Spironolactone for acne questions

Sassys

Please get some Common Sense
O.G.
May 14, 2006
Lately my skin has been going CRAZY, and my doc just prescribed this (50 mg a day).

What are your experiences on this? Some say it is a miracle drug and some hate it. I've been on it a week, and feel its getting worst. Share your stories and dosage.

I've been on it (25 mg) for about 4.5 years for hypertension. My skin has been MUCH drier since I've been on it, but I honestly thought it was due to another medicine. I had never heard of it being rx'd for skin issues.

When you say it's getting worse, are you having breakouts?

I've been on it (25 mg) for about 4.5 years for hypertension. My skin has been MUCH drier since I've been on it, but I honestly thought it was due to another medicine. I had never heard of it being rx'd for skin issues.

When you say it's getting worse, are you having breakouts?

Yes, its prescribed for acne. I have been on it for a week. Lately I've been breaking out a lot. Since taking this drug, I have broken out even more on my jaw and chin. My skin is also very dry.

The use of spironolactone for hormonal acne in women

Spironolactone can be prescribed off label to treat hormonal acne in adult women, according to Emmy Graber M.D., M.B.A., a dermatologist based in Boston, Mass. She is assistant professor in dermatology at the Boston University School of Medicine in Boston, Mass.

READ: Oral contraceptives effective for long-term acne treatment

"There is no FDA indication for spironolactone [to treat acne]," Dr. Graber says. "However, a lot of practicing dermatologists have found that it works quite well for certain types of acne. I think [spironolactone] is very misunderstood, and it's an incredibly effective medicine, particularly for adult women with hormonal acne."

Because of the absence of an FDA indication for acne, Dr. Graber says, physicians and physician extenders are hesitant to prescribe spironolactone, an aldosterone antagonist that is indicated to treat sodium retention associated with congestive heart failure, essential hypertension, and hypokalemia.

"It is an anti-androgen, so it can't be used in men, but it can be used in women of any age. Women who have adult acne that is primarily located in the lower half of the face and on the neck, and women who have flares [of acne] just before or after their menstrual period, find it particularly useful," Dr. Graber explains.

In those patients, androgens appear to have a strong impact on sebaceous gland activity, and the spironolactone blocks the effect of those androgens, Dr. Graber says.

READ: Going beyond clinical guidelines for acne treatment

Dr. Graber says that oral contraceptives "can mitigate some of the side effects of spironolactone," such as irregular menses or breast tenderness that can present while patients are taking spironolactone.
http://dermatologytimes.modernmedic...s/news/use-spironolactone-hormonal-acne-women

Last edited:
miracle for me. i do 25 mg twice a day. my face pretty much completely cleared up (maybe a pimple a month) coming from always having a couple. BCP made almost no difference, topical no difference. derm suggested accutane, i said i wanted to try spiro first. i also take fish oil + d3 and chelated zinc, which i think also helps some. spiro made the most difference.

miracle for me. i do 25 mg twice a day. my face pretty much completely cleared up (maybe a pimple a month) coming from always having a couple. BCP made almost no difference, topical no difference. derm suggested accutane, i said i wanted to try spiro first. i also take fish oil + d3 and chelated zinc, which i think also helps some. spiro made the most difference.

Did it get worst before it got better? How long before you saw results? I also take Omega 3 and Vitamin E tablets.

My skin has always been pretty good but it went crazy about a year ago. Really deep, painful acne all over my cheeks. I did not suffer from severe acne in my teens and I could not understand why this randomly occurred in my late 20s.The dermatologist prescribed spironolactone and I swear it all cleared up in two months. I don't even take it anymore but it must have triggered something to help clear my skin because I did not change my facial routine. I did not experience any noticeable adverse effects either.

I have been on the meds for 2 weeks now and it makes you thirsty as hell and I pee all day lol. I had 30min blue light therapy with my esthetician last night and HOLY COW!! Woke up pimple free!!

I take spiro off and on depending on break outs/ Acne it works I take it aggressively 3 pills twice a day pills, this only depending on my level of breakouts !!! The pill works but it does have side effects mines being missing my regular menstruation (I recommend short term use depending on breakouts

I take spiro off and on depending on break outs/ Acne it works I take it aggressively 3 pills twice a day pills, this only depending on my level of breakouts !!! The pill works but it does have side effects mines being missing my regular menstruation (I recommend short term use depending on breakouts

My doc saw yesterday, that I was breaking out the beginning of my cycle (which should not happen if its working) and increased me to 100mg

My doc saw yesterday, that I was breaking out the beginning of my cycle (which should not happen if its working) and increased me to 100mg

Are you experiencing any dryness on that high of a dosage? I never knew of the correlation of skin and this med until this thread, so now I've realized the reason for this extreme dry, flaky skin I've suddenly got. I actually assumed my skin did a 180 due to age, but I'd appreciate any tips you have on combating the dryness, if you're experiencing it too.

Are you experiencing any dryness on that high of a dosage? I never knew of the correlation of skin and this med until this thread, so now I've realized the reason for this extreme dry, flaky skin I've suddenly got. I actually assumed my skin did a 180 due to age, but I'd appreciate any tips you have on combating the dryness, if you're experiencing it too.

YES!!!! OMG, its so annoying. I am constantly checking the mirror at work, so I don't freak anyone out with all the peeling around my nose. Also the higher dosage has killed my appetite, and I don't pee as often as the lower dosage. Weird.

I've been on 25mg twice a day for a year now. It's been a miracle for me. Over the last 15 years I've been on everything, even Accutane and nothing worked long term.

I've been on 25mg twice a day for a year now. It's been a miracle for me. Over the last 15 years I've been on everything, even Accutane and nothing worked long term.

On 100mg and it is very slowly working. One pimple disappear and the next morning a new painful one appears. Also I noticed on the higher dosage I don't pee as often. I would think a higher dosage would make me pee more. So far I am not liking it. I was on 50mg for 30 days and now almost 30days on 100mg with very little change.