Hermès with edgy/avant-garde outfits

QuelleFromage

Not my circus, not my monkeys
O.G.
Jan 15, 2011
I did a search for this topic and nada, so if I missed a thread, mods please merge :heart:

Like so many of us I have pared my bags down to almost exclusively H. I'm finding one issue - I wear a lot of Rick Owens, Yohji Yamamoto, Boris Bidjan Saberi, etc., and the more I trend toward this kind of dressing the harder I find it to integrate Hermès bags. I have some scarves that work, and a Kelly works just fine with, say a Rick leather jacket and jeans. But once I am in fully deconstructed black head to toe :P I find a hole in my bag collection. It's as though the timelessness of the designs can't quite relax enough. I know that a Gao or an Initiale or something might work, but I'd like to integrate the classic H shapes.

I know I'm not the only one here so let's see some mod shots of how you wear your H, especially Kellys, Bs, etc., with more "experimental" fashion! TIA :greengrin:

I love this idea for a thread! My typical outfit is a RO leather jacket, combat boots and a Constance. I think it has more to do with what colors you were than the style of h bags themselves. I will try to add some mod shots here in the next few days.

Since I'm regularly in Issey Miyake/Commes des Garcons and Hermès—as well as other combos—I can look around at my pictures to share. I find wearing H and these just a simple matter of putting them on together.

Margiela bags work better: Lindy in the hand, Initial etc. Other bags like the Faco, Lady Clutch, DS, Hazlan, Bolide, Plume, PB, even an all-leather GP etc also work, Maybe it's the trad hardware of the B and the K that can jar.

I haven't been into AG designers/vibe for a while (apart from footwear) my modern is mostly Mod or clean contemporary but you make me want to diggin' though my wardrobe

Reactions: prepster
There is a photo and info in this thread you might find interesting; there are Yamamoto for Hermes designs around but they were hard to find even when first launched:

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/hermes-and-yohji-yamamoto-254979.html

The Commes des Garcons collab (but just scarves):
http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/comme-des-garcons-x-hermes-787428-1.html

I know your question is broader but these are food for thought in this discussion!

Thank you mistikat!! I didn't even remember the Yohji collab. This is definitely creative inspiration.

I love this idea for a thread! My typical outfit is a RO leather jacket, combat boots and a Constance. I think it has more to do with what colors you were than the style of h bags themselves. I will try to add some mod shots here in the next few days.

That would be fantastic. I'm dying to see how you combine a look!

Here's a super recent pic—H Maxi Twilly with Issey Miyake mainline jacket, Dries van Noten pants and Trippen (Berlin av-garde) shoes... For a bag, either a little orange Trim or black saddlebag (I don't know the Hermes name) will be easy.

I hoped you might chime in as you have been going to the avant side lately! More photos....:biggrin:

Margiela bags work better: Lindy in the hand, Initial etc. Other bags like the Faco, Lady Clutch, DS, Hazlan, Bolide, Plume, PB, even an all-leather GP etc also work, Maybe it's the trad hardware of the B and the K that can jar.

I haven't been into AG designers/vibe for a while (apart from footwear) my modern is mostly Mod or clean contemporary but you make me want to diggin' though my wardrobe

I would love to see some looks from you and from everyone in this forum who leans in this direction sartorially. While I know there are wardrobe threads and a specific RO thread, the H subforum has so many stylish people who are great at making the classic look fresh....it's this crowd I'd love to see in your avant mode!
I have been wondering for a while what to wear with my "slouchy blacks" and then DH picked me up a new RO jacket (green!) and a long Yohji skirt yesterday, and I just thought....can I wear a Kelly with this? I wanted to buy this edgy little backpack and DH said "But you only wear Hermes bags"....

So bring on the looks :graucho:

Reactions: prepster
Evies work well with the perforated H facing in. I knot the canvas and carry them as a shoulder bag sometimes. Works great with big Issey Miyaki coats and are a great travel combo.

I am loving this new thread cus I love edgy / Avant clothing, currently own few pieces of Rick Owens, Yohji Yamamot jacket/shawl, Comme des Garcons cardigan and two piece long dress all in black (plus few other contemporary brands)...and I love asymmetrical dresses.

I am mostly wearing black from head to toe. :lol: I find my Black B30 and RC Kelly are easy going with my all black clothing.

QuelleFromage & louboutal ~ Cant wait to see yours!!

arabesques ~ Love love your Issey Miyake jacket with Maxi twilly!

Both jacket/coat by Rick Owens... I posted these on my recent RC K32 reveal:

Asymmetrical dress by Cop. Copine with Black B30 & chrome hearts jewelry:

Last edited:
Arabesques and Tonkamama, you both look fabulous!

QF, for what it's worth, I think a Kelly (especially a black one) can go with almost any edgy outfit. Some photos I've collected from around tPF over the years to give some examples:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1457495209.575485.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1457495227.990269.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1457495255.439851.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1457495275.956629.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1457495295.492938.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1457495340.296826.jpg

I am loving this new thread cus I love edgy / Avant clothing, currently own few pieces of Rick Owens, Yohji Yamamot jacket/shawl, Comme des Garcons cardigan and two piece long dress all in black (plus few other contemporary brands)...and I love asymmetrical dresses.

I am mostly wearing black from head to toe. :lol: I find my Black B30 and RC Kelly are easy going with my all black clothing.

QuelleFromage & louboutal ~ Cant wait to see yours!!

arabesques ~ Love love your Issey Miyake jacket with Maxi twilly!

Both jacket/coat by Rick Owens... I posted these on my recent RC K32 reveal:

Asymmetrical dress by Cop. Copine with Black B30 & chrome hearts jewelry:

Tonkamama, what great looks! I would never have dreamed a red K could look so fantastic (and that coat is amazing). I was a bit nervous to post this thread, and now I know that we will have some incredible style inspiration from it :smile:

Arabesques and Tonkamama, you both look fabulous!

QF, for what it's worth, I think a Kelly (especially a black one) can go with almost any edgy outfit. Some photos I've collected from around tPF over the years to give some examples:

View attachment 3296848
View attachment 3296851
View attachment 3296852
View attachment 3296853
View attachment 3296854
View attachment 3296857

Cats!! I was hoping you would jump in here. I owe you a call/mail. :hugs:
What a great selection of images here - pretty much reinforcing the Kelly as a perfect bag! So excited to see more, and to see the ways our H forum members put together the edgier ensembles!

I did a search for this topic and nada, so if I missed a thread, mods please merge :heart:

Like so many of us I have pared my bags down to almost exclusively H. I'm finding one issue - I wear a lot of Rick Owens, Yohji Yamamoto, Boris Bidjan Saberi, etc., and the more I trend toward this kind of dressing the harder I find it to integrate Hermès bags. I have some scarves that work, and a Kelly works just fine with, say a Rick leather jacket and jeans. But once I am in fully deconstructed black head to toe :P I find a hole in my bag collection. It's as though the timelessness of the designs can't quite relax enough. I know that a Gao or an Initiale or something might work, but I'd like to integrate the classic H shapes.

I know I'm not the only one here so let's see some mod shots of how you wear your H, especially Kellys, Bs, etc., with more "experimental" fashion! TIA :greengrin:

What about the looks of one of the socialites in the Asians and H thread. I forgot her name, but she always pairs her looks with dainty H's and I think it looks really nice. She is the one with the short hair cut into a bob. I know she wears a LOT of avant-garde designer clothes.

Personally I think if the bag is smaller and it is in black with PHW hardware it could generally work or the So Blacks (they look so stealth like and bada$$ or RHW or any hardware that is like a dark silver or matte). However I think the general aesthetic of Hermes bags (namely the Birkin or the Kelly) juxtaposes against the avant-garde nature of the clothes that you might wear. The intentional clash of design language in the bag/clothes could create an edgy look too.

I am not sure if Chanel made a So Black of the Boy bags, but I think that would look killer with an outfit comprised of RO, Yohji, etc.

Her name is Au Skulthai.

I don't think Chanel has released any So Black Boy (yet) ~ I will be wait in line for one LOL :biggrin:. I often wear RO jackets with my Chanel boys...

What about the looks of one of the socialites in the Asians and H thread. I forgot her name, but she always pairs her looks with dainty H's and I think it looks really nice. She is the one with the short hair cut into a bob. I know she wears a LOT of avant-garde designer clothes.

Personally I think if the bag is smaller and it is in black with PHW hardware it could generally work or the So Blacks (they look so stealth like and bada$$ or RHW or any hardware that is like a dark silver or matte). However I think the general aesthetic of Hermes bags (namely the Birkin or the Kelly) juxtaposes against the avant-garde nature of the clothes that you might wear. The intentional clash of design language in the bag/clothes could create an edgy look too.

I am not sure if Chanel made a So Black of the Boy bags, but I think that would look killer with an outfit comprised of RO, Yohji, etc.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 1,855
Reactions: papertiger