Over Birkins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakebagbuster

Mar 6, 2016
When I didn't have it, I wanted it, but now with the resale market thriving and as such, how accessible it all is, I am "over" Birkins.

All I need to complete this entire exercise is a 40CM Himalaya Birkin with Diamonds then I am done. I was at the latest Auction in Hong Kong when it went for $300,000 odd - but this was not only the wrong size but polished far too vigorously.

Yes, I am a guy.

IMG-20160531-WA0044.jpg

Reactions: danniela
I don't think I'd spend 250-300K for a bag I was "over". I think perhaps with social media and people being more public about their Hermes bags, they seem more accessible but I don't think in reality they are nearly as out there as we see in modern real time media.

I can see you're a newer member to the forum, welcome! You're likely to find a lot of people here still waiting for their first Birkins and many that don't care for them at all. I look forward to seeing some of your collection if you care to share!

I don't think I'd spend 250-300K for a bag I was "over". I think perhaps with social media and people being more public about their Hermes bags, they seem more accessible but I don't think in reality they are nearly as out there as we see in modern real time media.

I can see you're a newer member to the forum, welcome! You're likely to find a lot of people here still waiting for their first Birkins and many that don't care for them at all. I look forward to seeing some of your collection if you care to share!

Definitely! To this point, I would see posts where people would say that they didn't want to get a Cartier bracelet because they were so mainstream. Not where I live. :biggrin: Social Media is a little misleading in some ways. :P Also I think that is why there is "Wildlife Sightings" (cool to see Hermes being worn by all types of people), I don't see people dripping in Hermes everywhere although I understand it is more accessible.

Definitely! To this point, I would see posts where people would say that they didn't want to get a Cartier bracelet because they were so mainstream. Not where I live. :biggrin: Social Media is a little misleading in some ways. :P

absolutely, I actually had the same thought about a Cartier bracelet I hope to get for my 40th in a few months but then realized I never see them in the wild-like ever and I live in a big NE USA city with lots of wealthy areas. I see H bags in only two places, a fancy mall and an expensive condo filled neighborhood. But on tPF or IG they're everywhere.

We see lots of H because we're here, and likely follow fashion on IG and other social media etc. Combine that with Google's robots selecting search results based on interests/history/patterns and other user data and it's going to be a flood of similar imagery and news.

When I didn't have it, I wanted it, but now with the resale market thriving and as such, how accessible it all is, I am "over" Birkins.

All I need to complete this entire exercise is a 40CM Himalaya Birkin with Diamonds then I am done. I was at the latest Auction in Hong Kong when it went for $300,000 odd - but this was not only the wrong size but polished far too vigorously.

Yes, I am a guy.

View attachment 3434451

I think because of the Internet...everything seems accessible. that is the beauty of the Internet. You can find things fast! It's as simple as a click of a button. That is the great thing of technology. But finding it and actually ordering it are two different things. also, out of billions, it is probably less than 10% of the population that even *knows* about Birkins...much less owns.

But at the end of the day, if you want something truly rare, you need to just design your own handbag [emoji4].

Did you purchase that Himalayan? If you can spend that much on a bag, you can definitely design your own bag and have someone make it for you.

Reactions: Israeli_Flava
I'm so glad you're over them!! I wish more people would think like u so there will be MORE FOR ME. hahahahahah (But I definitely don't buy on the resale market and DEFINITELY don't view the fun I have collecting my bags as an "exercise")
Mrs O, Nikki and Fineprint... I totally agree with you ladies 100000000%
We are saturated with images all day everyday but IRL, hardly anyone knows what kind of bag I'm wearing or my scarves.... the only thing they constantly recognize is the belt. But who cares? I don't wear anything for them. Honestly, I looooooove the brand. Every department... so trendy or not, I'm in.

Last edited:
I'm so glad you're over them!! I wish more people would think like u so there will be MORE FOR ME. hahahahahah
We are saturated with images all day everyday but IRL, hardly anyone knows what kind of bag I'm wearing or my scarves.... the only think they constantly recognize is the belt. Honestly, I looooooove the brand. Every department... so trendy or not, I'm in.
We are two :smile:))

There have been members who have said they no longer carry their Birkins because they appear ubiquitous, coveted by people they're not keen on with and/or have become too recognisable, you can find whole threads about it. For many Birkins are simply too heavy and now go for lighter bags.

I don't see the point in depriving oneself of a bag that one loves just because so many others love them too. Never mind currently popular/too popular, I still own and carry bags well past their 'use by date' including H. There are also items that I get infatuated with but 'get over' even before acquiring, that's OK too - either way saves money and bother.

There have been members who have said they no longer carry their Birkins because they appear ubiquitous, coveted by people they're not keen on with and/or have become too recognisable, you can find whole threads about it. For many Birkins are simply too heavy and now go for lighter bags.

I don't see the point in depriving oneself of a bag that one loves just because so many others love them too. Never mind currently popular/too popular, I still own and carry bags well past their 'use by date' including H. There are also items that I get infatuated with but 'get over' even before acquiring, that's OK too - either way saves money and bother.

+1. Good luck to OP for completing your "exercise"

Having never bought the Birkin because it was in demand, I carry it if and when it suits my needs for the day. I agree with the posters above that it's only really seen often in certain areas around the world. If one is over the B/K/C etc, for far less than that diamond Himalaya, Hermes will custom make a bag with a unique design for you. Getting this service offered to you is a whole other thing.

I'm so glad you're over them!! I wish more people would think like u so there will be MORE FOR ME. hahahahahah (But I definitely don't buy on the resale market and DEFINITELY don't view the fun I have collecting my bags as an "exercise")
We are saturated with images all day everyday but IRL, hardly anyone knows what kind of bag I'm wearing or my scarves.... the only thing they constantly recognize is the belt. But who cares? I don't wear anything for them. Honestly, I looooooove the brand. Every department... so trendy or not, I'm in.

This comment put a smile on my face...more Bs for the rest of us! LOL
I too agree that most people don't know about H and if they know, well, that's great! That means we just have another person with whom to share our love for the brand. I first learned about brand based on friends who knew about it, and yes, you see Bs often in social media depending on who you follow, but I didn't buy any of my H items because they are in social media. I bought my H items because I am truly impressed with the quality of the brand. You can have an H item that is years old and have it look like new or at least in amazing condition. Case in point, my one and only K. She is from 1995 and looks amazing. I would be hard pressed to find many other brands that could withstand the test of time, not just in design, but in materials used.

Let's start from the beginning. When I was a kid, the Cartier Pasha was released. My Mom had her friend take me to the shop, and we were debating the Pave one or the one with the Diamond Bezel. I was happy the the latter but the friend taught me that always go for the best one so you don't have to think about it later.

The end game of this entire exercise is the Diamond Himalaya. This is the finest bag they make. This is a fact and not an opinion. There is nowhere to go from here but downwards.

It is such an absurd exercise buying from Hermes. Purchase nonsense you don't want to be able to buy the Birkin that you do want, when they have stock. I simply get my friend who is a Celebrity go in and buy whatever I want now - that is when I still cared.

I never started with a plain leather one myself. Sure, I gifted a bunch to others that was but I was first introduced to the brand when Pharrell the Singer got his Purple HAC. I thought it was the greatest thing then. I remember being sat with a certain NFL Player and he said that there is no way Pharrell paid for that. To this day I still don't know but that's how this entire obsession started. But my friend who is absolutely A List paid for every Hermes purchase, fact.

In conclusion, I am still over this bag. The resale market is no longer as extortionate as it once was, and entirely reasonable considering you have to buy all the nonsense to get what you want anyways. As such, you can get any bag you want, whenever you want providing you can afford it. I am still in the firm belief that ownership of at least one of these bags makes you someone that is relevant. EDIT: MUST BE CROC. You have to have paid for the bag yourself. I went on a date once in Per Se and my date didn't even own a Birkin whilst I had a brand new one I just unboxed upstairs at the Mandarin. Don't worry about what the general populous has or doesn't have. Birkins are not that exclusive cause you can buy it really whenever now. There's a woman in NYC, Natasha or something, sells to all the Athletes etc. and Rich, she does 3-4M USD a year reselling.

OVER IT.

absolutely, I actually had the same thought about a Cartier bracelet I hope to get for my 40th in a few months but then realized I never see them in the wild-like ever and I live in a big NE USA city with lots of wealthy areas. I see H bags in only two places, a fancy mall and an expensive condo filled neighborhood. But on tPF or IG they're everywhere.

We see lots of H because we're here, and likely follow fashion on IG and other social media etc. Combine that with Google's robots selecting search results based on interests/history/patterns and other user data and it's going to be a flood of similar imagery and news.

This is such a great point, Mrs.O, we come here to discover Hermes items, and that's what we get, but they are still quite rare in the real world. I have only seen one other Birkin in my neck of the woods, a few scarves here and there, plenty of men's ties, but that's about it. Even in my travels, I rarely see an H bag outside of an H boutique, and I stay at nice hotels and dine in nice restaurants, so they aren't as ubiquitous as would seem from social media.

Last edited:
Reactions: csetcos
This is such a great point, Mrs.O, we come here to discover Hermes items, and that's what we get, but they are still quite rare in the real world. I have only seen one other Birkin in my neck of the woods, a few scarves here and there, plenty of men's ties, but that's about it. Even in my travels, I rarely see an H bag outside of an H boutique, and I stay at nice hotels and dine in nice testaraunts, so they aren't as ubiquitous as would seem from social media.
One thing I do concede is this forum is a great resource. Not to insult you but you must be going to the wrong places. Mandarin Oriental Lobby in Hong Kong, Paris, NYC etc. you will see a ton of Crocodile Birkins at that. Cipriani, Zuma, Nobu - all those seen and be seen places, a ton. Hell, just walk around Central in Hong Kong and I guarantee you see at least ten. Knightsbridge in London...

Status
Not open for further replies.