Loose stitching - would you be bothered?

I bought a so-black chevron 2.55 reissue in the largest size (227) about a week ago from my local Chanel boutique store and just realised there is a loose stitch. Would you repair this or am I being too picky?? Thanks!!

IMG_1496812365.698949.jpg

(Technically I'm within my 14-day exchange period but my SA checked for a new one during my purchase and told me this was the last so-black 227 in my city (Hong Kong) so I don't have option to exchange and I want to keep the bag as I love it.)

I will share my experience, as it's happening right now. I don't know if others will agree. I too bought a so black bag. a 17S mini. It was my dream bag. I searched everywhere for it. When it came, I was in love. However, there was a loose stitch. I tried to put it out of my mind, but it kept bothering me. It only got worse and that was with its tags on and never used. Just taking it out of the dustbag to admire it made the loose stitch more and more obvious. Just like you, an exchange wasn't possible. It was the last bag. I tortured myself over it. My local boutique said it would take months to repair. I was given the option to return it and I'm doing so. I love the bag, but it doesn't feel special to me now. The problem directly from the start really deflated my experience. But, most people would likely have it repaired and enjoy their bag. I was just too bothered, as it was a very special gift to mark completing my Master's. Very sad. I do hope that you choose what's best for you. I struggled with the decision for quite some time.

Reactions: BagLadyT
I will share my experience, as it's happening right now. I don't know if others will agree. I too bought a so black bag. a 17S mini. It was my dream bag. I searched everywhere for it. When it came, I was in love. However, there was a loose stitch. I tried to put it out of my mind, but it kept bothering me. It only got worse and that was with its tags on and never used. Just taking it out of the dustbag to admire it made the loose stitch more and more obvious. Just like you, an exchange wasn't possible. It was the last bag. I tortured myself over it. My local boutique said it would take months to repair. I was given the option to return it and I'm doing so. I love the bag, but it doesn't feel special to me now. The problem directly from the start really deflated my experience. But, most people would likely have it repaired and enjoy their bag. I was just too bothered, as it was a very special gift to mark completing my Master's. Very sad. I do hope that you choose what's best for you. I struggled with the decision for quite some time.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, that's exactly what I am worried about - the long repair time! I really love the so-black in jumbo/227 size bc I prefer more discreet hardware on the larger bags.

They also had a 2.55 reissue in aged calf with ruthenium hw in the 227 size (not sure if it's still there) but I wanted the so-black more.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, that's exactly what I am worried about - the long repair time! I really love the so-black in jumbo/227 size bc I prefer more discreet hardware on the larger bags.

They also had a 2.55 reissue in aged calf with ruthenium hw in the 227 size (not sure if it's still there) but I wanted the so-black more.

please don't let me 'scare' you away from a repair. It could be much faster in your area. It could have just been the SA I spoke with. Honestly things seem to have quite a lot of variance. I too liked the understated hardware. For me, it's so chic. But, also for me, I do not feel right spending that amount of money for a bag that isn't perfect and I shouldn't have to send it off for weeks and weeks before using it even once. That's just how I feel. But, your bag is so beautiful. You must do what your heart tells you.

Reactions: eckw
if u really like the bag, keep it! personally, i would start using the bag first but i'll make sure my SA is aware of this loose thread and further down the road if it gets worse, then i'll send it in for repair.. i will feel sad if i didn't get a chance to use the bag first.. haha, but it's just me! hope u will enjoy the bag in good health!

Thanks, yes I think I will!! Hopefully it won't take too long!

I'm not sure where you are based, but I have taken in my bags to NYC 57th st boutique while I was on holiday there for stitch fixes and they were done in a couple of days. I also recently bought a pre owned reissue with a snapped stitch which I sent off to my local leather surgeon equivalent last Thursday and the repair was completed yesterday Tuesday (bag en route back to me already so total turnaround within a week!)

Last edited:
if u really like the bag, keep it! personally, i would start using the bag first but i'll make sure my SA is aware of this loose thread and further down the road if it gets worse, then i'll send it in for repair.. i will feel sad if i didn't get a chance to use the bag first.. haha, but it's just me! hope u will enjoy the bag in good health!

Thanks, that's a great suggestion! I'll msg my SA and send her the pic to let her know. Yes, that's exactly it! I want to use my bag now and the loose stitch doesn't deter me from using it but I don't want it to get worse either. Thanks so much!

I'm not sure where you are based, but I have taken in my bags to NYC 57th st boutique while I was on holiday there for stitch fixes and they were done in a couple of days. I also recently bought a pre owned reissue with a snapped stitch which I sent off to my local leather surgeon equivalent last Thursday and the repair was completed yesterday Tuesday (bag en route back to me already so total turnaround within a week!)

I'm in HK and have never needed to repair anything from Chanel before. (I only have a tiny collection of 3 bags and one slg [emoji4]) If it really only takes a couple of days, then I don't mind parting with it for repair. Will check with my SA to see what she says.

I would've done the same thing. Especially this being your celebratory gift for such an accomplishment! :heart:

Reactions: Rachel
I had a loose stitch in my jumbo, I snipped it myself (not suggesting you do that btw). This was over 2 years ago. The bag is fine. Basically this wouldn't bother me but if it does you send it back or get it repaired.

Reactions: OCMomof3
I had a loose stitch in my jumbo, I snipped it myself (not suggesting you do that btw). This was over 2 years ago. The bag is fine. Basically this wouldn't bother me but if it does you send it back or get it repaired.

Haha, I was tempted to snip it off too! Either that or work the loose stitch back inside the edge. I held back as this is the most expensive bag in my Chanel collection!

Hi, I have a jumbo with loose stitches as well and wondering if you can share the cost of repair from leather surgeons? Thanks so much