2018 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Ok reveal time!

You knew this was coming. The most perfect Bal small City silver metallic edge ever.

View attachment 4137880

And then....

View attachment 4137881

So I went to see the Dotcom, didn't know it was discontinued. She still wants to make a sale of course, so she showed me some other stuff. I liked this one, tried it on, great. But like at NM, I left to think about which one to get. But I liked them both, the Fendi was a little less expensive than the Bal, and ultimately I decided there wasn't really anything stopping me from getting both. My finances will survive it just fine. So here I am with my first Fendi, a By the Way in grey. And the Bal. Yay!!

Congratulations! Both are very pretty bags.

I’m determined to have everything that needs to go either listed for sale, taken to consignment, or taken to charity today.

I went through my box (which had much more than just bags) and decided there is no way I’m going to be bothered listing something that nets me under $50. The hassle factor isn’t worthy time. So, that pile is going to charity. Then, I photographed the last few items to list this evening.

Along the way, I decided to keep another bags. I had mentioned before that the Fendi is a definite keeper. I’m also keeping the Jimmy Choo Biker bag for now. :biggrin: It’s not my favorite bag but, I do wear and really like it. Plus, I need some kind of largeish bag til I find a good tote like bag.

With all of that, now I need to make the hard call on the last two bags. :panic:I’d love to get your opinions!

Should I sell my Proenza Schouler Small Courier bags? Black? Silver? Both?
View attachment 4137847 View attachment 4137848
(One note: my wardrobe “year” runs Oct 1 - Sept 30 so J can sell anything I don’t want during the busy holiday shopping season. So I only have 2.5 months left to get wear for this year’s evaluation.)

PROS:
• The black is my third most worn bag over the years I’ve been tracking. But, that’s because for a couple of those years, I didn’t have another decent black bag (I’d purged and was searching.) Usage this year has slowed because I now have other black bags I love. Still, I’ve worn it 9 times this year which is well over my minimum 6 wear / year benchmark.
• The silver has also gotten a lot of wear over the years I’ve had it. This year, wear has also slowed for this bag because of other silver bag acquisitions. But, I’ve still worn it 4 times which isn’t bad since I still have 2.5 months to go.
• Both look brand new
• The dual colored chain allows me flexibility with my jewelry choices.
• They could be good bench strength bags.
• I think they’re cute casual bags.
• They have no visible branding so I can wear them everywhere.

CONS:
• I like them, I don’t love them.
• The leather / construction is soft. So, if the bags aren’t full, the top sinks in a bit.
• They can’t be the carefree bags I want because they’d get ruined.
• Even having bought them heavily discounted, I will take huge losses on the sales because they didn’t hold their value.
• Mr. Sparkle has always despised them. He calls the black “homely” and the silver “a tinfoil mess.” :lol: This is rare. He usually loves my bag choices.

If I sell both I won’t have enough to buy any one bag I’m considering. So this would be me tightly curating my collection and pushing myself to upgrade the love or functionality factor when it makes sense.

So thoughts? Votes?
I was surprised to hear you don't love the silver because it looks very Sparkletastic :smile:, but your cons explain it all. Based on your cons list, I vote sell both and enjoy your other bags more while you wait for their replacement.

Congrats on paring down to your most loved bags!

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I actually like them both, but why not try and sell them. If they don’t go then they were meant to stay. I just sent back the outdoor event bag I bought. I was underwhelmed even though the pockets and size were great but every I touched the fabric while I was thinking it over it made a crunching sound. That would have driven me bonkers.
+1
dcooney4 hits it right on the head - I also like them both, but list them both because you don't love them and if they sell - Great! If they don't, its okay too.
@dcooney4 - omg. My face when you said the fabric made a crunchy sound was :wtf:. No. No crunchy sounds. I would hate that too!
@Sparkletastic It sounds like you might be able to justify holding onto them another year based on your criteria, but overall it sounds like their days in your collection are numbered and it's just a matter of now or later. If you hold them another year, it sounds like they probably wouldn't make the cut at that point since you have bags you love for the same function. It seems like holding onto them is just delaying the inevitable.
As paculina said, I think it's just a matter of time. You will be selling these 2. And I agree. I think you're not in love with them. There can always be better alternatives. Forget about the dollars that won't be enough for 1 bag. You've used these 2 a lot. The residual value may not be a lot, but I think it's time to move on (away from these 2). My thoughts on this.:smile:
I vote sell them both; spark!
I was surprised to hear you don't love the silver because it looks very Sparkletastic :smile:, but your cons explain it all. Based on your cons list, I vote sell both and enjoy your other bags more while you wait for their replacement.

Congrats on paring down to your most loved bags!
Thanks for all the insights. Argh! This is hard. I’m going to go ahead and list them. If I need them before they sell, then I’ll know they have a place. If not, then the next person can enjoy them. :flowers:

These bags served me well for the time I owned them which is exactly what a bag should do. I just inspected them again and despite me wearing them, they really do look like new. So two thumbs up for Proenza Schouler quality!

And @msd_bags, I just want to clarify. I definitely wouldn’t expect to get all my money back from the bags. There’s depreciation from time owned plus wear. It just that even after I factor that in, the bags significantly dropped in value.
———
Side note. I just sold a pair of shoes!

Last edited:
We’re in the second half of the year, how is everyone doing goal/resolutions wise?
3 1/2 months ban going strong! I must admit I have received sweet dream bag gifts which has made this so much easier. I just bought a gift for an older relative, a wristlet, that I hope will make bag carrying easier for her, and I'm getting a few more small bag gifts. That doesn't count, right? :smile: How are you doing?

☹️Did not meet:

I haven’t been able to stick to 0 bags this year, but the two I bought are special to me. Birthday bag tbd and a Coach tea rose camera bag in memory of my late aunt.

[emoji28] Somewhat met this goal:
I have used up my 5 freebie purchases, on which will be found on my Stylebook thread.

[emoji4] Goals I met:
Currently all except one bag has met my $75 cpw. I will try to get that last bag, my Aspinal Brit bag, to $75 cpw. But this is one of my bags that no matter the cpw, I would keep it as it was a souvenir from my first trip to London.

All my charms, twillies, and SLGs are under $40 cpw! If I don’t use it right away, I know it was a bad choice. Using it right away gets me to $40 cpw quick.

I am currently at 30 bags, birthday bag will be at 31.

I have been keeping a steady supply of SLGs and charms/luggage tags, but I have been mindful of those purchases. Only ones I love and will use.

Current YTD:
3 SLGs in, 5 SLGs out
1 bag in, 1 bag & 1 luggage out.

2017 year end totals were:
9 SLGs in, 9 SLGs out
9 bags in, 3 bags out.

I am glad to have improved this year! Perhaps next year I could do less in than this year!

Next year I won’t be so heavy focus on cpw, since all my bags are at the goal cost. [emoji4]

And @msd_bags, I just want to clarify. I definitely wouldn’t expect to get all my money back from the bags. There’s depreciation from time owned plus wear. It just that even after I factor that in, the bags significantly dropped in value.
———
Side note. I just sold a pair of shoes!
Congrats on the sale! And maybe it was how I said it earlier, but I did recognize that there will be a significant drop in value. What I wanted to say was, never mind this "loss", you've enjoyed using the bags/the bags have been used a lot and so it is time to move on with these bags. I'm not sure if you use the phrase there, but we say, "charge it to experience!" :smile:

Last edited:
☹️Did not meet:

I haven’t been able to stick to 0 bags this year, but the two I bought are special to me. Birthday bag tbd and a Coach tea rose camera bag in memory of my late aunt.

I have used up my 5 freebie purchases, on which will be found on my Stylebook thread.

[emoji4] Goals I met:
Currently all except one bag has met my $75 cpw. I will try to get that last bag, my Aspinal Brit bag, to $75 cpw. But this is one of my bags that no matter the cpw, I would keep it as it was a souvenir from my first trip to London.

All my charms, twillies, and SLGs are under $40 cpw! If I don’t use it right away, I know it was a bad choice. Using it right away gets me to $40 cpw quick.

I have been keeping a steady supply of SLGs and charms/luggage tags, but I have been mindful of those purchases. Only ones I love and will use.

Current YTD:
3 SLGs in, 5 SLGs out

9 SLGs in, 9 SLGs out
9 bags in, 3 bags out.

I am glad to have improved this year! Perhaps next year I could do less in than this year!

Next year I won’t be so heavy focus on cpw, since all my bags are at the goal cost. [emoji4]
Wow! You really know what you're doing! Happy Birthday! A birthday bag and a memory bag that you love and wear sound like worthy purchases. I'll go check out your stylebook again.

Reactions: bakeacookie
☹️Did not meet:

[emoji4] Goals I met:

Current YTD:
3 SLGs in, 5 SLGs out

9 SLGs in, 9 SLGs out
9 bags in, 3 bags out.

I didn't know you have more SLG out than in. (I know that's your weakness.) Good job!

Ohmigoodness!! :woot:

Yay, yay, yay! I love both of these bags! You will adore your Fendi. It is so easy to wear. No way I could part with mine

And, I so want that exact Bal! It’s the perfect on the go bag.

You said your finances will support this so, with that, I’m thrilled for you. You did great! :tup:
Thanks. :smile: It's fun to see you so excited, lol.

So tell me about the Fendi. Does it scratch? Is it prone to color transfer? Will it be a disaster if it gets rained on or dripped on? How do you clean it? How much do you baby it? I hope not a lot! I'm not a fan of bags that need a lot of babying.

My finances can deal with this pace of 1-2 bags in this $2000ish price point a year. Or maybe 1 $4000ish bag, although I have a harder time with that. And then I buy a few things in the under $500 range during the year. I'd probably start getting into a little more trouble if I tried to go too much beyond that. I also took a cheaper vacation this year - I went to Vegas instead of New York. Cheaper flight, cheaper hotel, shorter stay. Vegas warrants about 3 days max. Definitely not a week. Especially in July. The HEAT, OMG! Anyway, so yeah, it balances out.

Thanks for the tip about donating bags that don't net at least $50. That's a good rule, I think I'm going to start using it. I'm getting tired of waiting for some of these bags to sell.

☹️Did not meet:

[emoji4] Goals I met:

Current YTD:
3 SLGs in, 5 SLGs out

9 SLGs in, 9 SLGs out
9 bags in, 3 bags out.

You have done very well this year. I still have a couple of less expensive bags that are not selling, but other then that I am quite happy where I am in my collection. I still need to get an outdoor event bag as the one I picked up didn't work out. I can't deal with bags that make a crunchy sound.

Congrats on the sale! And maybe it was how I said it earlier, but I did recognize that there will be a significant drop in value. What I wanted to say was, never mind this "loss", you've enjoyed using the bags/the bags have been used a lot and so it is time to move on with these bags. I'm not sure if you use the phrase there, but we say, "charge it to experience!" :smile:
Good points on the loss. I’m just battling with the fact that since I use the bags, is there a place for them in my collection. I’m waffling and thinking perhaps I need to find their replacements before I sell.
Thanks. :smile: It's fun to see you so excited, lol.

So tell me about the Fendi. Does it scratch? Is it prone to color transfer? Will it be a disaster if it gets rained on or dripped on? How do you clean it? How much do you baby it? I hope not a lot! I'm not a fan of bags that need a lot of babying.

My finances can deal with this pace of 1-2 bags in this $2000ish price point a year. Or maybe 1 $4000ish bag, although I have a harder time with that. And then I buy a few things in the under $500 range during the year. I'd probably start getting into a little more trouble if I tried to go too much beyond that. I also took a cheaper vacation this year - I went to Vegas instead of New York. Cheaper flight, cheaper hotel, shorter stay. Vegas warrants about 3 days max. Definitely not a week. Especially in July. The HEAT, OMG! Anyway, so yeah, it balances out.

Thanks for the tip about donating bags that don't net at least $50. That's a good rule, I think I'm going to start using it. I'm getting tired of waiting for some of these bags to sell.
My Fendi is black but I can’t see how it would transfer color to my clothes. The pigmentation of the leather is perfect.

It’s smooth leather so it will scratch but not easily. I’ve worn mine 48 times in a year through moving, shopping, errand running, travel, etc. with zero babying (although I’m careful with my bags. I don’t put them on the floor, etc.) and it has one minor scratch that I see only when I get close enough to do my cleaning and polishing. When I care for it I vacuum out the interior. Then I use Becks or Cadillac cleaner and moisturizer - which ever one I grab from the handbag maintenance kit I put together. Apply, let dry and then polish. Easy peasy. I wipe / polish the hardware with a jeweler’s cloth.

Hope this helps!

Good points on the loss. I’m just battling with the fact that since I use the bags, is there a place for them in my collection. I’m waffling and thinking perhaps I need to find their replacements before I sell.
My Fendi is black but I can’t see how it would transfer color to my clothes. The pigmentation of the leather is perfect.

It’s smooth leather so it will scratch but not easily. I’ve worn mine 48 times in a year through moving, shopping, errand running, travel, etc. with zero babying (although I’m careful with my bags. I don’t put them on the floor, etc.) and it has one minor scratch that I see only when I get close enough to do my cleaning and polishing. When I care for it I vacuum out the interior. Then I use Becks or Cadillac cleaner and moisturizer - which ever one I grab from the handbag maintenance kit I put together. Apply, let dry and then polish. Easy peasy. I wipe / polish the hardware with a jeweler’s cloth.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! Re color transfer, I meant the opposite actually. Is it going to pick up color from my jeans?