Coca's bayswater

I keep the sides of my Bays tote cinched in as much as possible. I'd hate to have a gaping wing sticking out. Also, I wonder how the leather will fare under the flap in contact with the lock since there's no protective plate. As for the handles, I like for my Bays tote hands to flop a bit so that it fits in tight spaces and is easy to get in/out of. I wish that they would've lengthened the strap of the Bays a bit but left most of the other stuff alone.

+1

I'm fine with it as long as the original [real] Bays is still available, if it were a replacement I'd be less happy. There've always been bags I persinally don't like in the line up & there's always someone that buys & enjoys then.

I think that's a really sensible way of looking at it, though I hope he does something similar with the Bayswater clutch wallet; I was looking through the Mulberry wallets, and was totally taken aback by the pricing. I'd been trying to persuade myself against buying the Voyageur Dior wallet, so I was looking for something in a lower price range.

It's more expensive than the Dior clutch I bought a couple of weeks ago. :lol: Ok, you expect to pay more for the credit card slots etc, but at that price I'm happy to lob the card holders and coin purses I already own into the Dior clutch.

I can certainly understand why people would buy at the outlets rather than the shops. Of course, now I come to think about it :wondering:, I could actually save money by buying the Dior wallet. It would be downright economical!

This has been a very helpful discussion, so please accept my thanks to one and all, and as a token of my gratitude :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Hmm I'm not sure how I feel about the new design... I own an oak croc embossed bays (my one and only Mulberry) and really love it. It keeps the structured shape (at least after 6 months' use) and looks very classy and professional as a work bag. I've received so many compliments on the bag, including from colleagues and SAs at other luxury brands. The side bits on the new design loses a bit of a that classy feel...

I actually think the new design is even more a workbag than the old one: it will fit files much easier because of the new shape. Which is also why I wouldn't use is for anything else...and to spend that much on a workbag..

Sent from my LG-H815 using PurseForum mobile app

Hm. I was quite determined not to comment any further on the new collection, as I am simply not interested in the new range (Marylebone, Clifton,...). After reading the Telegraph article I cannot hold my tongue, though.
First of all I could not care less about fonts, the colour of dustbags, carrierbags and boxes or if the stores are going to be remodelled or not. Personally I think it is unwise to change those things every few years (keyword: corporate identity), but if the company thinks it is a good way to spend their money: go for it.
Also I can live very happily with the "Cocayswater". Like the other new bags it does nothing for me, I just do not need nor want it. Playing and remodelling a classic bag can be fun and I am ok with it. Bayswater and Cocayswater can exist very nicely together. What really bugs me is the fact that they do not advertise it as an alternative but as an improvement. To be honest (and without wanting to hurt anyone) the only improvement I can see is: cutting production costs. They are using less material (leather and hardware), a highly processed leather, painted edges instead of piping, and I am pretty sure that the Cocayswater is sewn together much faster than the Bayswater. Surprisingly both bags have the same price tag. This leaves me wondering who is improving here. The company or the customer?
Again I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings. I am just stating my very personal opinion. I am sorry, if anyone feels offended.

Just read the article. Bonded seams? So getting away from the craftsmanship that appealed to most when buying their mulberry and going more towards a trend led look in my opinion. Not a bag you can pass to your grandchildren. Also, looks like he's trying to move away from the tree logo and towards just spelling it out to people. Missing that the beauty of the logo is if you know it, you know it and it's not in your face. Mmm. I do like the ankle boots though. Not keen on the new bays. Will see what else he has to offer.

Hm. I was quite determined not to comment any further on the new collection, as I am simply not interested in the new range (Marylebone, Clifton,...). After reading the Telegraph article I cannot hold my tongue, though.
First of all I could not care less about fonts, the colour of dustbags, carrierbags and boxes or if the stores are going to be remodelled or not. Personally I think it is unwise to change those things every few years (keyword: corporate identity), but if the company thinks it is a good way to spend their money: go for it.
Also I can live very happily with the "Cocayswater". Like the other new bags it does nothing for me, I just do not need nor want it. Playing and remodelling a classic bag can be fun and I am ok with it. Bayswater and Cocayswater can exist very nicely together. What really bugs me is the fact that they do not advertise it as an alternative but as an improvement. To be honest (and without wanting to hurt anyone) the only improvement I can see is: cutting production costs. They are using less material (leather and hardware), a highly processed leather, painted edges instead of piping, and I am pretty sure that the Cocayswater is sewn together much faster than the Bayswater. Surprisingly both bags have the same price tag. This leaves me wondering who is improving here. The company or the customer?
Again I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings. I am just stating my very personal opinion. I am sorry, if anyone feels offended.

I agree with you. It really grates me that he is trying to convince that he has 'improved' the design 'flaws' of the bays. Ridiculous. Whatever.

Mulberry has improved bags before. I am thinking of the large lily which didn't quite hang right and something wasn't right about the proportions. The medium lily was produced which was much better looking aesthetically and became a big hit. However the first mulberry medium lily bags had a flaw where the chains would basically snap off the bag (it happened to mine). An additional strip of leather was added under the flap which seems to have solved the issues. My newer medium lily - oxblood came with this and has been fine. So for me the medium lily was an improvement on large lily. They also changed the handle length on the del rey which I think customers wanted.

However I am not certain customers were begging Coca to cheapen the design on the Bayswater and add wings. As I said if he wants to introduce a new version of the bays he could have done and named it winged bays or whatever. But to replace it/ rename his new version as if it were THE one and push the classic bays (the bag that defines mulberry, like the birkin defines Hermes and the classic flap Chanel) to one side is pure arrogance, nothing else. If he were so confident he would launch a new bag that was good enough to become the defining bag.
Rant over.