Bad craftsmanship

I have shared this video before but it has great footage of inside a Louis Vuitton manufacturing facility in France. It shows the building of the Alma in Vernis, you can see the huge computerized machines that precut the canvas and leather, and briefly the making of a NF. As someone who has been to an LV factory, I can say that this footage is very accurate.

--- Skip to '14---

I have shared this video before but it has great footage of inside a Louis Vuitton manufacturing facility in France. It shows the building of the Alma in Vernis, you can see the huge computerized machines that precut the canvas and leather, and briefly the making of a NF. As someone who has been to an LV factory, I can say that this footage is very accurate.

--- Skip to '14---

I am interested in how you got to visit the LV manufacturing facility. Can you share your story?

I am not particularly picky and that neverfull handle looks awful. It's more than just a little off.
To answer your question I haven't had quality issues lately because I haven't bought much since 2015 or 2016, just a very small slg this year, the round coin purse.

Thank you to all who have said there’s no reason to be criticizing than simply saying yes or no you’ve had a problem lately too. I agree with snibor post above that the attitudes of some on here lately that have become antagonistic, insulting or attacking the OP has become disheartening. And again, the photo is not zoomed or over magnified. It was a clear shot taken up close but not over magnified. The problem has been solved by finding a bag that was made in Spain not US. All the ones at the store (that was a 4 hour round trip to make) had the same issues if made in US. The 2 made in Spain were perfection & even the 4 SA’s working said they’re having major problems with this lately & even they think it looks awful & wouldn’t spend $1400 on it when it looked like that. Case closed!

--- Skip to '14---

I’ve missed this in the past—thank you so much for sharing again. Loved watching that!

Reactions: fabuleux
Thank you to all who have said there’s no reason to be criticizing than simply saying yes or no you’ve had a problem lately too. I agree with snibor post above that the attitudes of some on here lately that have become antagonistic, insulting or attacking the OP has become disheartening. And again, the photo is not zoomed or over magnified. It was a clear shot taken up close but not over magnified. The problem has been solved by finding a bag that was made in Spain not US. All the ones at the store (that was a 4 hour round trip to make) had the same issues if made in US. The 2 made in Spain were perfection & even the 4 SA’s working said they’re having major problems with this lately & even they think it looks awful & wouldn’t spend $1400 on it when it looked like that. Case closed!
Glad you had a resolution you were happy with!!! :smile:

Reactions: anabg
I have noticed the discrepancy in quality depending on where it is made and the type of bags from LV. You’re not alone.

I’m not a picky person but I’ve seen better workmanship in other non-premium designers compared to LV!

I have purchased quite a few LV bags from Europe and am extremely happy with quality from there.

Reactions: Lemonmint and anabg

I can relate. I really like the LV SA at King of Prussia, they take good care of their customers.
1. They immediately acknowledged the problem with cracking/peeling glaze and exchanged the bag for me after the return period.
2. They found (and ordered) me a made in France Empreinte Melie.

Yes, I’m picky when it comes to a $1000+ bag.

Hey girl! Yes, yes!! I’m seeing so much quality control BS coming from my recent items too. It didn’t use to be this way. All of my older items are perfectly aligned, stitched, and glazed. They are all aging beautifully. My newer items have so many flaws it’s annoying. I’m not an overly picky person but some things are just not acceptable to me. Crooked locks, bad stitching that causes ugly wrinkling, glaze overspray, peeling canvas, and cracks amongst other things are not worth the thousands we spend. I too have played the exchange game. I know they don’t like it when we as clients do that, but if that’s what must be done to get a decent bag (I’m not even saying perfect at this point) then so be it. That being said, my bar as lowered quite a bit if I want to stay a client. I’m now trying to live with minor flaws as they are so common nowadays. I pick and choose what flaw bugs me more than another. In my most recent purchase, the monogram pattern was horribly off-center. I did exchange it for another one and it was beautiful. I have also experienced great differences between the factories. It’s not always USA that’s bad in fact I’ve had a few MIFs that were really awful. Just depends on the bag. I’m so glad you found a MIS that was perfect! While the chaps stitching wouldn’t bug me too much, I completely get it! We all have our threshold for what bugs us. It’s all ok! But to answer your original question. Yes yes yes, quality control is having a bad moment with LV. I hope it gets better!

--- Skip to '14---

I think it's great that LV is more transparent about their manufacturing process than when they were they sued for falsely advertising that models in Vermeer-esque French studios were painstakingly crafting shoes and other items rather than the large production floors in Romania and India that they actually produce shoes in.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/e91576e0-660b-11dc-9fbb-0000779fd2ac
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...e-where-louis-vuitton-makes-its-italian-shoes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ads-banned-suggesting-bags-hand-stitched.html
I just feel that with their hi-tech factory and constant price increases they can afford to produce bags with more evenly aligned handle stitching and better quality control in general, so that they don't have to do mass recalls years after the fact, etc.

Last edited:
I think it's great that LV is more transparent about their manufacturing process than when they were they sued for falsely advertising that models in Vermeer-esque French studios were painstakingly crafting shoes and other items rather than the large production floors in Romania and India that they actually produce shoes in.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/e91576e0-660b-11dc-9fbb-0000779fd2ac
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...e-where-louis-vuitton-makes-its-italian-shoes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ads-banned-suggesting-bags-hand-stitched.html
I just feel that with their hi-tech factory and constant price increases they can afford to produce bags with more evenly aligned handle stitching and better quality control in general, so that they don't have to do mass recalls years after the fact, etc.
If you don’t like the brand and they fail to meet your quality standards, then don’t shop there! It’s pretty simple!

Reactions: chaneldoll90