the Angelina Jolie thread

I'll get back to you on the first one - my bf (soon to be husband :heart: ) works in the field and has data on this.

And yes, no one is denying that Brad is a humanitarian too. He's done a lot of work in New Orleans, among other places.

Thanks! I'd love to know, as a former political scientist. Also, congrats!! :heart::heart:

It's not Angie's job to stop poverty and wars, unless the govts in the world want to stop the wars, they will always be there. Her job is to make the ordinary people, like us help, give hands and donate and bring the press to the locations. Without her visiting these places, no one would know how the refugees real conditions are. We'd all be busy talking about Taylor and Kanye's beef and look away from the results of the wars caused by greedy b*stards. Do you think people would care if it was Angela Merkel or Hillary ******* who are busy visiting the refugees?

Basically the below post sums up my opinion...

But do any of us actually care more because Angelina went and opened our eyes?? 99% of us are still expending more energy talking about Kanye than actually doing anything about refugees' quality of life. We collectively do look away from the results of wars every single day.

(This is not meant to be snarky, though it sounds that way. )

I'm not an admirer of Angelina's humanitarian work. If I had to choose something to admire about her I'd say adopting children in need is much more admirable. I may be cynical and think it's more about the pageantry than about the kids' welfare, but at least it's actually doing something.

Count me in that group of people. The reality is that the people who cared or paid attention before AJ, will always care. She won't make anyone just now open their eyes to what is going on in the world. These issues have been around before her and they'll continue to exist despite her "efforts", IMO.

But that's exactly the point! She's bringing attention to her cause. Without press no one notice and no one cares. Don't you understand? And it's probably not her who call the press, but the UN/UNICEF.

Read this: http://www.unhcr.org/special-envoy-angelina-jolie-pitt.html

That means she's obliged to actually call the press to follow her visiting the refugee camps as part of her job from UNHCR. Reading your replies shows me that you don't understand how things work for the UN/UNICEF/UNHCR ambassadors.

First you say its probably not her who is calling the press than you say she is obligated to and I'm the one who doesn't understand how it works...