Bad craftsmanship

even if it WERE the case that OP didn’t own any LV, there ARE still lots of useful data points that nonbuyers have to offer.

A company DOES want to know, WHY are you a non buyer..? They can then DO with the data what they will, but you make the best decisions if you have all the information.

‘If you don’t like it, don’t buy it’ is a valid line of thought, but quite frankly so is ‘Here’s why I don’t like it and am not buying it’.

But not what this thread is about. If you feel motivated to start a new one for nonbuyers, I'm sure it would attract responses.

Last edited:
But not what this thread is about. If you feel motivated to start a new one for nonbuyers, I'm sure it would attract responses.
Fortunately, I didn’t claim that this thread WAS about that. Doesn’t suggesting a solution to an argument no one was putting forth seem useless at best and aggressive and unnecessary at worst..?

It seems stretching the boundaries of truth JUST a bit to make it out as though the word ‘nonbuyer’ has never yet been mentioned on this thread save by my lips, or that no one at ALL has asked anyone commenting if they were even an LV customer in the first place, nor implied that only a buyer has any opinion of value to offer to the brand.

I think if you re-read the thread and were honest, it should seem obvious that whether one is a buyer or not HAS seemed ‘relevant’, for whatever reason, to other folks (looking at YOU, cough cough) previously offering their input on this thread, and that therefore commenting on that previous input, even though it’s not ‘what this thread is about’ is hardly a derailment of the thread.

Is there some specific reason you have that I am the only one who ought to shove off, given the above...?

I wouldn’t know what nonbuyers want from LV, since I’m not in that category either, so starting a whole new thread for those folks seems not in my wheelhouse, but again, commenting on a path that’s been fairly well-tread on THIS thread is hardly breaking new ground. Cheers!

Last edited:
At any rate, the photo the OP posted of the chap stitching would personally not bother me, the descriptions of the bag would not bother me, I see some REALLY microscopic LV flaws being blown into rants that just are :rolleyes:, and although I would agree with her that you certainly HEAR more about shoddy product than you used to, it could be that a) it was always ‘like that’ and it’s only the rise of the always-on internet that makes it seem more common, b) that it’s NOT really like that and only that people are a lot more unnecessarily picky than they once were, c) a combination of both those things, d) that quality really has declined of late at least in certain places, or e) something else entirely.

However, it’s been strongly implied that one’s status as a buyer or nonbuyer is correlated to the validity of their opinion about this, and that simply HAPPENED to be what I chose to comment on first, and hardly ex nihilo. :coolio:

Last edited:
I think it's great that LV is more transparent about their manufacturing process than when they were they sued for falsely advertising that models in Vermeer-esque French studios were painstakingly crafting shoes and other items rather than the large production floors in Romania and India that they actually produce shoes in.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/e91576e0-660b-11dc-9fbb-0000779fd2ac
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...e-where-louis-vuitton-makes-its-italian-shoes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ads-banned-suggesting-bags-hand-stitched.html
I just feel that with their hi-tech factory and constant price increases they can afford to produce bags with more evenly aligned handle stitching and better quality control in general, so that they don't have to do mass recalls years after the fact, etc.
Thanks for the information :smile:.

Reactions: amateurjeweler
If you don’t like the brand and they fail to meet your quality standards, then don’t shop there! It’s pretty simple!
She just gave her opinion and what written on the news, nothing to be upset about. Misleading customers is awful, no matter how you look at it. I don’t think is has anything to do with liking the brand or not. I like the brand and a long time fan of LV and found it interesting in what I just read.

She just gave her opinion and what written on the news, nothing to be upset about. Misleading customers is awful, no matter how you look at it. I don’t think is has anything to do with liking the brand or not. I like the brand and a long time fan of LV and found it interesting in what I just read.
No one is “upset”! :smile:
These articles have been discussed ad nauseam on the forum already.

Reactions: Liberté
Yes, the articles I linked have been posted/discussed before, as has the video they were linked in response to.

Anyway, I think it's cool that we have a poster with inside knowledge who can verify that the video accurately depicts how at least some Neverfulls are made. All I'm saying is that I applaud the recent transparency in a 2018 video, marking a move in the right direction after misleading ads in 2010 and likely misleading origin labelling uncovered in 2017. I hope LV keeps it up.

The point I have been making is that given the state of the art production facility shown in the video, and the production costs consisting only 10% of the price of the bags according to the video, LV can afford to maintain a higher level of quality control on the bags they sell, and eat the costs of shoddy production before such items reach the showroom floor, instead of customers having to do their own quality control in-store. LV should be a store where the premium people are paying ensures they're getting high-end goods that the company will unequivocally stand behind if a bag falls short on its promise. In my opinion they should extend the return/exchange period and provide a written guarantee for repairs and replacements for a given term. I don't think the asymmetrical stitching in the OP's photo will affect the function of the bag, but people don't buy LV for the sole purpose of a functional bag. It should be beautiful too, and the bag in the photo looks sloppy. To me.
Screenshot_20181217-192425.png
Some people will disagree with my opinions and I'm okay with that. I appreciate the diversity of opinions on TPF. The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is when instead of simply disagreeing with my opinion, or stating why they disagree, people make inaccurate ad hominem attacks about me (i.e. that I am a nonbuyer) to make straw man arguments about what I've said (i.e. that my opinions are uninformed because I supposedly am a nonbuyer). It's not friendly, it's not in the spirit of TPF, and it shows a desire to react to posts instead of engaging with the content by using reading comprehension skills.

Last edited:
In an effort to provide accuracy for other members who might be misled, I will add the following:
Louis Vuitton has been opening its factories to the public and to the press for many years. The video I posted—which is an excerpt from CAPITAL, a long-running investigative tv show that airs on French channel M6–is actually from 2016.

There are other points that need to be addressed but it’s late and I have to go to bed because tomorrow is the last day of the semester!!! :lol::happydance::tup:

In an effort to provide accuracy for other members who might be misled, I will add the following:
Louis Vuitton has been opening its factories to the public and to the press for many years. The video I posted—which is an excerpt from CAPITAL, a long-running investigative tv show that airs on French channel M6–is actually from 2016.

There are other points that need to be addressed but it’s late and I have to go to bed because tomorrow is the last day of the semester!!! :lol::happydance::tup:
I actually think you should create a thread about media on LV manufacturing. You seem very knowledgeable and have insider experience, so I think it would be illuminating. Addressing the Romania and India factories would also be interesting and appreciated. Good luck on finals if you're not done with them yet. The ends of semesters are real pains!

Reactions: Dooneysta

I think it's a great idea to gather all of this information in one place.

And I'd just like to add, not necessarily in response to your post in particular, the fact that there still seems to be a great deal of confusion among potential clients even on here where people on average are more interested than the general public , whether LV manufacturing (and many of these similar brands) is more like this than what it is in reality both in terms of scale and "coziness", speaks volumes in itself. It shouldn't be surprising that members on another continent aren't familiar with French (or other non-English) documentaries or unable to visit European factories, so it's a great idea to help spread the word. Probably because this industry is a lot bigger in continental Europe than in the UK or US, there seems to be a more information available in "continental" languages...

Good luck with the end of the semester!

I just bought my neverfull and notice some uneven indenting on the bottom of the bag. This is also my second and I didn’t notice until I went to go look inside today I just got it last weekend. Can anyone give me opinions?
is this normal or being picky?
I went to three stores to look at different bags because there was major stitching off but this one seemed to be the best. on the inside in the spots where you see that’s indented there is bubbling sort of. The fabric comes up in those spots.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 7D2D10E5-6F65-4ED0-AE4A-E1B60271AD0B.jpeg
    7D2D10E5-6F65-4ED0-AE4A-E1B60271AD0B.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 631E5FCB-6A27-45BE-A248-6AA31E3B78C8.jpeg
    631E5FCB-6A27-45BE-A248-6AA31E3B78C8.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 26
I just bought my neverfull and notice some uneven indenting on the bottom of the bag. This is also my second and I didn’t notice until I went to go look inside today I just got it last weekend. Can anyone give me opinions?
is this normal or being picky?
I went to three stores to look at different bags because there was major stitching off but this one seemed to be the best. on the inside in the spots where you see that’s indented there is bubbling sort of. The fabric comes up in those spots.
Thank you!
Any help is so appreciated!