E-ring help: Tiffanys vs. Harry Winston

I am not a big fan of the halo since afraid will look dated. Out the 3 styles i like the embrace the best. How about a bigger centre diamond but keep the pave band? In the long run it is worth more than the smaller diamonds on the halo. I don't think there is much warranty anywhere regardless where you buy - mostly just resizing and rarely, polishing. Cleaning can always be done at home. Even in the store they just steam clean the ring for you quickly.
The Harry Winston one looks nice but afraid of the "jagged" corners of the centre stones will catch on delicate clothes?

Sounds like you love the HW. I don't own any HW but I own several Tiffany diamond rings. The after sales service has been great. I travel a lot and I get free cleaning at every boutique I have visited. They check the prongs on the rings every time when they clean. Every few years, I send my rings in for polishing and they are free. The prongs of two of my rings needed to be tightened a couple of years back. Tiffany found the prongs were loose during routine cleaning and they tightened the prongs for free too.

Sounds like you love the HW. I don't own any HW but I own several Tiffany diamond rings. The after sales service has been great. I travel a lot and I get free cleaning at every boutique I have visited. They check the prongs on the rings every time when they clean. Every few years, I send my rings in for polishing and they are free. The prongs of two of my rings needed to be tightened a couple of years back. Tiffany found the prongs were loose during routine cleaning and they tightened the prongs for free too.
Yeah. I know Tiffany's is great with their customer service. That's why it's been such a big debate whether to get a Tiffany's or not. It's also so convenient that there's always a store nearby me so it's no hassle to take to stores. Thanks for the reassurance!

If you like the HW design then go for it. HW has beautiful heirloom pieces! I had the same dilemma when I was picking out rings. My SO debated between a 1ct HW and a 2ct custom ring from our family jeweler (for the same price). He ended up going with the family jeweler. I love my ring and think the bigger ct looks better (proportionally) on my hand. Cleaning is not an issue bc I can bring it to the same family jeweler to clean or I can clean it at home with hot water and a toothbrush. For maintenance, I bring it back to the jeweler as well. Don't forget to consider getting insurance against your ring in case of theft/loss.
will definitely get insurance for the ring! especially if it's that expensive! thanks for the tip though! an issue i have is that i don't have a family jeweler. most of my jewelry is from big name brands like tiffanys, david yurman, cartier, etc and i would have to take it specifically to them. that's why i have more experience dealing with big name brands and would prefer to stick to it for assurance. not sure how jewelers that are around work? do most of them also provide annual check ups and warranties?

I like the HW best. Keep in mind (I had this issue) that ring styles go in and out, and the halo style, while popular now, will run its course.

When we were looking for rings, we went to a ton of places -- Tiffany, Cartier, you name it. WE wound up going to a wholesaler and getting a fabulous ring for 1/3 the price of Tiffany.

As far as cleaning/warranty goes -- in all honesty, how often will you use it? Is it worth the markup? You can easily clean an e-ring with dish soap and a soft toothbrush. Whenever I need my jewelry cleaned, I take it in to my family jeweler and they do everything for free.

Another vote for insurance for the ring. Add it to a home insurance or renter's insurance policy. That's really all the warranty you need.
As I mentioned to @angel9dreamer, an issue i have is that i don't have a family jeweler. most of my jewelry is from big name brands like tiffanys, david yurman, cartier, etc and i would have to take it specifically to them. that's why i have more experience dealing with big name brands and would prefer to stick to it for assurance. not sure how jewelers that are around work? do most of them also provide annual check ups and warranties? i've considered getting a tacori but since they didn't have a physical store and just retail at jewelers such as Michael C. Fina, it seemed to be a bit more complicated...

Reactions: champagne_xoxo
As I mentioned to @angel9dreamer, an issue i have is that i don't have a family jeweler. most of my jewelry is from big name brands like tiffanys, david yurman, cartier, etc and i would have to take it specifically to them. that's why i have more experience dealing with big name brands and would prefer to stick to it for assurance. not sure how jewelers that are around work? do most of them also provide annual check ups and warranties? i've considered getting a tacori but since they didn't have a physical store and just retail at jewelers such as Michael C. Fina, it seemed to be a bit more complicated...

I'm not sure where you're located, but you might want to ask around to see if you're near any sort of diamond district/wholesale area like in NY. Here in SF, we have the Jewelry Mart, which is where I got my stone. It's basically like a big mall and each store sells its own jewelry. In all honesty, I've never used a warranty on jewelry. As far as checkups go, I've just always taken my jewelry in and had everything checked for free. I don't think you need to put so much emphasis on two things that are really minor in comparison to the stone and its cost/quality.

I totally get that you're used to branded jewelry. But just for the fun of it, go check out non-branded diamonds if you can. I think you'll be surprised at what you may find.

If you get insurance for your ring, you don't need an extra warranty from a jeweler, because if heaven forbid you lose the stone it's covered by your policy. I'm not sure if store warranties will even cover loss of the stone. Maybe someone can chime in.

I'm not sure where you're located, but you might want to ask around to see if you're near any sort of diamond district/wholesale area like in NY. Here in SF, we have the Jewelry Mart, which is where I got my stone. It's basically like a big mall and each store sells its own jewelry. In all honesty, I've never used a warranty on jewelry. As far as checkups go, I've just always taken my jewelry in and had everything checked for free. I don't think you need to put so much emphasis on two things that are really minor in comparison to the stone and its cost/quality.

I totally get that you're used to branded jewelry. But just for the fun of it, go check out non-branded diamonds if you can. I think you'll be surprised at what you may find.

If you get insurance for your ring, you don't need an extra warranty from a jeweler, because if heaven forbid you lose the stone it's covered by your policy. I'm not sure if store warranties will even cover loss of the stone. Maybe someone can chime in.

I got my ring from a jeweler in the jewelry mart in SF too!

From the jeweler, there usually isn't a specific warranty or servicing schedule. But the insurance is suppose to cover damages, theft or loss. And I can bring my ring in for checks with my jeweler whenever I want/need to.. Which I haven't needed to do in the last 3 years.

Yeah don't think that the store covers lost of stone so I would definitely still get insurance on the ring no matter what. Looking into something like Michael C. Fina and reconsidering a tacori now. :smile: Thanks

I got my ring from a jeweler in the jewelry mart in SF too!

From the jeweler, there usually isn't a specific warranty or servicing schedule. But the insurance is suppose to cover damages, theft or loss. And I can bring my ring in for checks with my jeweler whenever I want/need to.. Which I haven't needed to do in the last 3 years.
Great. Thank you. Glad to know that the ering isn't so high maintenance. I'm considering my options with a tacori setting then. Will go visit and see if I fall in love with anything or if my heart only goes to the HW. Willing to give anything a chance. :smile:

Thank you for the support :smile:

HW hands down - i had my heart set on HW and everything was fab - HW has fantastic service so nothing to worry about there! I would consider looking at most classic/timeless pieces anywhere you may look but it sounds like you found the one - also, i know people upgrade but being very sentimental, the actual ring for your day no matter if it's HW or out of a gum ball machine would always mean most....

congrats + i say go for it!! :smile:

HW hands down - i had my heart set on HW and everything was fab - HW has fantastic service so nothing to worry about there! I would consider looking at most classic/timeless pieces anywhere you may look but it sounds like you found the one - also, i know people upgrade but being very sentimental, the actual ring for your day no matter if it's HW or out of a gum ball machine would always mean most....

congrats + i say go for it!! :smile:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking... I know people say upgrades. But I don't care for an upgrade. I rather get the BIG thing for my ering as it has most sentimental value and then have small little things down the road. Only cause it's such a BIG event in my life... haha Thank you again :heart:

The service seems to be your big concern. For the kind of money you are considering, I would go to the local jeweler have a near flawless stone and design a halo setting you love. For $10,000 you could probably pay for service and insurance for life and have some left over. Most jewelers service a big ticket item free or for a nominal charge. If it's $25 to $50 each time, that is a lot of times gor $10,000.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PurseForum mobile app