Should I buy my first luxury piece of jewelry, or spend it on travel?

Thank you for the travel tips! I think, knowing myself, that I will be spending a lot of time walking and eating, baguette/croissant/crepe in hand! LOL! :lol:

That's how I remember Paris, the best meals were the ones where we bought a fresh baguette and a chunk of cheese and sat on park benches eating, and crepes from the street carts.. Like heaven!!

You're definitely making the right choice doing Paris on a budget and shopping there. I always find I treasure a purchase much more when they're accompanied with the memories of a great trip and travel.

Such a wonderful dilemma to be in! Enjoy!

Thank you for the advice. I will share when (if??) I get anything!

Thank you for the link!

Thanks for the feedback :smile:

Well, I hope I'd love it enough that I wouldn't want to sell it! But this is a good point that I hadn't even thought of.

I like this one! More enablement :graucho:

I'd be going in May, so sort-of off season. I wish I could travel during some random month like November though...I'm sure prices would be so great.

What airline did you take? Was it economy class?
Trust me...I am all about the win/ win suggestion. Most of the fab things in life come from France anyway...I know some of my fav things do...Champ/ Chanel/ Hermes/ Cartier...go there and see how Paris truly is...drink some champagne, have a baguette and walk the city streets. Visit the shops...then make your jewelry purchase. You may change your mind on what to buy after you see how the French women dress...so stylish and elegant.

You're definitely making the right choice doing Paris on a budget and shopping there. I always find I treasure a purchase much more when they're accompanied with the memories of a great trip and travel.

Thanks for the feedback!

Trust me...I am all about the win/ win suggestion. Most of the fab things in life come from France anyway....

Darn right! Thank you for replying!

Non! You mustn't eat and walk. That is a cultural no no in France!

That's what those cute cafe tables are for!

Ahhhhh! OMG! Thank you for telling me this! I would have totally committed the faux pas and then I really would be such a typical tourist! You have saved me. :P

I just want to say I love this thread!
OP, what a fabulous position to be in. You are inspiring me to get on a plane asap!

I love the idea of Paris and getting yourself something as a memento. Does not have to be the best jewelry purchase of your life. Just a great memory.
So inspiring . Can't wait to read more.

Look at the amount of words you used trying to justify that it's okay to buy yourself a nice piece of jewelry rather than going to Paris. :biggrin:

Your gut is telling you that you should buy the jewelry...but don't get too hung up on investment only. Go look in a few places and buy something that you fall in love with and will make you happy every time you look at it. If you can't fall in love with anything you see, then you're just trying to convince yourself that you should get jewelry for investment purposes. In that case, get a bond or mutual fund.... and THEN go to Paris later on.

There are times in life to be practical, and times to be carefree. Only you can decide which is more important in your life right now.

This.

OP,
Get yourself some really nice jewelry that makes your heart sing with joy! :love:

Paris is lovely but if you're well travelled its not new to you. If you're visiting Paris for the first time in your life, it should be a love trip with a special person. Otherwise you might not like it. Sorry if I offend someone :smile:

Non! You mustn't eat and walk. That is a cultural no no in France!

That's what those cute cafe tables are for!

True, don't eat and walk. :smile:

But by all means, do shop for some delicious accoutrements for a delicious pique-nique on the Champ de Mars with the Eiffel Tower within view.

I like what several posters have suggested about getting a nice souvenir in Paris - it doesn't have to be the bling of all blings, but something precious that will remind you of your time in Paris. You will find a lot of stores selling fabulous used jewelry. I came across one near Ile Saint-Louis that had several Hermes pieces in stock - the prices were deeply discounted!

5K is a lot to drop on one piece of jewelry - you have to really, really like it very much. A piece that you can see yourself wearing for a long time. I lusted after the Trinity ring so much, that I was practically salivating at the thought of owning one. After wearing it almost daily for a few months, I missed wearing my fun pieces on my right hand (since I only wear one ring at a time on my R hand). I started alternating the Trinity with my other pieces. Before long, it was spending too much time in my drawer that it got moved to the safe, where it has now been laying for years. :sad:

I do like to get a "goodie" to remind me of my trips, but I make sure it's something more fun than precious. I did go to the Hermes store in Paris and ended up with a classic black enamel bracelet. It's a fun piece, and although I don't wear it everyday, it doesn't bother me that it sits in the drawer most of the time.

What a delicious dilemma! My vote is for travel, with a little bling thrown in. Do let us know what you decide to do. :biggrin:

I would vote paris :smile: anytime I can travel I do so; free time is more hard to come by than money once you work/have kids etc. but with $5000 you can surely do both (I have seen trinity second hand for pretty steep discounts off full price online-several sites that validate their authenticity not just eBay).
In Paris, I advise staying in the 3rd, 4th, 6th or 7th arrondissement (area) in a studio rental. It is a much more authentic experience than a hotel. Many arrondissements on the perimeter are cheaper, can be equally safe, and easily accessible by metro so check those out as well. Paris is my favorite city!!

I loved Paris. I buy most of my jewelry at estate sales. I almost got my first Cartier ring in Avingion, France at an estate jewelry shop in the village. Too bad French women are ridiculously skinny and I could not get on my size 6 ring finger. I got an Eiffel tower charm from Tiffany when we returned.

I just want to say I love this thread!
OP, what a fabulous position to be in. You are inspiring me to get on a plane asap!

I love the idea of Paris and getting yourself something as a memento. Does not have to be the best jewelry purchase of your life. Just a great memory.
So inspiring . Can't wait to read more.

Awww, thank you

If you're visiting Paris for the first time in your life, it should be a love trip with a special person. Otherwise you might not like it. Sorry if I offend someone :smile:

AHAHHAHAHAHA!:lol: Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I'm single (and happy with that!) right now :lol::lol::lol: Paris=City of Romance, huh?

I came across one near Ile Saint-Louis that had several Hermes pieces in stock - the prices were deeply discounted!

5K is a lot to drop on one piece of jewelry - you have to really, really like it very much. A piece that you can see yourself wearing for a long time. I lusted after the Trinity ring so much, that I was practically salivating at the thought of owning one. After wearing it almost daily for a few months, I missed wearing my fun pieces on my right hand (since I only wear one ring at a time on my R hand). I started alternating the Trinity with my other pieces. Before long, it was spending too much time in my drawer that it got moved to the safe, where it has now been laying for years. :sad:

I do like to get a "goodie" to remind me of my trips, but I make sure it's something more fun than precious. I did go to the Hermes store in Paris and ended up with a classic black enamel bracelet. It's a fun piece, and although I don't wear it everyday, it doesn't bother me that it sits in the drawer most of the time.

What a delicious dilemma! My vote is for travel, with a little bling thrown in. Do let us know what you decide to do. :biggrin:

Thank you for sharing your experience--it's super helpful to me! (Time to take the Trinity out of the safe? :graucho:)

In Paris, I advise staying in the 3rd, 4th, 6th or 7th arrondissement (area) in a studio rental. It is a much more authentic experience than a hotel. Many arrondissements on the perimeter are cheaper, can be equally safe, and easily accessible by metro so check those out as well. Paris is my favorite city!!

Thank you for the advice! This is what I was planning to do--the nightly rate for an apartment rental is MUCH cheaper than most hotels!!

I loved Paris. I buy most of my jewelry at estate sales. I almost got my first Cartier ring in Avingion, France at an estate jewelry shop in the village. Too bad French women are ridiculously skinny and I could not get on my size 6 ring finger. I got an Eiffel tower charm from Tiffany when we returned.

Uh oh. I have a size 5-6 finger too. :P

AHAHHAHAHAHA!:lol: Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I'm single (and happy with that!) right now :lol::lol::lol: Paris=City of Romance, huh?

Not really

You see, it's a very specific city...
I don't know if you ever been to European cities before. Rome maybe, London or Barcelona? Those cities are not like Paris, and that's why many people are often disappointed when they visit it for the first time alone. At first impression Paris is often may seem cold and unwelcoming to a single person. But if they're with their loved ones, Paris will be seen from a different perspective - city of love ;)

At least that's my personal opinion, and opinion of my friends.
Don't get me wrong, I love Paris, lived and worked there :smile:

I'd be going in May, so sort-of off season. I wish I could travel during some random month like November though...I'm sure prices would be so great.

What airline did you take? Was it economy class?

We took United Economy. We took advantage of a pricing error and paid $570 RT each for 4 tickets. My husband bought his parents' tickets separately for $1206? $1230?