Sable in Action

Thanks everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it! As for practicality, it doesn't need be be too 'practical'. I don't live in NYC, Aspen, Europe, or Russia where people walk all over in the extreme cold for long periods of time. I'd probably never walk more than a block wearing this coat, nor spend more than 15 minutes outside. I have very 'practical' longer coats for that!

So anyhow.....they sent me a photo, this is NOT me! I have light brown hair with blonde highlights and the dark coats (even if they last longer) are not flattering on me at all. I'd have to go lighter and I love the lighter color. Also, this coat is a large and looks big on the model and me, so they would need to order the medium which wouldn't look as big as it does in the photo. I tried the small on and it fit, but we all thought it would be better to have a little extra room. Anyhow, I'm on the fence! The SA said she'd try to get the store manage to extend the discount til Monday for me if I want it.

I actually love this length, but wouldn't mind a coat to hit my upper thighs. Too many decisions to make! :biggrin:

The second photo is the longest I would go, but I do like this length as well. About mid-thigh.

I must say both are fabulous so it makes the decision harder. I do prefer them to hit mid thigh too - that is my preferred length. The shore you post is also really nice though.

Best of luck Dear Sable-ista - exciting times. Enjoy your purchase.

I like the second one better. If darker sable does not suit your skin tone, you might want to consider the tortora color. I have one in a mid-length vest. See the photo below. I found the color very versatile.

View attachment 3199979

Hi I haven't posted here but today I tried some coats this one was too big and makes me so big, I can most probably restyle it as I can get it at 50% off, just wondering if it would look less bulky, any advice would be highly appreciated))

And a short jacket which is too short on me, but the size is right, not the right clothes, but for the idea))

Getting a sable altered is often done I think because the pelts are so expensive that relatively the altering isn't. I love that first coat you post. I am so jealous not to be buying sable!

It looks like if something could be done about reducing the chest/underarm/top-back/yoke proportionally, the sleeves could be reset (so their extra length may come in handy).

Is this at a furriers or dept store? Is there someone (besides SA) to advise you categorically/absolutely on what could be done/costs?

If not ring round some furriers before you buy the coat and describe what needs doing and get a quite. I'm not talking about these fur dealers I mean people who make jackets/coats and repair and remodel. If they don't make, alter and sell new sables don't bother asking because obviously they're not in the right league.

Hi papertiger, it is a dept store, today they called me and said that they spoke with some furrier and it could be fixed, but I decided to wait first to see if they can find me the right size. so let's see

I must say both are fabulous so it makes the decision harder. I do prefer them to hit mid thigh too - that is my preferred length. The shore you post is also really nice though.

Best of luck Dear Sable-ista - exciting times. Enjoy your purchase.

Getting a sable altered is often done I think because the pelts are so expensive that relatively the altering isn't. I love that first coat you post. I am so jealous not to be buying sable!

thank you, I'm afraid that I might not like it after it has been altered. I love fur and sable, but not sure I can wear it well. I have a mink coat that sits in my closet and a ferragamo astrakhan coat, which is long and light and DH alsways gives it as an example of me buying things that i don't wear :cool:

OK ladies, I'm having very serious second thoughts on the sable jacket! :thinking: I love the coat, it's not about the coat itself, but I don't know if it will fit into my casual life style. I'm very casual overall (rarely wear dresses and skirts) and I feel the sable is so extravagant and 'fancy', I don't know if sable is the right choice for me. I see all the gorgeous Russian models in their sables, but I don't have a life like them or dress like them. The coat is mine if I want it, it's been paid for but I don't have to take it when it comes in on Thursday. It's a gorgeous coat, but I don't want to get something so expensive and barely wear it!

I don't know if I should choose a less extravagant looking fur, such as mink? I'd still want the shorter jacket length to go with my casual look. What do you ladies think?

OK ladies, I'm having very serious second thoughts on the sable jacket! :thinking: I love the coat, it's not about the coat itself, but I don't know if it will fit into my casual life style. I'm very casual overall (rarely wear dresses and skirts) and I feel the sable is so extravagant and 'fancy', I don't know if sable is the right choice for me. I see all the gorgeous Russian models in their sables, but I don't have a life like them or dress like them. The coat is mine if I want it, it's been paid for but I don't have to take it when it comes in on Thursday. It's a gorgeous coat, but I don't want to get something so expensive and barely wear it!

I don't know if I should choose a less extravagant looking fur, such as mink? I'd still want the shorter jacket length to go with my casual look. What do you ladies think?

I think sable is such a classic it will work for you. I vote keep. It can be casual and it can be more formal - it will last 30 years plus.

Reactions: pianolize

Ah my dear girl :hugs: I feel like I literally want to hug you and tell you (like they do in those L'Oreal ads) you are worth it. Obviously, your wonderful SO does too or he wouldn't even consider it.

As you know, I'm not a oligarch's daughter or royalty. I travel on a train with a sable and no one knows what on earth I'm wearing. For good or bad only those that know know ;) and they are pretty rare. I wear my jacket with 'whatever' day and/or night, just as anyone would a mink or a faux. They look great with jeans, flares, all kinds of trousers, no need to even change for the evening, just an added necklace and change of bag - bang, ready to go. You will have the jacket for many, many years and plenty of time to grow used to it.

I would just suggest trying on the med size, and if it fits and you like it on, take it home, try it with outfits you already have. Wear it just at at home just for your lovely SO at first, then for the odd night just the two of you and you will get braver when you realise very few notice and very few care. Just try ;)

Thank you for your vote Prada_Princess!

I think sable is such a classic it will work for you. I vote keep. It can be casual and it can be more formal - it will last 30 years plus.

You are too sweet papertiger. Yes, it is hard for me to feel I should be wearing something like the sable. But I had to laugh because my SO and I disgusted exactly what you said, bolded! Only the people who are in the know, would know, and that's how I'd want it. I agree the short jacket is the most versatile for me and my lifestyle and I can wear it with anything and everything.

I appreciate your kind words! I will see how the medium looks when it comes in and decide then :smile:

Ah my dear girl :hugs: I feel like I literally want to hug you and tell you (like they do in those L'Oreal ads) you are worth it. Obviously, your wonderful SO does too or he wouldn't even consider it.

As you know, I'm not a oligarch's daughter or royalty. I travel on a train with a sable and no one knows what on earth I'm wearing. For good or bad only those that know know ;) and they are pretty rare. I wear my jacket with 'whatever' day and/or night, just as anyone would a mink or a faux. They look great with jeans, flares, all kinds of trousers, no need to even change for the evening, just an added necklace and change of bag - bang, ready to go. You will have the jacket for many, many years and plenty of time to grow used to it.

I would just suggest trying on the med size, and if it fits and you like it on, take it home, try it with outfits you already have. Wear it just at at home just for your lovely SO at first, then for the odd night just the two of you and you will get braver when you realise very few notice and very few care. Just try ;)

Thank you for your vote Prada_Princess!

You are too sweet papertiger. Yes, it is hard for me to feel I should be wearing something like the sable. But I had to laugh because my SO and I disgusted exactly what you said, bolded! Only the people who are in the know, would know, and that's how I'd want it. I agree the short jacket is the most versatile for me and my lifestyle and I can wear it with anything and everything.

I appreciate your kind words! I will see how the medium looks when it comes in and decide then :smile:

Another vote for YES. Life is short. Go for it.

Yes yes yes! But then you'd expect that answer on this thread. Seriously though - it will be fabulous.