Long strand of pearls advice!

May 25, 2006
Hi ladies I need so help about a pearl necklace. I'm not a pearl girl but I have my sons communion next month and I'm wearing this black lace dress and I want to wear pearls and pumps. Looking for a classic Chanel look. So I found a long strand of faux /glass pearl like costume jewelry at target for $17 it's a 94in strand so I can wrap it like 4 times. But than I went to Tj max and found a real cultured pearl necklace for $39 it's a little shorter than the target one which is fine I can wrap it 3 or 4 times. My question is would you just keep the target one cheapie looking or would you keep the Tj max one and it being kinda of a investment of real pearls for $20 more? I'm not sure if I'll wear pearls but maybe in a couple years I might. I'm 35yrs now so maybe in a few years I might be a pearl girl. Idk what to do! Also is the strand I got young looking or for more of a older lady? I don't want to look older I'm going for a trendy chic look. Any advice or help would be great [emoji4]

Do the Target ones look 'cheap'? If so go the others...either way it's modest investment. Once you have the strand you could start wearing it with other things to see if it will become a staple in your wardrobe. I have lots of types of pearls and enjoy the mixing and matching....

E x

Hi ladies I need so help about a pearl necklace. I'm not a pearl girl but I have my sons communion next month and I'm wearing this black lace dress and I want to wear pearls and pumps. Looking for a classic Chanel look. So I found a long strand of faux /glass pearl like costume jewelry at target for $17 it's a 94in strand so I can wrap it like 4 times. But than I went to Tj max and found a real cultured pearl necklace for $39 it's a little shorter than the target one which is fine I can wrap it 3 or 4 times. My question is would you just keep the target one cheapie looking or would you keep the Tj max one and it being kinda of a investment of real pearls for $20 more? I'm not sure if I'll wear pearls but maybe in a couple years I might. I'm 35yrs now so maybe in a few years I might be a pearl girl. Idk what to do! Also is the strand I got young looking or for more of a older lady? I don't want to look older I'm going for a trendy chic look. Any advice or help would be great

Here is a photo of the target ones ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459830898.531950.jpg

Here are the real pearls from Tj max
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459830927.328705.jpg

Also here is a photo of the dress I'm going to wear. Probably going to a ivory blazer which I haven't decided for sure on and a pair of black pumps. And a longer slip underneath the dress. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1459831142.415879.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1459831156.158173.jpg

Hopefully someone else will chime in here because I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but to me the TJMaxx pearls don't look like very good cultured pearls. They're heavily ridged and it looks like the nacre is thin and chipping. When you buy pearls, whether fake or cultured, what you want to look at is the lustre and color. And you want to look at the shape and whether they're evenly sized. Great pearls have a memorable glow and shimmer. I think one is better off having one exquisite pearl on a chain than a long string of bad-looking pearls.

I love the dress and I think it looks fabulous on you. I think you should be careful with the pearls because you don't want multiple strings detracting from your beauty in the dress. If it were me I would do a single strand of very good glass fakes, not too long. Or one very beautiful pearl on a long chain but only if you think you would wear it regularly in the future.

Haha that's why I came here to get advice from you ladies cause honestly I have no idea about pearls either. I do see what you mean with the Tj max pearls they aren't perfect shape and have a lot of ridges in them. Hopefully someone who knows more about pearls and let me know if it's worth it or not. Thanks for your help bigpursesue

Also thank you for the complement I love this dress it's so elegant and chic looking. Not sure if i should even wear a blazer just thought maybe for the church since its see-through than take it off for the dinner and photos

Hopefully someone else will chime in here because I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but to me the TJMaxx pearls don't look like very good cultured pearls. They're heavily ridged and it looks like the nacre is thin and chipping. When you buy pearls, whether fake or cultured, what you want to look at is the lustre and color. And you want to look at the shape and whether they're evenly sized. Great pearls have a memorable glow and shimmer. I think one is better off having one exquisite pearl on a chain than a long string of bad-looking pearls.

I love the dress and I think it looks fabulous on you. I think you should be careful with the pearls because you don't want multiple strings detracting from your beauty in the dress. If it were me I would do a single strand of very good glass fakes, not too long. Or one very beautiful pearl on a long chain but only if you think you would wear it regularly in the future.

I agree with all of this 100%!!!

Also thank you for the complement I love this dress it's so elegant and chic looking. Not sure if i should even wear a blazer just thought maybe for the church since its see-through than take it off for the dinner and photos

That is just a great dress! And as I said you look fantastic in it. You don't want anything to detract from it, or interfere with the look and line of that lovely lace collar. Especially if you plan to wear a jacket with it. (For the jacket you should probably look for something with soft lines. Maybe a short jacket in brown or tan?) The problem with the Chanel pearl look is that all those pearls are overwhelming, they're all you see. I googled pictures and the Chanel pearl look is usually worn with a plain black dress as a background. Years ago I bought several long strings of fake pearls but I've never been able to pull off that look even with a black dress, maybe because I'm short. I look over-powered by pearls. In fact they're still in my drawer, unworn. I'll mail them to you if you like. :lol: But honestly I don't think you need the pearls, especially if you're going to be wearing a jacket part of the time. Maybe a very subtle crystal necklace?

Thanks for your input I really apprentice it and I completely understand what you're saying. The dress is to pretty to take away from it. Maybe I'll think of something else for jewelry. I'm not 100% sure about the blazer yet I haven't found one or even looked yet but I want a very delicate looking blazer one that sits open and doesn't have a buttons. And hey if you don't want the pearls I'll take them [emoji23][emoji23] that's the thing I'm afraid of that they might just sit in my jewelry box that's why I don't want to spend to much on pearls because I've never been a pearl kind of girl only for the trend. But I do love how they look if that makes sense.