying it for the design.

They should absolutely repair your ring to your satisfaction.

So I have put on around 5kg over the past year (thanks pregnancy hormones and OH) which I cannot get rid of but am trying. My trinity ring on ring finger which I had hoped to use as my wedding band in the future is starting to give me a little muffin top. Should I keep going and try to lose the weight or get it resized? If I have it resized then has anyone had experience and how much does it cost?

I had mine resized last October: I went from 50 to 48 I think? Don't remember, but I went down 2 sizes. It was free as it was my first time and it took about a month ! Came back all new :smile:

So I have put on around 5kg over the past year (thanks pregnancy hormones and OH) which I cannot get rid of but am trying. My trinity ring on ring finger which I had hoped to use as my wedding band in the future is starting to give me a little muffin top. Should I keep going and try to lose the weight or get it resized? If I have it resized then has anyone had experience and how much does it cost?
Hi there! Can you comfortably wear it on another finger? Then I would do this and probably wait it out.
Taking off pregnancy weight can take some time (took me years, mostly due to sleep deprivation) and the additional "pressure" of having to do this for a piece of jewelry would have stressed me out even more. ;)
You can always have your ring resized, I am just in the process of doing this with a ring where I am in between sizes.