How you shorten the chain/straps thread!

Hi, I just bought a vintage Chanel East West Flap that has this kind of ring inside and I dont understand how to open it to adjust my chain. Could anyone who has this lock/ring help me by explaining how to open it.....sorry but I cannot figure it out.

Thank you so much!!
Apologies for this incredibly late reply, but there's a few videos online on how to open it. You just turn the middle bar!

I love my cf mini sooooo much because it's versatile. I wear it crossbody when I need both my hands. I wear it on the shoulder for most of time. I'm 5'4" and when I wear it on my shoulder it lays under my hip. I read lots of threads about shorten the chain via ribbon, key chain, etc until I saw the clip that someone got from boutique 2 years ago. I messaged all my SAs in US but they never heard of it. Long story short, finally it came to me[emoji813][emoji813][emoji813]. I used it since the day I got it. It's so tiny and helpful.

It connects both chain in the middle and did not touch the flap when I close it. I used it this way mostly.

Or I can also tie one chain but it's more visible when you open the bag. I just leave it on my bag when I don't need it. So far I didn't see any mark made by it.
View attachment 3939700

Does the part that flips in the middle have an open hole on one end of the bar? I'm curious if the ones that some Chanel boutiques in Asia supposedly gave out some years ago have that same open hole in it. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if the ones found on various online shopping sites are the exact same thing those boutiques gave away.

Reactions: AmorNChanel
I would not buy cheap clips! Several years ago a member on this forum teamed with someone who was making them. Everyone rushed to buy them as they are near impossible to get from boutiques. Well because they weren't well made, the clips would open while in use and some ladies ended up with holes in their flaps. BEWARE.

I would not buy cheap clips! Several years ago a member on this forum teamed with someone who was making them. Everyone rushed to buy them as they are near impossible to get from boutiques. Well because they weren't well made, the clips would open while in use and some ladies ended up with holes in their flaps. BEWARE.

This is exactly why I was wondering if the ones from Chanel have the hole at the end of the bar in the middle. That's what made the holes in their flaps. I'm just curious if the ones that were handed out by Chanel are any better, or do they also have this open hole that could possibly cut into leather with pressure.
Photo from Amazon.
612bea32f247adae1d3d88f06e87c2a2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeyLouis

i can't find any posts talking about the holes - do you mind sharing the thread?

Reactions: tweeety