Travel NEW ORLEANS! tips - questions - advice

Planning a trip to NO... i just read this entire thread and there's a lot of great recommendations. However, where can one find amazing crawfish? The messy cajun crawfish that you need a bib for? Haha

If you can PM me, I will forward a list of our favorite dining spots in NoLa. We go 4 or 5 times a year to visit my MIL. The best months to visit are May and October when the humidity tends to be lower.

Hubby and I want to go away for a long weekend in October. Thursday - Monday. I would like to stay either in or near French quarter so we can walk to and from hotel and things. Can anyone help me out with hotel recommendations? Also is is better to go during the weekend or during the weekday? Should I do a Tuesday - Friday instead? So far hubby went on a business trip
For a week and stayed at the royal Sonesta. He said it was nice. Any other suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans, and it was very nice and comfortable. Very easy walking around the French Quarter. We were there for a long weekend, and it was as lively as you could imagine. Did notice that some restaurants we wanted to try were closed on Monday though, so plan accordingly.

We go every year in October for Krewe of Boo (during Halloween). We've stayed at pretty much every hotel (4 star and up) in NO over the years (decades?). So far there was really only one hotel I didn't like and it was the one that's known for their peanut butter sandwich late night snack. I can't remember the name which is crazy because we just stayed there two months ago lol. That hotel reminds me of The Shining for some reason. THE only place in NO that you can get nasty catfish which is saying A LOT!

We got the "Plantation Suite" which was a two bedroom suite with a sitting room. My word, I thought those twins from the shining would be waiting for me in the hall lol. That place was so creepy, old, extremely ornate, and dirty. Never again.

We booked at the last minute and that's what we get lol. My Mr is a hotel snob and he was ready to go as SOON as we got there! And it's supposed to be 4.2 star!

If I had to pick a favorite I'd say The Ritz but it's pricey, of course. However, it's the Ritz, you get what you pay for. It's right on Canal street and you easily access French Quarter and surrounding attractions from there.

Oh goodness me. That sounds scary! Lol. Please I. Just know the name of the hotel not to stay in. Lol. Thanks for the info. Have you ever stayed at the inn on bourbon street or something like that?

I love New Orleans. Just got back from a long weekend there (have been there a handful of times). We stayed at the Bourbon Orleans this time which is my fave of any place we stayed. It is literally steps from both Bourbon Street and Jackson Square. There is a lovely (if a little small) salt water pool and the service was impeccable - very nice bar, too. There was also a bottle of champagne awaiting us for my bday, which was a nice touch.

I've been there during the week and on weekends. Bourbon Street always gets a little crazy in the evenings, but as long as it isn't a major event weekend, it isn't terrible. There are so many great restaurants and shops in the area - Decatur, Royal St ... And if you are in good health, walking around the entire Quarter area is easy and fun (and I have never felt unsafe).

A restaurant recommendation - I had the best breakfast of my life at Cafe Amalie. We had the shrimp and grits appetizer and I had a biscuit/pork/sunny up egg thing that was to die for!

Last edited:
We go every year in October for Krewe of Boo (during Halloween). We've stayed at pretty much every hotel (4 star and up) in NO over the years (decades?). So far there was really only one hotel I didn't like and it was the one that's known for their peanut butter sandwich late night snack. I can't remember the name which is crazy because we just stayed there two months ago lol. That hotel reminds me of The Shining for some reason. THE only place in NO that you can get nasty catfish which is saying A LOT!

We got the "Plantation Suite" which was a two bedroom suite with a sitting room. My word, I thought those twins from the shining would be waiting for me in the hall lol. That place was so creepy, old, extremely ornate, and dirty. Never again.

We booked at the last minute and that's what we get lol. My Mr is a hotel snob and he was ready to go as SOON as we got there! And it's supposed to be 4.2 star!

If I had to pick a favorite I'd say The Ritz but it's pricey, of course. However, it's the Ritz, you get what you pay for. It's right on Canal street and you easily access French Quarter and surrounding attractions from there.
Was it Le Pavillon?

Oh goodness me. That sounds scary! Lol. Please I. Just know the name of the hotel not to stay in. Lol. Thanks for the info. Have you ever stayed at the inn on bourbon street or something like that?

As a matter of fact I have for a girls trip maybe about six years ago. It is very boutique-style. The parking was pretty cramped. Iirc it could get pretty noisy outside because it seemed to be right in the center of things. Try to get a higher floor to avoid the noise at night. I think we were on the second. Since it was for a girls trip the noise didn't bother us at night because by the time we got back to the room we had so much to drink we couldn't hear anything that night.

The rooms were decent and clean. Nothing spectacular. The halls didn't remind me of The Shining so that's a plus. It's one of those hotels that's functional and good for changing clothes to hang out in the city - no bad but not excellent. Staff was really nice.

DH and I just returned from a trip to NoLa to help my MIL move. We stayed in a wonderful inn called Creole Gardens. At first I was hesitant to stay there because it's located in the lower Garden District in a once "rough" neighborhood. There is rebuilding in the neighborhood with a strong sense of community. We really enjoyed our visit and the hospitality of the staff. The cook, Annie, serves a full breakfast every morning. Parking is free. All of the rooms are uniquely appointed. The courtyard is just beautiful and provides a tranquil environment to relax and chat with friends.
IMG_1500740324.805921.jpgIMG_1500740346.972787.jpg