Vintage Dooney & Bourke

I have the AWL Cavalry Pouchette in all black. This is the oldest Dooney in my collection and one of my favorite crossbody bags. This bag is pre-tag, manufactured sometime in the 80’s or early 90’s. The quality of the leather is outstanding.
View attachment 3644948

VERY pretty in the all black! Hmm, now that you mention it my bag doesn't have any tag inside of it either. I didn't know these bags were that old...lol!

Hello dooney ladies. I've got a dooney mystery I'm trying to solve. I have many awl drawstrings and this one has the tan leather trim on the bottom of the bag. Does anyone know more info on when they started to do it and for how long? I don't see it very often. View attachment 3651744

I think mine (passed down from my mom) is probably from the same line... but I don't know what it's called...db.jpg

Reactions: DooneyGal
I think mine (passed down from my mom) is probably from the same line... but I don't know what it's called...View attachment 3653998

Thanks for replying! So...if I remember my Dooney education correctly (thanks @eyeoftheleopard!), your bag with the leather trim that encases the duck patch, was produced after the initial AWL designs. It's more in the 90's than the 80's?

Come to think of it, maybe the trim on my drawstring is a predecessor of the design of you bag??? Just totally guessing here. Let's see if the expert ladies can validate my musings.

Thanks for replying! So...if I remember my Dooney education correctly (thanks @eyeoftheleopard!), your bag with the leather trim that encases the duck patch, was produced after the initial AWL designs. It's more in the 90's than the 80's?

Come to think of it, maybe the trim on my drawstring is a predecessor of the design of you bag??? Just totally guessing here. Let's see if the expert ladies can validate my musings.

Now that you mention it, I can totally see it being before my bag. Even the belt buckle is a different shape.

Hello dooney ladies. I've got a dooney mystery I'm trying to solve. I have many awl drawstrings and this one has the tan leather trim on the bottom of the bag. Does anyone know more info on when they started to do it and for how long? I don't see it very often. View attachment 3651744
I think mine (passed down from my mom) is probably from the same line... but I don't know what it's called...View attachment 3653998

I have a few old catalog images that might shed some light on this. Sorry some of them are so tiny!

Awwlibrary, your Drawstring bag with the tan trim around the bottom is shown as style #158 in the first picture, from a 1996 catalog:

The second two pictures show applecidered's Vintage Drawstring, style #758 - tiny pic from the same 1996 catalog, and then a (gorgeous!) 1995 print ad.

Attachments

• AWL2.JPG
    AWL2.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 651
  • AWL3.JPG
    AWL3.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 640
  • 1995 British Tan Vintage Drawstring ad.JPG
    1995 British Tan Vintage Drawstring ad.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 660