Got my feelings hurt today. = (

I'll begin with my premise. I'm probably in the lower middle class income wise, so everything nice I get I take very good care of. Sometimes , I ask my assistant director for some financial advice to see where I can cut corners and squeeze every penny there is. She's normally very nice and knowledgeable and great with finances.

Flash forward, after paying off debts and being responsible with my income tax money, I purchased a Louis Vuitton. (The ellipse MM) I got it new for a great price and was proud of that.

Meanwhile my bills are always paid, my family is fed and happy and get pretty much whatever they want or need within reason. I had a little extra money set aside and got one last LV purse (my mini sarria)

I wore this purse today and my assistant director says to me ... "Is that a new purse?" I replied, "yes, but I didn't pay full price if that's what you mean.."

She says, "what brand is it?"
Me: Louis Vuitton
She says, " I can't believe a person in your financial situation would waste their money on something like that. I guess you really don't have all of your priorities in order. I can't even look at you right now.....

She went on and on and basically said a purse is nothing but something you put your crap in...

I don't know. I just felt hurt by her saying all this, and she did it in front of my director, who didn't say anything but, "I don't have a purse fetish.. " ( they carry Michael kors)

It made me feel like because I'm not in the same league and tax bracket that they are, I'm not entitled to a few indulgences. :sad:. None of my purchases came out of our family bank account. No bills or needs went unmet. I dunno. Just made me felt bad and wanted to talk to people that understand me. Thanks for listening. :sad:
They probably didn't realize how hurtful they were being, although they likely did know that they weren't being nice. It sounds like the asst director was thinking out loud - she probably can't wrap her head around the fact that you would feel comfortable spending that kind of money on a purse because she never would. She may feel like she can't "afford" a LV so is confused and somewhat jealous that you can. Everyone picks and chooses their battles differently when it comes to finances. Don't worry about it. I don't carry my bags at work because I would rather not subject myself to negative comments, although I commend those who carry theirs without a care.

On another note, how/where did you buy your new bag for a good price? Is it an unused preowned? Just curious since LV doesn't have any sales . . .

They probably didn't realize how hurtful they were being, although they likely did know that they weren't being nice. It sounds like the asst director was thinking out loud - she probably can't wrap her head around the fact that you would feel comfortable spending that kind of money on a purse because she never would. She may feel like she can't "afford" a LV so is confused and somewhat jealous that you can. Everyone picks and chooses their battles differently when it comes to finances. Don't worry about it. I don't carry my bags at work because I would rather not subject myself to negative comments, although I commend those who carry theirs without a care.

On another note, how/where did you buy your new bag for a good price? Is it an unused preowned? Just curious since LV doesn't have any sales . . .

She is one of those that speaks her mind and really doesn't care if she hurts your feelings... "Keep it real" sort of person.

I conserve every penny and dime, so when I'm ready to buy something I'm a hawk in eBay. You'd be shocked how there are some people that sell their things and either don't care what they get for it and or don't really list their items that great. You just have to look for good deals. Like I said earlier, I don't have the income to necessarily buy from the boutique, but you can bet I can buy the exact same thing for less on ebay with a little bit of patience and know how.

She is one of those that speaks her mind and really doesn't care if she hurts your feelings... "Keep it real" sort of person.

I conserve every penny and dime, so when I'm ready to buy something I'm a hawk in eBay. You'd be shocked how there are some people that sell their things and either don't care what they get for it and or don't really list their items that great. You just have to look for good deals. Like I said earlier, I don't have the income to necessarily buy from the boutique, but you can bet I can buy the exact same thing for less on ebay with a little bit of patience and know how.
Congrats on you ebay success! I have lurked but have never pulled the trigger. I noticed the individual sellers (who sell from their own collections as opposed to the third party mass resellers) tend to list some really good deals.

It's no ones business what you buy, no matter how close they are with you at work and making you feel bad is wrong and disrespectful , there's no excuses for it ! I hope you enjoy your bags and everyone has to learn to ignore the negativity in their lives and try to focus on the positive !

Sadly, social etiquette is a rarity these days. I'm all for freedom of speech but some people really don't know how to mind their own business or learn some tact. It's one thing to think privately to oneself "That's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a bag" but to openly say it to another person's face and make them feel bad about it for no apparent reason other than pure malice (or worse, pure ignorance) is uncalled for. That being said, these situations happen all the time and are not limited to the workplace environment. My advice is to just be the bigger person and don't let it get to you.

I'll begin with my premise. I'm probably in the lower middle class income wise, so everything nice I get I take very good care of. Sometimes , I ask my assistant director for some financial advice to see where I can cut corners and squeeze every penny there is. She's normally very nice and knowledgeable and great with finances.

Flash forward, after paying off debts and being responsible with my income tax money, I purchased a Louis Vuitton. (The ellipse MM) I got it new for a great price and was proud of that.

Meanwhile my bills are always paid, my family is fed and happy and get pretty much whatever they want or need within reason. I had a little extra money set aside and got one last LV purse (my mini sarria)

I wore this purse today and my assistant director says to me ... "Is that a new purse?" I replied, "yes, but I didn't pay full price if that's what you mean.."

She says, " I can't believe a person in your financial situation would waste their money on something like that. I guess you really don't have all of your priorities in order. I can't even look at you right now.....

She went on and on and basically said a purse is nothing but something you put your crap in...

I don't know. I just felt hurt by her saying all this, and she did it in front of my director, who didn't say anything but, "I don't have a purse fetish.. " ( they carry Michael kors)

It made me feel like because I'm not in the same league and tax bracket that they are, I'm not entitled to a few indulgences. :sad:. None of my purchases came out of our family bank account. No bills or needs went unmet. I dunno. Just made me felt bad and wanted to talk to people that understand me. Thanks for listening. :sad:

Don't feel bad!!!!! You didn't do anything wrong, wear your purse with pride :smile:! *hugs*

I'm very grateful to have found TPF, too (my wallet says otherwise). But, I hope this forum helps you come to terms with the judgment so that you can truly enjoy your acquisitions. Unless your finances directly affects them, they should be wise enough to leave your spending alone.

I think spoiling yourself is needed every once and a while.

From a person who doesn't know who you are at all i'm playing devils advocate, since i'm a big money person. If you go to someone for financial advice and they know your money (to an extent) and you come in a "flash" a ~$1500 "brand name" purse I can completely understand her response. I don't condone her response nor do I think it's a very nice one. To her, she probably looked at it and thought it was a slap in the face. Since you spent so much money on something and you are going to her for cutting corners. Logically that makes no sense to purchase an expensive purse when you are cutting corners.

Now, as a person who thinks you should do what ever you want. I say don't go to her for advice anymore and carry WHATEVER makes you happy!!

Sorry OP that this happened to you. In the future do not share or ask for any financial advice from your Assistant Director about your personal financial situation. What she said to you was wrong, but to say it in front of your boss was dirty. Continue to speak to her, but I would leave it at that.