Wearing Birkin to weddings

you mean an actual wedding a church or do you mean the banquet? I think you should check if it goes with your outfit. I don't think a birkin would go with any of the outfits i put on for a wedding banquet...a clutch would work better. my wedding outfits are quite evening formal and that just doesn't go with birkin. I think birkins are more a daytime bag. Maybe a sellier Kelly 28 would work better 😊

I carried my B30 to a wedding last weekend. It was the church ceremony during the day so I didn't look too ridiculous. The only reason why I decided to bring it was because I needed to have a water bottle with me. I had a cold so didn't want to have a coughing attack whilst the couple exchanged their vows! Usually I would bring a CHANEL classic flap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 395
I carried my B30 to a wedding last weekend. It was the church ceremony during the day so I didn't look too ridiculous. The only reason why I decided to bring it was because I needed to have a water bottle with me. I had a cold so didn't want to have a coughing attack whilst the couple exchanged their vows! Usually I would bring a CHANEL classic flap.
Lovely!!!

Hi OP - I think it depends on what type of wedding and what color and size ur Birkin is. Garden or church wedding + smallish birkin+ Appropriate color = yes for me. Just last week I attended a smallish garden daytime wedding and my 32 Gris T kelly was the best bag in my closet that matched my dress. I tied a matching twilly on it, threw on a CSGM tied as a shawl, and felt very appropriately dressed. During the ceremony, I kept my kelly on my lap and during dinner, I put it on my chair behind me. All the tables were easily seen from the dance floor and I kind of liked I could keep an eye on my bag while dancing. If I had carried a small clutch, it would've been harder for me to spot it from the dance floor. i would definitely keep the flap closed and secure on a birkin because it might be too easy or tempting to grab something from the bag if it's wide open.
I agree completely. For me, my ensemble determines which bag I carry, Birkin or otherwise. Does it complement my dress or shoes? Then whatever bag works best is a go.

Folks crack me up with all of these rules when ultimately it's all a matter of personal style and taste and I couldn't give a flip what someone else thought my motive was for carrying a bag. It never fails to surprise me how judgmental some people can be when we're on a forum talking about ridiculously expensive handbags. :biggrin:

Also, at what wedding is a random guest's bag going to take shine away from a bride??? And why is a Birkin considered casual only when there are 1000s of posts and pictures on TPF of ladies dressed to the 9s for all kinds of events carrying Birkins? So, obviously these rules are made to be broken.

OP choose whichever bag is complementary to your look and practical for the event and enjoy! :tup:

Last edited:
You look gorgeous! :tup:

There are no rules: however I would never carry a Birkin to a wedding. Maybe if it was a 25cm and a casual daytime wedding. I think a small handbag or clutch is more appropriate. I also think that for most weddings not showing off whether with attire or anything else is a key social convention.

People are having their wedding party wear all white too these days. I have a friend that did that and it was beautiful and didn't take away from her at all. If a handbag is going to upstage the bride then she needs to step up her game (I'm kidding).
Exactly! LOL! I'm like what kind of weddings are happening when a bag is pulling focus from a BRIDE. :lol:

Last edited:
I just don't think you can go wrong with a clutch- a clutch is always appropriate for a wedding, day or night.

I will respectfully disagree with the idea that rules don't matter. Certain events, like a wedding or a funeral, are not about the guests, so these are not the occasions to "break the rules" and do whatever. Following rules of attire is about being respectful.

Reactions: amaretti_
This thread is getting some very interesting feedback. Personally for me I have never carried a birkin to a wedding because all my birkins are 35 and one 30 in black. I have only carried clutches because of that. However I don't think there's anything wrong with carrying a cute 25 birkin. Why not? It's small enough and If it looks great with the outfit, why not. As for worrying about upstaging the bride with one little bag....really? I don't think so. Basicly for me, it's not about if it's appropriate to wear a birkin to a wedding. It's more of the question of does the little birkin look good with the outfit or not. If it does, go for it. Have fun because fashion shouldn't be taken so seriously.

Last edited: