The JADE thread!

Hi mintea! I usually go for colors I like. I am a huge fan of nephrite, so I love the more earthy tones and creamy texture. So greens, Browns, celadon and white of varying tones. In jadeite I like white bangles with splashes of deep green or dark lavender. So I say go for what you like :smile:

As far as budget goes, I think that ties into what color or tone you prefer. If you prefer a bright green or lavender which is more popular, they will have a higher price tag. Translucency also plays a big roll in the price. Have you checked out the reputable sellers thread? There you can get some reviews on sellers and see some of the bangles purchased as well as their cost. I’m not sure if you have access to seeing jade in person, if so that would certainly help a lot. Most of us don’t, so we purchase our jade online which at first can be a bit challenging, but eventually you take the plunge and learn from that experience.

Agreed with you CR.
I have a big struggle in terms of “good value”. It’s such a huge price range of jadeite bangles...after each and every one of my purchase (with some cheaper ones and more expensive ones are lavender), everytime I couldn’t help but still look back and re consider if I paid more than I should have.

Another thing is, some of the styles I love a lot, are those I don’t always be able to wear all the times. End up always wear the cheaper ones...! Those are usually more uniform colored ones with white or dark tone making it much easier to fit in daily wear. Sometimes I find it hard to wear very bright one every day...

I’m not sure if you have access to seeing jade in person, if so that would certainly help a lot. Most of us don’t, so we purchase our jade online which at first can be a bit challenging, but eventually you take the plunge and learn from that experience.

Actually, seeing jade in person does help a little but not a lot also. In my home country, most goldsmith shops have jade but the price is astronomical. And not much selection too. I only went there to try out a size (58mm) and they didn't even have bangles in that size, despite having maybe 50 bangles in store. The closest I got to was 59mm. But anyway, the colour selection and the sizing was enough (or rather not enough haha) to convince me that I must order online if I want more choice. Which is what I've been doing since I started buying bangles in May this year :biggrin:

Then just over the weekend, I went to a pearl shop that my sis said also has Grade A jadeite bangles. She has bought bangles there before. I saw a beautiful lavender one which is 56mm and got so excited. Though it was 2mm smaller that the size I prefer, I still tried it on, since I expected it to be Grade A. However, when I asked just to be sure, I was told it's Grade B!!! I tried my best to mask my annoyance then politely said I would have to think about it.

Some time this month, I hope to check out another shop but it's not really in a location I would normally go to and is out of my comfort zone. Hope this shop is better hehe! Anyway, this time I will be smarter and ask about the grade before trying on the bangle haha

Hi mintea! I usually go for colors I like. I am a huge fan of nephrite, so I love the more earthy tones and creamy texture. So greens, Browns, celadon and white of varying tones. In jadeite I like white bangles with splashes of deep green or dark lavender. So I say go for what you like :smile:

As far as budget goes, I think that ties into what color or tone you prefer. If you prefer a bright green or lavender which is more popular, they will have a higher price tag. Translucency also plays a big roll in the price. Have you checked out the reputable sellers thread? There you can get some reviews on sellers and see some of the bangles purchased as well as their cost. I’m not sure if you have access to seeing jade in person, if so that would certainly help a lot. Most of us don’t, so we purchase our jade online which at first can be a bit challenging, but eventually you take the plunge and learn from that experience.
Warm earthy tones in jade look beautiful online, but yes, I've never seen them in person! I actually think I would love a warm-toned bangle, with honey or brown tones. I have it on my wishlist. Purchasing jade online can be a leap of faith, but I also have a long history of buying stuff online that's even harder to gauge from text and pictures alone. If I can shop for perfume online, well, at least jade photographs well! XD

Agreed with you CR.
I have a big struggle in terms of “good value”. It’s such a huge price range of jadeite bangles...after each and every one of my purchase (with some cheaper ones and more expensive ones are lavender), everytime I couldn’t help but still look back and re consider if I paid more than I should have.

Another thing is, some of the styles I love a lot, are those I don’t always be able to wear all the times. End up always wear the cheaper ones...! Those are usually more uniform colored ones with white or dark tone making it much easier to fit in daily wear. Sometimes I find it hard to wear very bright one every day...
I'm a comparison shopper at heart, so jade makes it hard for me because each piece is truly unique. Although there are colors and textures that command higher prices, the value of any given piece of jade is subjective at some point. It's like buying art instead of buying a commodity. But it's hard for me to deal when I buy something, and then find a version I like more for less, but I accept that's just part of the game. My jade strategy may be just to get what I love within my budget and accept that it's not possible to predict what some other seller will have on offer next month.

Interesting point about wearing the cheaper ones more often than the splurgey ones. It's true that colors that appeal to me standing alone - like lavender! - are not necessarily the best matches for my wardrobe. Still, even if it's a color that doesn't "fit in," I would prefer to think of jade as contrasting rather than clashing with an outfit, lol!

Actually, seeing jade in person does help a little but not a lot also. In my home country, most goldsmith shops have jade but the price is astronomical. And not much selection too. I only went there to try out a size (58mm) and they didn't even have bangles in that size, despite having maybe 50 bangles in store. The closest I got to was 59mm. But anyway, the colour selection and the sizing was enough (or rather not enough haha) to convince me that I must order online if I want more choice. Which is what I've been doing since I started buying bangles in May this year :biggrin:

Then just over the weekend, I went to a pearl shop that my sis said also has Grade A jadeite bangles. She has bought bangles there before. I saw a beautiful lavender one which is 56mm and got so excited. Though it was 2mm smaller that the size I prefer, I still tried it on, since I expected it to be Grade A. However, when I asked just to be sure, I was told it's Grade B!!! I tried my best to mask my annoyance then politely said I would have to think about it.

Some time this month, I hope to check out another shop but it's not really in a location I would normally go to and is out of my comfort zone. Hope this shop is better hehe! Anyway, this time I will be smarter and ask about the grade before trying on the bangle haha
The jewelry stores I've been to locally have very little jade, and never bangles. I've seen some beautiful rich green jade in rings and brooches in the estate jewelry sections, though. I think I would also be confused or at least annoyed differentiating between Grade A and Grade B jade, particularly if I suspected the shopkeeper was not an expert in jade specifically.

Hello Jadies! I’m trying to shop my collection and I would love to wear this pendant, but I still haven’t found a way to wear it. The hole is inside, so there is a lip that hangs over the hole. Any suggestions? I tried looping over the lip but I don’t like the look at all. Ugh

Attachments

• 33225AB5-CB11-4B66-9F94-77AF4303E7ED.jpeg
    33225AB5-CB11-4B66-9F94-77AF4303E7ED.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 104
Hello Jadies! I’m trying to shop my collection and I would love to wear this pendant, but I still haven’t found a way to wear it. The hole is inside, so there is a lip that hangs over the hole. Any suggestions? I tried looping over the lip but I don’t like the look at all. Ugh
CR, hope you are alright, how wonderful to know that jade helped you get through!
And what a pretty pendant. You are so right about trying a look that you think will work and then it just looks weird. I think jewelry design is hard! You have to try things until you are satisfied with the look. How about a big-ish jump ring and a silver chain? I know metal leaves marks though.
Hi ladies! Hope you're all having a lovely Sunday. It's been a while since I posted or read through this thread but lately I have had a hankering for new jade. This thread is dangerous for me unless I am already in the mood to shop anyway. :smile: My problem with shopping is twofold... 1) I love all the colors, how do I pick?! and 2) I want to make the most of my budget but am still not entirely sure how to spot a "good value." I have really enjoyed scrolling through many pages of recent photos and discussion, everyone's jewelry is lovely.

Hi mintea, and so wonderful to hear from you! Buying jade online can be scary especially after being burned a few times myself :sad: Definitely go for what speaks to you. As long as it is within your budget and grade A, then what is considered the "good" color, etc. does not really matter. I find there is a huge difference between what I like in pictures and what looks good on me. Which definitely results in a lot of trials and pieces I end up not wearing.

I went for the nephrite princess I thought was too small. It actually fit! I could not resist the look and the price. You can see the lines it left on my hand fitting on. LOL. It is more of a darker green in person than the pic.IMG_20190703_120533.jpg

CR, hope you are alright, how wonderful to know that jade helped you get through!
And what a pretty pendant. You are so right about trying a look that you think will work and then it just looks weird. I think jewelry design is hard! You have to try things until you are satisfied with the look. How about a big-ish jump ring and a silver chain? I know metal leaves marks though.

Hi mintea, and so wonderful to hear from you! Buying jade online can be scary especially after being burned a few times myself :sad: Definitely go for what speaks to you. As long as it is within your budget and grade A, then what is considered the "good" color, etc. does not really matter. I find there is a huge difference between what I like in pictures and what looks good on me. Which definitely results in a lot of trials and pieces I end up not wearing.

I went for the nephrite princess I thought was too small. It actually fit! I could not resist the look and the price. You can see the lines it left on my hand fitting on. LOL. It is more of a darker green in person than the pic.View attachment 4480159

I love this one! Definitely worth a bit of pain:smile: Hopefully it comes off easier than going on. It’s very pretty and I I love the simple design and soft green colour.

I love this one! Definitely worth a bit of pain:smile: Hopefully it comes off easier than going on. It’s very pretty and I I love the simple design and soft green colour.
Thank you 2boys for the kind words. It does come off, I checked :noworry:. I think I may be bruised (putting it on) but definitely worth it! The energy of this jade is very positive and it speaks to me a lot. Literally. This bangle likes to chime. Maybe because it is a princess round? Or maybe I am imagining things.

Do you, Jadies, find that your round bangles chime more than your D shaped ones? Or is it more of a type of jade thing?

Thanks so much JB! I’ll see what it looks like. It’s tough, I have a few I haven’t worn for that reason. I have to find me some gold jump rings and some ring settings for cabs I’d like to set. The list goes on :smile:

I love your new bangle! It’s gorgeous! I can see why it has a positive energy too, the tone and the cut seem very soothing to me. I’ll really like princess shaped bangles, but that kinda spiral type cutting adds a whole twist. I would definitely agree that princess bangles chime a bit, at least in my case they do. I find myself tapping my bangles with my nails all the time to hear a bit of a chime lol. It’s s bad habit of mine but at least I can’t hurt it that way ;)

Thanks so much JB! I’ll see what it looks like. It’s tough, I have a few I haven’t worn for that reason. I have to find me some gold jump rings and some ring settings for cabs I’d like to set. The list goes on :smile:

I love your new bangle! It’s gorgeous! I can see why it has a positive energy too, the tone and the cut seem very soothing to me. I’ll really like princess shaped bangles, but that kinda spiral type cutting adds a whole twist. I would definitely agree that princess bangles chime a bit, at least in my case they do. I find myself tapping my bangles with my nails all the time to hear a bit of a chime lol. It’s s bad habit of mine but at least I can’t hurt it that way ;)
Thank you so much, CR. Haha, I do that too! (Also, I test chime with my nails.) I find it works much better than taping with metal, other jade, etc.

Reactions: Cyanide Rose
Hi ladies! Haven’t posted for a while but have been quietly admiring everyone’s pieces. Am back as I just bought a few new pieces and I’ve finally named one of them and immediately thought of you ladies when the name came to me.

This is Yin Yang and it’s a black and white jadeite bangle. I actually wanted the sister bangle (LINK) originally that has the black/white more evenly split but there was a patch that bothered me a little so I got its sister bangle that has about 1/3 white patch.
EC7E1201-5D6D-4F5B-989F-25BE1E0AE6B4.jpeg

When I saw the bangle on the site I immediately thought of this:
BB709551-761F-4D20-9290-C98AC6613446.png

And I also got a green nephrite princess (no name)
CE95BE80-4241-483C-B512-B93A95420C5E.jpeg
(You can see the two black/white bangles in the background)

And finally this purple jadeite ring that I’ll need to adjust the size. Love the super high dome.
DAA192E5-A6E0-49A8-A060-CF11F96C322C.jpeg
62DF7BFA-13AB-4B72-A60C-08FE0A88EC9E.jpeg

My search continues for a purple bangle and earrings...

Hi ladies! Haven’t posted for a while but have been quietly admiring everyone’s pieces. Am back as I just bought a few new pieces and I’ve finally named one of them and immediately thought of you ladies when the name came to me.

This is Yin Yang and it’s a black and white jadeite bangle. I actually wanted the sister bangle (LINK) originally that has the black/white more evenly split but there was a patch that bothered me a little so I got its sister bangle that has about 1/3 white patch.
View attachment 4480695

View attachment 4480700

View attachment 4480696

And finally this purple jadeite ring that I’ll need to adjust the size. Love the super high dome.
View attachment 4480697
View attachment 4480698

Wow!! What a haul!! Congrats on all your pieces! Yin Yang is beautiful! Love the ring too!

Thank you 2boys for the kind words. It does come off, I checked :noworry:. I think I may be bruised (putting it on) but definitely worth it! The energy of this jade is very positive and it speaks to me a lot. Literally. This bangle likes to chime. Maybe because it is a princess round? Or maybe I am imagining things.

Do you, Jadies, find that your round bangles chime more than your D shaped ones? Or is it more of a type of jade thing?

What a beautiful bangle and worth the lines and bruising! I like to chime my bangles with my nails too but I do it not to test chime but just to hear it chime since I'm still a newbie and can't really do testing yet haha

View attachment 4480695

View attachment 4480700

View attachment 4480696

View attachment 4480697
View attachment 4480698

Great pieces icyjade! Love the contrast of Yin Yang and of course I love the nephrite bangle. I really like the floral like ring, it’s a stunner! Beautiful lavender as well.

Reactions: jadeitebear
Still shopping my collection, I’m thinking of black thread for this bat/ bamboo pendant, and maybe add a small white bead. I always wear the same turquoise necklace but now I’m trying to finally make necklaces for my pendants. It’s funny icyjade brought up yin yang. I’ve been trying to decide what to do with these. I have two sets, the other has green swirls. I was thinking a big bracelet, but now I’m thinking earrings, as long as they don’t drill them anywhere Incase I change my mind later on.
Sorry, I just noticed my nails, I have no idea what that is. Sand, play doh lol IDK. Been playing with the little guy all day :biggrin:

Attachments

• 97117DA7-A0AC-4FF9-9FF7-803218DC2150.jpeg
    97117DA7-A0AC-4FF9-9FF7-803218DC2150.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 5766465C-29F2-4C0C-87C5-F0F64F38E3D1.jpeg
    5766465C-29F2-4C0C-87C5-F0F64F38E3D1.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

View attachment 4480695

View attachment 4480700

View attachment 4480696

View attachment 4480697
View attachment 4480698

Hello Icyjade! Your new bangles and ring are amazing. The luster in Yin Yang is superb. I am glad you got the one without the bothersome patch! The balance of the black and icy white in Yin Yang looks artfully positioned and I can't stop admiring at the smooth lavender jade in your ring. I hope you get it sized soon so you can wear it A LOT. Also, I :heart: this shop! I wish I could afford everything in it :loveeyes:!!!
Still shopping my collection, I’m thinking of black thread for this bat/ bamboo pendant, and maybe add a small white bead. I always wear the same turquoise necklace but now I’m trying to finally make necklaces for my pendants. It’s funny icyjade brought up yin yang. I’ve been trying to decide what to do with these. I have two sets, the other has green swirls. I was thinking a big bracelet, but now I’m thinking earrings, as long as they don’t drill them anywhere Incase I change my mind later on.
Sorry, I just noticed my nails, I have no idea what that is. Sand, play doh lol IDK. Been playing with the little guy all day :biggrin:
Great finds, CR! My vote is for earrings. The bamboo pendant would look lovely on you. Mod shots plz ;)

Reactions: Cyanide Rose