Vintage Dooney & Bourke

I have a few old catalog images that might shed some light on this. Sorry some of them are so tiny!

Awwlibrary, your Drawstring bag with the tan trim around the bottom is shown as style #158 in the first picture, from a 1996 catalog:

The second two pictures show applecidered's Vintage Drawstring, style #758 - tiny pic from the same 1996 catalog, and then a (gorgeous!) 1995 print ad.

Wow, that's so awesome you have old catalogs! Thanks for looking them up for us. Are you a catalog collector or just happened to keep your old paper items? I have a bad tendency to throw out a lot of my paper stuff (magazines, newspapers, books, etc.) since everything is digital nowadays.

Wow, that's so awesome you have old catalogs! Thanks for looking them up for us. Are you a catalog collector or just happened to keep your old paper items? I have a bad tendency to throw out a lot of my paper stuff (magazines, newspapers, books, etc.) since everything is digital nowadays.
I don't have the paper catalogs, just digital images that I've collected from various online sources such as eBay and this forum. I belive it was @eyeoftheleopard who shared the 1996 catalog pages showing all the styles.

I don't have the paper catalogs, just digital images that I've collected from various online sources such as eBay and this forum. I belive it was @eyeoftheleopard who shared the 1996 catalog pages showing all the styles.

Omg how did I miss this the last couple days? It is so awesome to see these catalogs! Amazing that both of these are produced around the same time around 20 years ago. These puppies HOLD UP!!

Reactions: Catbird9
Where can I find directions for dunking?

Here's one, by dgphoto, for a Florentine, posted on the Dooney Rehab thread:
Dooney rehab thread

And mine, for an All Weather Leather Equestrian, posted on the Coach Rehab and Rescue thread:
Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

If you'd like to post pictures (on either of the above threads) of the bag you're thinking of dunking, we might be able to offer specific advice and suggestions. Somewhat different techniques apply, depending on the type of leather and any issues the bag might have.:flowers:

Reactions: Awwlibrary
Here's one, by dgphoto, for a Florentine, posted on the Dooney Rehab thread:
Dooney rehab thread

And mine, for an All Weather Leather Equestrian, posted on the Coach Rehab and Rescue thread:
Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

If you'd like to post pictures (on either of the above threads) of the bag you're thinking of dunking, we might be able to offer specific advice and suggestions. Somewhat different techniques apply, depending on the type of leather and any issues the bag might have.:flowers:
I'm so sorry for my delay in replying, it's been a circus this week! I don't have a bag in mind yet, but have been looking at some bargain purchases in hopes of growing my collection. The thing I'm most concerned with is darkened handles. I'll check out the rehab thread, thanks- hadn't found it yet! I don't want to waste money on even an inexpensive bag that can't be cleaned. Thank you again!!

Hii.. I built up an interest towards drawstring line and I found this one on my local online shop, I am very tempted to make an offer but I am not quite convinced with this bag.. Most AWL shoulder drawstring have padded strap (leather mix with AWL) which is narrow from the beginning and gets wider at the middle where it sits on shoulder.. But this one has wide leather (no AWL) that has same width from the beginning to the middle..

I've searched and searched on the internet, and the nearest model I could find is on one of Etsy shop (on image #2). But it was not the exact same model since it has braided drawstring and the bag being sold at my local online shop has the smooth drawstring..

Does anyone know about this model? It seems authentic at a glance, any opposite opinion? Thank u before for your anwers.

Attachments

• IMG_9372.jpg
    IMG_9372.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_9374.JPG
    IMG_9374.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 533
Hii.. I built up an interest towards drawstring line and I found this one on my local online shop, I am very tempted to make an offer but I am not quite convinced with this bag.. Most AWL shoulder drawstring have padded strap (leather mix with AWL) which is narrow from the beginning and gets wider at the middle where it sits on shoulder.. But this one has wide leather (no AWL) that has same width from the beginning to the middle..

I've searched and searched on the internet, and the nearest model I could find is on one of Etsy shop (on image #2). But it was not the exact same model since it has braided drawstring and the bag being sold at my local online shop has the smooth drawstring..

Does anyone know about this model? It seems authentic at a glance, any opposite opinion? Thank u before for your anwers.
It seems authentic, but it would be nice to see the inside of the bag to confirm. Measurements are helpful too.

I found a similar model (smooth drawstring, but padded strap) here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/459336012/rare-style-dooney-bourke-all-weather?ref=shop_home_active_14

There are a couple of things I noticed about the bag you're asking about:
1. The edges of the tan leather trim, and the embossed duck emblem on the front of the bag, appear to be white, as if the bag has been painted or refinished.
2. There should be two "keepers" on the strap, one on each side, made of leather or brass. These slide up and down and keep the strap aligned. These are missing from the bag you asked about.

Reactions: Qwerty888
Hi Catbird9, thanks for your insight.. Your saying about the edges of tan leather trim is very precious, I missed that one.. And the keepers, although it seems not vital , if it's missing then our life gets little messier..

The drawstring on Etsy you showed is quite similar esp on the 'banded bottom' made of tan leather, I did not realize before. Oot, I had communication with the seller about that drawstring but end up having another bag.. Quite a helpful seller..

Back to this "mystery white drawstring", I decide not to pursue it anymore because the impression of re-painting although it is authentic.. Thanks for saving me :smile: Back to hunting game.

Possibly they put another strap from a different bag on? I used to have this style bucket bag, and I've only ever seen the padded strap or the thin strap for the mini version...