THE Malachite wear and tear one stop shop for information

MYH

O.G.
Nov 28, 2012
Hoping some people can chime in here and help me out?

I love the malachite pieces and own the magic pendant. However, I’d love to get the bracelet too. I’ve heard from a lot of people, even SAs, that it’s a hard stone to take care of. It loses its shine and becomes dull with exposure to water. I know I will splash it when I wash my hands but is it really this sensitive?

I have a friend who says her friend has owned her bracelet for 5+ years and it still looks shiny and she doesn’t baby it.

So I’m not sure what to think?? Can someone add their first-hand experiences here? My magic pendant looks great after one year but of course, it doesn’t get wet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The malachite charm on my Lucky bracelet has gotten dull and lost its shine. I thought I got a bum piece but now I’m thinking it’s likely from the years of wear that you describe. The other pieces (MOP, carnelian, tiger eye) still look new :sad:

The malachite charm on my Lucky bracelet has gotten dull and lost its shine. I thought I got a bum piece but now I’m thinking it’s likely from the years of wear that you describe. The other pieces (MOP, carnelian, tiger eye) still look new :sad:

I’m sorry to hear this!! Yes I think that’s what happened to your malachite leaf. I asked on my instagram too and 90% of responses say that it will become dull if you expose malachite to:

Body oils
Perspiration
Water
Perfume
Lotion

So many enemies!! I’m not sure if I can do this stone in a bracelet!

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear this!! Yes I think that’s what happened to your malachite leaf. I asked on my instagram too and 90% of responses say that it will become dull if you expose makachite to:

Body oils
Perspiration
Water
Perfume
Lotion

So many enemies!! I’m not sure if I can do this stone in a bracelet!
Ugh! I would have to pass for sure. I am not careful at all, especially when washing my hands. So good to know, thanks for asking the question, MYH!

Reactions: BBC
If you treated it as a special occasion piece and babied it maybe it would be ok. But personally one of the things I love about VCA is it’s everyday wearability and that’s how I use it so if it were me I’d pass but others may feel differently.

MYH, I don't have personal experience with malachite but when I purchased my MOP necklace last year in Vegas, I had a discussion about the available stones with the SA and she advised against malachite as my first piece for the reason that it will lose it's shine over time. She didn't want me to be disappointed since it would be my first VCA. I don't recall her saying the stone can be refinished.

This breaks my heart because I REALLY want the necklace and would like to wear it almost daily like my MOP. Everytime I see malachite pieces, my heart skips a beat. I guess I'm going to have to pass...:sad:

Reactions: hopingoneday
I have a malachite bracelet. It still looks perfect since I choose carefully which days to wear - no lotion, not with kids, etc. I don’t like that I have to be so careful with it yet I have so many bracelet that it is not hard to be more careful. It is such a beautiful stone and DH bought it for me, so I am happy to have it in my collection.

i have a 20 motif malachite necklace. bought a few years ago. never had any problems. i also accidentally knock it occasionally on my office desk. it's still in one piece and still as bright as ever.

Reactions: BBC
Do you think earrings in malachite are better? I’ve always wanted a pair of malachite earrings but not sure if it’s worth the money...

No. It is not a good choice as when you put it on, your fingers will grab the malachite and it will get dull over time. There is no way around not touching it. Happened to me. For me, I will never get malachite again (I was going to get a necklace to match). It is such a gorgeous stone and really pops, but it gets dull and changes color really quick. Mine got ugly in about 13 months from the time I bought it. Big big regret.

No. It is not a good choice as when you put it on, your fingers will grab the malachite and it will get dull over time. There is no way around not touching it. Happened to me. For me, I will never get malachite again (I was going to get a necklace to match). It is such a gorgeous stone and really pops, but it gets dull and changes color really quick. Mine got ugly in about 13 months from the time I bought it. Big big regret.

When you say "it got ugly" do you mean it does not look green anymore and lost it's color or that it just lost the luster it had when it was new? I have had mine for many years and it still looks good- I think the striations have faded a bit but the color is still a vibrant green and it the gold is shiny like new. I would love to see how yours "got ugly". I have never hear of this.

Reactions: Lealu