Cracking canvas is "normal wear and tear"

O.G.
Mar 14, 2012
Brought a very lightly used purse in pristine condition to the store today. The canvas near the zipper started to crack in one place. The rep said it is "normal wear and tear" and can not be repaired. I pointed out the bag looks almost brand new but she replied it was normal.
Disappointing.

Try taking it to a different store if you have one near by, sometimes it's just a matter of who you see. How old is it? Do you have pics?
I had the receipt with me but she did not ask for it. The bag is a few years old but I did not use it until recently. It was a "push" present and not kids friendly design. I love it and very sad as the cracking will get much worse. It is called Portobello and there are many threads about them cracking at exact same location. But she said they do not have issues..

Brought a very lightly used purse in pristine condition to the store today. The canvas near the zipper started to crack in one place. The rep said it is "normal wear and tear" and can not be repaired. I pointed out the bag looks almost brand new but she replied it was normal.
Disappointing.
How old is the bag? Do you have any pictures you are willing to share with us?
Since you have the receipt, I assume that you are the original owner of the bag (and that's always a big plus). Therefore, I second what @Pebli suggested, which is to take the bag to another boutique. In case that's not possible, you can always return to the same location and ask a different SA to examine your bag. It's worth the hassle.
Unfortunately, whether you have been using the bag or not is somewhat irrelevant: if the bag is older, it is unlikely that Louis Vuitton will exchange the item or offer a credit (as you know cracked canvas cannot be repaired). But in some cases, we have seen exceptions. So try again. If the damage on your bag is ruled "normal wear and tear" a second time, at least you will know where you stand.
Good luck!

Reactions: Sonmi999 and Pebli
Cracking on these new bags is never normal unless you destroy bags. You should try speaking with a manager as well or another store as suggested. This is why I LVoe relationships. I work with the same person every time even though I know the entire store. I also KNOW the manager at my store so if I ever have an issue I can see her instead. She should have looked at the overall condition and been able to tell it's not misused....or normal.

How old is the bag? Do you have any pictures you are willing to share with us?
Since you have the receipt, I assume that you are the original owner of the bag (and that's always a big plus). Therefore, I second what @Pebli suggested, which is to take the bag to another boutique. In case that's not possible, you can always return to the same location and ask a different SA to examine your bag. It's worth the hassle.
Unfortunately, whether you have been using the bag or not is somewhat irrelevant: if the bag is older, it is unlikely that Louis Vuitton will exchange the item or offer a credit (as you know cracked canvas cannot be repaired). But in some cases, we have seen exceptions. So try again. If the damage on your bag is ruled "normal wear and tear" a second time, at least you will know where you stand.
Good luck!
However if I recall correctly the bag has a very prominent and well-known design flaw that resulted in nearly all Portobellos being replaced on the spot regardless of age.

Reactions: PinkInTheBlue
Thank you for all your advice. The bag is 4 years old, it was recently discontinued and she did not ask for my receipt and when it was purchased. I am the original owner and all together used it maybe 2 months combined at the most, I had babies and used other bags :smile:
It is in pristine condition and she did inspect it. I asked her to take pictures and send to quality control, which she agreed to do but said it was hard to capture in picture. She said they would call only if something can be done, but based on her experience with this bag it is normal wear and tear. I take very good care of my bags and this was definitely not caused by me. Even if you google "portobello cracking" you would see Tons of cracks at the exact same spot. I was under impression they stand behind knows issues, but she said there are no issues.

Thank you for all your advice. The bag is 4 years old, it was recently discontinued and she did not ask for my receipt and when it was purchased. I am the original owner and all together used it maybe 2 months combined at the most, I had babies and used other bags :smile:
It is in pristine condition and she did inspect it. I asked her to take pictures and send to quality control, which she agreed to do but said it was hard to capture in picture. She said they would call only if something can be done, but based on her experience with this bag it is normal wear and tear. I take very good care of my bags and this was definitely not caused by me. Even if you google "portobello cracking" you would see Tons of cracks at the exact same spot. I was under impression they stand behind knows issues, but she said there are no issues.
Well, the SA you talked to may not be aware. Also, it is good news that the SA took pictures, etc. That proves that she wanted to help you. So let's wait and see what happens when you hear from the boutique next.

Well, the SA you talked to may not be aware. Also, it is good news that the SA took pictures, etc. That proves that she wanted to help you. So let's wait and see what happens when you hear from the boutique next.
She is one of the managers and sounded very discouraging. Said that she had to deal with a lot of Portobellos and it was always ruled as normal wear and tear. And they will call Only if something can be done :smile:

However if I recall correctly the bag has a very prominent and well-known design flaw that resulted in nearly all Portobellos being replaced on the spot regardless of age.
"a very prominent and well-known design flaw" + "replaced on the spot regardless of age"
I don't think anyone on TPF has any objective data to back up these two claims. How many Portobellos have been sold and how many have been returned? Who knows, right? Could Portobellos show cracking more often than other bags? Maybe... but what is the likelihood that this particular SA has handled a Portobello return? Probably never.

:biggrin: Also, why is this a "design flaw" and not a "more delicate" bag? :biggrin:

*** Obviously I stand corrected - see OP's latest comments. ***