Do they really skin the snake ALIVE to make the Python Silverado???

I think the skin looks much nicer on the python, not everyone's opinion though i know.

just cancelled my bid on python wallet, i have no problem using leather as i eat meat, there are plenty of animals raised for meat and skins so i feel some exotic skins are just unecessary, if they eat the python fine, not skinned alive though

I agree with everyone...this thread makes me kinda woozy! In the fall of 2005, my hubby bought me a Prada metallic gold leather bag with mink trim as a suprise gift. I think he noticed when I saw it on SAKS website & drooled at the color, only to call & find they had all sold. He went on the hunt & found one while on a business trip...I was so excited at my "memento" of his trip!

Before I could even use it, I happened to mention it to a friend who told me to look up how the minks are savagely killed on the mink farms. I was horrified to learn how they shock them while THEY ARE ALIVE :sad:
We called & got the return address to that Neiman's & needless to say, my bag found another happy home. She was a beauty but all I could think about was how one of the articles discussed the animals bleeding from their mouth during the process. It's just disgusting & inhumane.

This past Christmas, my father picked out a gorgeous fox handbag as part of my moms "Santa". Mom called & said I know I don't want to know, but what do you think happened to this poor animal? Well, according to PETA & Prada, foxes suffer anal electrocution. ENOUGH SAID!!!

I've always admired the snakeskin Chloe's & don't have quite as much of a softspot for furless creatures, but skinning alive is beyond animal cruelty.

I wonder if Pamella has decided what to do...the bag is truly beyong stunning. Just seems like they could find a way to be humane about the entire process!!!

I don't mean to ruffle a lot of feathers but I wonder how many people know what a chicken farm looks like. I live in a big hunting and farming area, I actually am friends with a woman who runs a chicken farm with her husband and the inlaws of one of my best friends own a cattle ranch. Really, there is nothing humane about the food we eat. Chicken farms have thousands of chickens housed together in coops with barely room to move and are kept alive basically for their eggs and for them to be fattened up to kill for food. The cattle ranches are nicer in that the have room to graze and mill around, but they're killed for meat to, of course. And these are the small family owned farms that raise their own organic items. These aren't the big industry farms where I'm sure conditions are worse.

It's also a big hunting area. I've eaten deer (venison), elk, rabbit, and turned down moose but know people who have eaten it. These animals are food as much as any other type of meat, but somehow it's become less politically correct to eat them eevn though they are not endangered or extinct.

I have no problem when people are vegan for ethical reasons, or refuse to eat red meat because they think it is unhealthy, but I get offended when people tell me I'm unethical for carrying a python bag when they are more than happy to carry a leather one.

While I realize that's my own emotions I feel the need to get that out there.

By the way I am in no means offended by the original poster - if Python upsets you that is fine to return it. You are certainly allowed to be upset and feel bad about the pythons. I have issue with the fact that we python-wearers have been called "unethical".

I just read this thread ... OMG, the python silverado is one of my most favorite bags of all time! I feel so bad that the snake is actually skinned alive!:wtf: The python silverado is one of my HGs, now I'd feel too guilty!

i'm a total hypocrite because we are pretty much vegetarians at home (we do serve fish and if i'm a guest almost always eat what's been prepared by my hosts)... and i have worn leather shoes and bags (and pants and skirts in my younger and hotter days) and recently bought not just one but two python bags that i love...and pamella of course you need to decide what is right for you but before you return the bag you might want to find out if python skin is always, um, collected this way... perhaps it doesn't happen all the time? (at least that's what i'll be telling myself tonight after reading this thread)!

Just a heads up for people really concerned about food production - one of the best things to do to combat cruelty in food production is to buy locally produced meats and eggs. You can actually visit the farms in some cases and see the animals and how they are being cared for. It's a really easy thing for me to do in Illinois, I'm guessing that it's a little bit harder in certain areas of the country/world! But there's a growing market for meat and animal products that are produced in humane ways - a little hunting around should allow you to find humane farmers and dairy producers.

because they are skinning it ALIVE, while breathing its breathing and feeling every inch of the blade- that is the difference.
No actually, there is not much difference. The snake is skinned alive, and the lamb also suffers quite a bit. When a lamb is killed, it is also usually shocked or hit on the head, and then it is cut at the throat while it is alive and then hung upside down and allowed to slowly bleed to death. This clears the body of blood and the meat remains tender. So yes, the lamb is also breathing for quite some time, and according to some sources, they may also be boiled alive to get their skin.

If tranquiliser is used on these animals, it may not be fit for human consumption (because remember, they are meant for the meat industry first), and I believe if the lamb is killed fast, hormones might be released by the body which toughens the body and it will also be harder to drain blood. It's the same for chickens I believe, and just about any other animal we eat.

Ive actually seen a chicken being slaughtered on a chicken farm when I was 5. They grabbed the chicken, put it against a stone on the ground and chopped off its head. But before they could go hang it and bleed it, it somehow managed to get up and run aimlessly for a few seconds. It even managed to get some blood on my socks. Yeah, I guess I'm one of the few people who have managed to see a headless chicken run.

The word in the title, terrifies me.

What I did find really upsetting a few days ago, on the Chloe site, in its new fall range, there is a bag made from elephant hide!!!!

If ivory is banned, surely elephant hide should be too.

WHAT!!!???
Are you absolutely sure you read that right? Every part of an elephant is ILLEGAL to buy/sell. Chloe would be violating international laws if this were true. OMG I would have to sell all my Chloes if this is true. :crybaby:

PythonSilverado.jpg

but Pam.... your silverado is so gorgeous!!:girlsigh: Beautiful to look at:heart:
I also love to ogle at hmwe46's 04 Cognac python silverado.
But one thing for sure, I can never bring myself to touch the scaley part of the bag... :Push:
I'm not really scared of snakes but I am scared to touch the scales ... don't know why...:sweatdrop:

If I'd ever be the owner of a python silverado, it will be displayed on the shelf and not used by me :huh:

I don't mean to ruffle a lot of feathers but I wonder how many people know what a chicken farm looks like. I live in a big hunting and farming area, I actually am friends with a woman who runs a chicken farm with her husband and the inlaws of one of my best friends own a cattle ranch. Really, there is nothing humane about the food we eat. Chicken farms have thousands of chickens housed together in coops with barely room to move and are kept alive basically for their eggs and for them to be fattened up to kill for food. The cattle ranches are nicer in that the have room to graze and mill around, but they're killed for meat to, of course. And these are the small family owned farms that raise their own organic items. These aren't the big industry farms where I'm sure conditions are worse.

It's also a big hunting area. I've eaten deer (venison), elk, rabbit, and turned down moose but know people who have eaten it. These animals are food as much as any other type of meat, but somehow it's become less politically correct to eat them eevn though they are not endangered or extinct.

I have no problem when people are vegan for ethical reasons, or refuse to eat red meat because they think it is unhealthy, but I get offended when people tell me I'm unethical for carrying a python bag when they are more than happy to carry a leather one.

While I realize that's my own emotions I feel the need to get that out there.

i agree with what you say, chickens and other animals are kept in appaling conditions but we as a consumer as mentioned by vanorj9 have a choice, we can buy meat that has been raised ethically and humanely slaughtered. free range eggs etc.. although my feelings about skinning animals alive are very strong and against this practice i would never push my views on to some one else, make them aware maybe, but i wouldn't accuse some one of beiing un ethical if they choose to carry these bags.

well, ladies, appalling or not, the only way to hurt that inhumane industry is NOT to buy into that genre of bags: skin.

by the way, inhumane? duck liver pate. you want something to scream about? google it. its sad but true ladies. this is the world we live and what kind of treatement we support for our animals!