Shopping your own wardrobe and/or really sticking to a budget?

Thanks for your input!! I actually don’t own s black bag now that I think about it! I have a tan hobbo style one that I think matches lots of things, but a black bag is on my wish list. Now I carry a diaper bag around, and I’ll get a nicer bag that is toddler friendly in autumn.

Regarding a chanel bag, it doesn’t really appeal to me right now. I don’t think it matches my lifestyle at the moment, and I can’t justify paying for a designer bag with an unstable job and a baby. I think I’ll buy it in a few years, with a more substantial paycheck and less sticky hands. I’d be worried all the time for the bag, and it’s just not how I like to live my life now. Doesn’t make much sense at the moment.

I like what you say about buying preloved though. I like that a bag has history, plus I’ve heard a lot about declining quality in Chanel bags!

Of course don’t rush, the baby is priority right now. I didn’t care about designer bags till my late 30’s, even I could purchase then, but just wasn’t my thing. Just find good quality black bag and you will be fine. Black goes with everything and it’s easy to carry for, especially with a munchkin around [emoji56]
Just look for the sturdier leather, the one that is more durable [emoji6]

Reactions: BagsAndCarbs
Oh my, there’s so much I would like to say about this, but it’s just too much for one post. Just one thing. You’re right. This is the time of clearance on so many levels. Big and little things. So we all might find the perfect pant just as much as some century old conflicts might suddenly be solved.

I know what you mean. It’s all World is changing behind the scenes...And my DH is part of that team. And that’s my life changes and travels in so many delays [emoji20][emoji23]
We have been living in the know for the last 16 years.. , we actually formed us accordingly...
I just hope that you are right and good finally conkers [emoji120][emoji56]

Reactions: bakeacookie
Oh and I have a question for you:
How is your handbag collection? Do you have certain you rely on for certain occasions? Do you think there’s something missing in your collection, and if so, what? Any recommendations to someone who is starting to build their bag collection?

I have a Chanel flap I only carry for special occasions. It’s much too small for my daily life, and I don’t reach for it on weekends.

I’m missing a bag that can be taken safely and worry free on the plane and still transition to being my city bag.

Other than that, I’m good. [emoji4]

For someone starting off:
1) make note of what is actually needed in your life. Work bag? Weekend bag? Kid friendly? Fancy party bags?

2) what are the idea materials and features for each bag you’ll need from #1? Leather? What type of leather? Nylon? Coated canvas? Zipper vs no zip? Claps? Strap drop? Additional straps or adjustable straps? Bag layout?

3) what brand can you comfortably carry? Both price wise and brand wise. Some want flashy brands, some don’t because of where they would carry it.

4) if you find a bag in the exact specifications, do not settle. Don’t go for another brand because it’s seen as better, or someone you admire carries it. Get what makes you happy and fits your lifestyle. It’s YOUR bag.

5) always try the bag on in person with your things in it, if possible. You’ll be able to feel how it is with weight on your shoulders, arm, hand. Comfort is important. If it hurts, you’ll never carry.

6) take your time in your search. Everyone releases new colors and styles every season, so you’ll never be rushed or need to settle.

Thanks for your advice @girleuro @bakeacookie. I’ve narrowed down to two choices at the moment, and thanks to your mention on materials I disregarded leather for now.
-longchamp le pliage
IMG_2212.jpg
-o bag
IMG_2213.jpgIMG_2214.jpgIMG_2215.jpg

Both are still brand bags, which I like, and are good quality. Not leather, tote style, and very VERY kid friendly.
I’m more inclined towards the o bag since it’s italian, more structured, the straps can be very confortable and it’s extremely personalizable. I think i’ll get the main body in black and the straps and interior bag in another color... although the longchamp is a classic you might consider as the plane bag @bakeacookie. The o bag is not for everyone but I love the design, and it looks like it will hold to my child’s standards.
I’ll let you know what I end up choosing!

I love the sandals, are they gucci?

Is there a specific reason you’re doing the outfits? You probably posted it a while ago but I can’t find it
Yep
Oh because I do a pre-meditated rotation and love the mindless ease of not choosing what to wear in the mornings. In September when I mentioned I did it for fall/winter, it was requested that I show my 28 outfits so I did. Then I revamped for spring and now doing a different rotation and I think someone asked to see.

Reactions: Marylin
Thanks for your advice @girleuro @bakeacookie. I’ve narrowed down to two choices at the moment, and thanks to your mention on materials I disregarded leather for now.
-longchamp le pliage
View attachment 4067812
-o bag
View attachment 4067813View attachment 4067815View attachment 4067816

Both are still brand bags, which I like, and are good quality. Not leather, tote style, and very VERY kid friendly.
I’m more inclined towards the o bag since it’s italian, more structured, the straps can be very confortable and it’s extremely personalizable. I think i’ll get the main body in black and the straps and interior bag in another color... although the longchamp is a classic you might consider as the plane bag @bakeacookie. The o bag is not for everyone but I love the design, and it looks like it will hold to my child’s standards.

I should use a LP as a plane bag. I did before but then I thought I needed to “upgrade” everything [emoji849] no I don’t. But I do need a new one. It’s gotten beat up when it became a gym bag.

If the o bag is what calls to you, get it!

Reactions: girleuro
Oh and I have a question for you:
How is your handbag collection? Do you have certain you rely on for certain occasions? Do you think there’s something missing in your collection, and if so, what? Any recommendations to someone who is starting to build their bag collection?
I have a variety of bags. I do rely on certain bags for certain occasions/events.

I know from reading ahead, which bags you are looking at. I am not familiar with O bags, but they look great. I do have Longchamp bags. Two nylon Le Pliage’s and one leather one. Initially I didn’t see what attracted people to them; I do now. They are very functional and don’t have to be babied. I like to use these bags when it is rainy, even the leather one.

Once you decide on the O bag or Longchamp, you can build from there. If you find that you go to certain types of events and don’t have the right bag, you can start looking for one to fill that need. Then you can branch out from there with other styles of bags or colors. I agree with @bakeacookie that when you have a certain bag in mind, don’t settle. When I used to do this, I was usually never happy with the bag I settled for, and ended up buying the one I really wanted anyway. Waste of money and closet space.

I feel like my collection of bags suits my daily life and my style. I don’t feel any urgency to add another right now. I am always looking at bags and clothing though.

Who knows what my next bag will be? [emoji848]
I have a Chanel flap I only carry for special occasions. It’s much too small for my daily life, and I don’t reach for it on weekends.

I’m missing a bag that can be taken safely and worry free on the plane and still transition to being my city bag.

Other than that, I’m good. [emoji4]

For someone starting off:
1) make note of what is actually needed in your life. Work bag? Weekend bag? Kid friendly? Fancy party bags?

2) what are the idea materials and features for each bag you’ll need from #1? Leather? What type of leather? Nylon? Coated canvas? Zipper vs no zip? Claps? Strap drop? Additional straps or adjustable straps? Bag layout?

3) what brand can you comfortably carry? Both price wise and brand wise. Some want flashy brands, some don’t because of where they would carry it.

4) if you find a bag in the exact specifications, do not settle. Don’t go for another brand because it’s seen as better, or someone you admire carries it. Get what makes you happy and fits your lifestyle. It’s YOUR bag.

5) always try the bag on in person with your things in it, if possible. You’ll be able to feel how it is with weight on your shoulders, arm, hand. Comfort is important. If it hurts, you’ll never carry.

6) take your time in your search. Everyone releases new colors and styles every season, so you’ll never be rushed or need to settle.
This is a great post, bake!

I took a screenshot of it. Even though I now think that I know what I want/need in a bag, if in doubt I am going to refer back to it.

Yep
Oh because I do a pre-meditated rotation and love the mindless ease of not choosing what to wear in the mornings. In September when I mentioned I did it for fall/winter, it was requested that I show my 28 outfits so I did. Then I revamped for spring and now doing a different rotation and I think someone asked to see.
Thank you so much for your effort. I’m always looking forward to your outfits, they’re always fun, yet well thought out! Love the red dress!

Reactions: girleuro
-longchamp le pliage
View attachment 4067812
-o bag
View attachment 4067813View attachment 4067815View attachment 4067816

Also like the o bag best, especially with the zipper part! @bakeacookie has nailed it, like always with what to look for and how to get what you want! One more advice: make sure you can put it over your shoulder without any struggle in one swift move and that it doesn’t slip off easily, in case you have to carry bag and baby at the same time. Thinking of it I’d also recommend an outside pocket. I wouldn’t like searching in the depth of my bag to dig out my phone or wallet while trying not to drop my kid. :amuse:

:panic: Ahh! I’m going on a week trip on Saturday and haven’t put any thought into what to pack! I’ve been pulling all nighters twice this week already and haven’t slept much the other nights. There’s a mountain of laundry to tackle and another long day at work ahead tomorrow. These are the days I’m glad I have tons of outfits in the Stylebook app that I know will work. I might end up tossing 5 outfits in a bag just before leaving. I’m much better prepared usually, but I’m just so tired.